Everyone else is giving idiotic answers...

Options
I posted this on another site and I felt I made myself clear that my diet has not changed, and my son isn't nursing more, or less...but they still tell me "Maybe he's nursing more and building your supply" which wouldn't make since...and they also keep asking if my diet has changed. SO I am going to post my exact thread over here and hope I can get some better advice....

I am BFing my 9 month old and have noticed lately that my breasts seem to fill faster, leak more (I haven't had leaking issues in months!) He isn't nursing more often. About the same as usual really. Night before last he slept through the night for once, so I expected them to feel really full when I woke up. And last night he only woke once. Usually he wakes several times. So I guess that could explain why they are so full in the mornings but it doesn't account for the rest of the day. Earlier today he was crying (his sister was making him mad taking toys from him) and I started leaking everywhere- And he had just eaten not long before that! My diet has been about the same as usual as well. What is going on?

BFing mean breast feeding for anyone who may not know

Replies

• Hughes39
    Hughes39 Posts: 169
    Options
    Oh and this sleeping so much at night is not a usual thing for him! And tonight he has returned to normal! So I really don't think that two nights of sleeping better effected anything!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Not sure, maybe something hormonal has changed....any chance you are pregnant again? Or started a different hormonal birth control method?
  • Bthack
    Bthack Posts: 48
    Options
    Hmm. I dont know what to tell you since I am not a mother, but I remember my friend after she had a baby, every time she would hear a baby cry it would make her lactate? Just a thought. It's probably a primal instinct, babies crying may mean they are ready to be fed so our bodies start getting ready for it.
  • Squash97
    Options
    Have you increased your fluid intake. I know that if I drank a lot more water, my breastmilk would go up, and if my breasts were full, then they would leak much easier... :) Hopefully you find an answer! :)
  • boniekatie
    Options
    Believe it or not he can be eating more without you even knowing it. Not that he is sneaking it behind your back or anything like that, but he can be feeding more vigorously. If he is about to go through a groth spurt he will feed in a way that your body will respond by producing more milk. Also the fact that he is feeding less at night and you are fuller in the moring might get him feeding mor vigorously because he likes the extra he is getting in the morning and is trying to reproduce it throughout the day. Whenever your milk production increases there is a greater liklyhood of leaking. It will probubly be a temporary situation. He may not feed as often if he is getting more with each feeding and his appetite may decrease after the durring or after the growth spurt. Once your breasts adjust to the changes the leaking will probubly stop or diminish.
  • boniekatie
    Options
    sorry so many type-os. It's past my bedtime. lol
  • atotal180
    Options
    Okay, I am going to play doctor for a second. There are two hormones involved in breast feeding typically prolactin and oxytocin. Prolactin is responsible for increasing your breast size and giving you the ability to lactate. Oxytocin is responsible for milk let down. I do not know if your baby has physically stimualated your breast more during his regular breast feeding schedule, but that would increase the pulses of hormones your pituitary gland releases. Increased pulses leads to increased milk and fulness in your breast. In some cases, the baby doesn't even have to physically stimualte the breast, but through emotional signals through the mother it can lead to milk secretion. So to help the fulness of your breast try using a pump to get rid of some of the excess if you want. You are not abnormal with lactation after you hear your child crying, you are just a mother.
  • alicial3
    alicial3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not he can be eating more without you even knowing it. Not that he is sneaking it behind your back or anything like that, but he can be feeding more vigorously. If he is about to go through a groth spurt he will feed in a way that your body will respond by producing more milk. Also the fact that he is feeding less at night and you are fuller in the moring might get him feeding mor vigorously because he likes the extra he is getting in the morning and is trying to reproduce it throughout the day. Whenever your milk production increases there is a greater liklyhood of leaking. It will probubly be a temporary situation. He may not feed as often if he is getting more with each feeding and his appetite may decrease after the durring or after the growth spurt. Once your breasts adjust to the changes the leaking will probubly stop or diminish.

