How to eat clean on a fixed low budget??

Options
Good morning. I am struggling with the Eating part. First off, I only have 400 dollars to spend on food monthly but with also a 17 and 15 year old boys in the house. How in the world can I eat healthy on that budget? I haven't been able to do it for the whole month. The first two weeks I'm good. But the last 2 weeks I'm stuck with making bad choices. And my weight loss is suffering for it. Can Anyone give me some advice on this on how to eat Clean for the whole month?

Nanci from Kissimmee

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Eggs are probably your best protein source. At a couple of dollars a dozen, there's nothing else that comes close to giving you lots of high-quality protein for relatively little money. Milk i also a good choice.

Potatoes, carrots and dried beans. Check out a good recipe for lentil soup that uses the carrots, potatoes and onion, another relative cheapie. A huge pot costs just a few dollars.

If there are ethnic food markets in your area (Hispanic, Asian etc), I find their prices on produce are like half that of the regular supermarkets. 99-cent store also can be a good source.

At the farners market, the stalls that sell beets and carrots are usually asked by shoppers to remove the greens, and I find they're happy to give those away rather than throw them out. Every time I go down there, I come back with a big bag of healthy greens that cost nothing.

I hope this helps. Not an easy task, trying to do this with two teenage boys. Good for you for giving it your best try, and your boys will benefit, too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When you say, "how can I eat healthy"... what does "healthy" mean to you?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruits and vegetables.
    Dried beans are one of the best bargains in the store.
    Buy meats and fresh fruits/vegetables only when on sale.
    Stock up on non-perishables when on sale.
    Coupons

If possible, grow some of your own food. Even a small garden can provide a lot of food, and many vegetables can be grown in containers.

ETA: Your post says "The first two weeks I'm good. But the last 2 weeks I'm stuck with making bad choices." What are the bad choices that are cheaper?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Bulk foods...

Tins of Tuna/Salmon
    Beans of all sorts
    Frozen veggies and fruits

One of my favorites (and I have two young men in my house too...son and husband) is hb soup...weird i know but it's filling with .5lb hb (boiled ot remove fat) add in carrots, onion, celery and last but not least barely and mushrooms...filling and healthy.(use beef soup base to top up the liquid as needed) or Chili, stews, buy a whole chicken roast it then make soup from the carcus. Chili burger supper is another fav it's very filling for my boys...spagetti, hb, tomatoe soup, chunky chili burger soup and cheese...proportions on dependent on you and your tastes.

As for weight loss it's about quanity not necessairly quality.

I often put a lot of "filler" in my soups like crushed tomatoes (cheap even in Canada) and whole grain rice, barley and of course lots of veggies, frozen/canned or fresh when they are cheap.
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Walmart and an Aldi(or similar) where you are? Since Walmart matches prices I take the ad from Aldi who always has produce at amazing prices (banana 27cents a pound) and I stock my basket with every fruit and veggie in the add. I shop all other grocery stores for only what is on the front and back of their weekly flier. Those are their best in the store prices. Just suggestions on the fresh stuff.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I am struggling with the Eating part. First off, I only have 400 dollars to spend on food monthly but with also a 17 and 15 year old boys in the house. How in the world can I eat healthy on that budget? I haven't been able to do it for the whole month. The first two weeks I'm good. But the last 2 weeks I'm stuck with making bad choices. And my weight loss is suffering for it. Can Anyone give me some advice on this on how to eat Clean for the whole month?

Nanci from Kissimmee

I know it can be hard and time consuming, but cook and bake everything from scratch - freeze the extras - like muffins, banana bread. See if you can share with a friend for a Costco membership and use that to your advantage.
  • changingmylife85
    Options
    Eating clean on a low budget can be tough to manage. It's not easy. Is it just you and the growing boys? If so, I'd try to split it in 3rds. Are they picky? do your boys strive to eat healthy too? Are you cooking their meals and are they eating them. Find a common ground to work from. My family wasn't terribly impressed with the healthy way of living in our home when I first started off; but determination and conversing with the family is the best place to start! Feel free to add me?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Nanci from Kissimmee

I know it can be hard and time consuming, but cook and bake everything from scratch - freeze the extras - like muffins, banana bread. See if you can share with a friend for a Costco membership and use that to your advantage.