This is what my first thought was too
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    I breastfed my daughter for a year. When I drank more fluids, ate healthier, and got more rest... My supply would be up. I also had some random leaks here and there (which was a rarity for me too). I think leaks can be hormonal. You release breastmilk as a result of the let-down reflex- stimulated by the hormone oxytocin. Oxytocin can be released by suckling of the baby on the breast, or even a picture of baby or sound of infant crying. Sometimes just feeling a close attachment to your baby can cause the let-down. Even if you are not leaking all the time, letdown can occur stimulating more milk production. I know I would sometimes feel the sensation of let down when I wasn't nursing (felt warmth and like a flushing in my breasts) but I didn't nurse because my daughter wasn't hungry, and I didn't leak... So maybe you are just getting extra sensitive now that u have been nursing for some time. And let down and milk production is stimulated more easily- by sounds of another baby crying or even just being near your baby (I always produced more milk when I was close to my daughter). Congrats on nursing for so long! It's the best for you and baby! The list of benefits are endless, it really makes a big difference!
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Probably this one. Between 9-12 months, a baby's appetite picks up as their activity level increases. Also, a friend of mine said her Dr. told her that if she had a beer once or twice a week, it would increase production. She needed to make more milk because she was feeding twins, so she asked him how to increase supply. Chugging a lot of water, getting more excercise (from chasing the little one), will help you shed sodium, and in turn, that will keep you from retaining fluids.

Also, when I was BF-ing my babies, I noticed a hot shower always opened up the ducts and caused some spraying. LOL! Even having sex can do that... the hormone rush during the big "O" will cause a big increase. Even bending over to pick up toys... Gravity!!
  • Hughes39
    Options
    Not sure, maybe something hormonal has changed....any chance you are pregnant again? Or started a different hormonal birth control method?
    I guess there is always a chance of pregnancy if you are sexually active. I'm not on any hormonal birth controls, just condoms. But I don't think any have busted or anything so think my pregnancy chances are pretty slim
  • Hughes39
    Options
    Hmm. I dont know what to tell you since I am not a mother, but I remember my friend after she had a baby, every time she would hear a baby cry it would make her lactate? Just a thought. It's probably a primal instinct, babies crying may mean they are ready to be fed so our bodies start getting ready for it.
    It's weird though because my breasts never leak when a baby cries! Until today that is. I haven't had to wear nursing pads since he was still really little so this is just a random change.
  • Hughes39
    Options
    Have you increased your fluid intake. I know that if I drank a lot more water, my breastmilk would go up, and if my breasts were full, then they would leak much easier... :) Hopefully you find an answer! :)
    No I think I've actually been drinking less lately
  • Hughes39
    Options
    IT was only two days that he slept through the night though (and tonight he seems back to normal). Would it really have made a difference that soon?
  • Hughes39
    Options
    The human body is something I will never understand! Ha-Ha
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options

Yup!

I think everything's been covered and so basically, yes, it is is a bit weird, but your body will adjust, generally within a few days.

The first thing I thought when I read your initial post was "pregnant!" so maybe it'd be an idea to do a test...
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I breast fed both of mine and they can when they older eat more in the same period of time. Say if you express lightly its going to release less milk than of you express harder. It may feel the same and the body is a wonderful things it you get full it will release it, it can happen once it can happen everyday just because you never lactated before doesn't mean there is anything wrong or a major change occured it just happens relax
  • Hughes39
    Options

Yup!

I think everything's been covered and so basically, yes, it is is a bit weird, but your body will adjust, generally within a few days.

The first thing I thought when I read your initial post was "pregnant!" so maybe it'd be an idea to do a test...
    I thought most womens milk decreases when they get pregnant? I know that it's not always the case, but I've never heard of someones increasing due to pregnancy.
    TOM is due to be here tomorrow (Wed- that would be 28day cycle) but I get it anywhere from 26-28. i'll test Thursday if I'm late.
  • Hughes39
    Options
    Well whatever it is I hope my body adjusts soon because quite frankly I have DD's already, and when they fill up and my son isn't ready to eat they get in my way. Especially right about now when it's close to bedtime and I'm not wanting to wear a bra to contain them!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Is there a trigger? My Mom used to leak when she heard paper crackling.......Weird , i know. Some people leak, some people don't. That's about all there is to it. Your supply must be really good.