I found a recipe on FB yesterday for bottled banana bread (or other sweet breads)...you bake it in 250ml (1cup) mason jars and when you take them out put the cover on and they seal with the heat these last for up to 2months on a shelf...like pickles (I personally haven't tried this yet) but I am going to...that's if you don't have the freezer room and that leaves it easier to grab and go and not worry about thawing...
  • nanci35
    nanci35 Posts: 21
    Options
    Like clean eating..it just seems anything healthy is costly in the grocery store
  • nanci35
    Options
    Thanks so much
  • nanci35
    Options
    I meant the last two weeks my food money runs out so basically what's left in my kitchen is lots of rice, no meat, no fresh veggies or fruit only cans. Boxes of Mac n Cheese are around with Ramen noodles.
  • CandaceG514
    CandaceG514 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! We are also on the same budget and are a family of 5 although mine are smaller so do not eat as much! One thing I do is that I will buy large whole chickens when they are on sale. I cook them in my crockpot using this recipe: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/

We usually eat some of it that night over some rice and then the rest of it I pull off the bone and use for other recipes. I might make this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html or this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/chicken-enchiladas.html or a healthy version of chicken pot pie, etc. I can usually get three meals out of one whole 4 - 5 pound chicken.

Edited to add that I also used to shop once a month and when I started eating healthy I had to change to weekly meal planning so that I could use the fruits and veggies before they went bad. I plan out all my meals for the week and only buy what is on my list for those meals and snacks.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Visit your local Farmer's Market. I can get LOADS of stuff for with a budget of $100 bi-weekly. Yes, that's right, every 2 weeks. I can get squash(any variety, 3 for $5), Nuts and Trail mixes(2 tubs for $5) Apples(All vareitys $5-$7 for a entire basket..About 12 apples), Peaches($10 per basket), Grapes(.79 cents a lb), Blueberries, blackberries, Strawberry(All 5 baskets for $5 or $1 each). The list goes on! I can get all my groceries to last me 2 weeks from the market and I rarely spend over $100. I know prices may vary from place to place, but you can't compare the prices AND quality from you market.
  • nanci35
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    After a shopping trip, it's hard to not want to eat all the good stuff up first. But, if you can't afford to replenish the supply halfway through the month, you need to ration it out. If you don't feel you can eat "clean" every day (and you don't have to), mix things up. Have boneless, skinless chicken breast and salad one night, then have pasta (super cheap) the next. KD for lunch one day, tuna on whole wheat the next. I'd recommend doing your best to divide your budget, though, so you can make a trip to the grocery store once a week for fruit and veggies. You'll feel a lot better about your diet, in general, if you at least have some bananas and whole grain bread in the house throughout the month. Gotta work with what you got. :)
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you buy a lot "organic", "natural" labeled things... (or so they are marketed) it's going to cost a lot.

Think in terms of whole, food in their original and unprocessed form. It can actually be cheaper if you plan it out.

Step one: The farmer's market is your friend. For real. Buy in season fruits and vegetables from your local farmers. It is often less expensive than grocery stores... The quality will be practically unbeatable. Plus: they often give deals to regular customers and you're supporting your local markets.

Or better yet!: if you're able considering having your own little garden. Even a small space can pack in a lot of healthy produce.

Step two: Go to the "bulk bins" in the grocery store. I'm not sure if this is the exact term for it... but that's what I call them. They have bag your own oatmeal, beans, rice, granola, grains, and sometimes even candy (hey: you have to have some sweets in there too). These are usually way cheaper than the prepackaged stuff.

Step three: Buy your meat in bulk if you can. Sometimes you can score awesome deals if you buy a quarter of a cow or pig. Bargain shop. Ask around. Also: don't underestimate the power of canned tuna. It is delicious and nutritious. Eggs are also an amazing source of inexpensive protein.

Step four: Buy store brand and don't be fooled by "natural" and low fat foods. These are often geared toward dieters and vendors know that when you're watching your weight you're often more willing to fork over more money. Also look for good deals in your local circular.

Step five: Make a promise to yourself (and make sure your boys know it too!): no more mac and cheese and ramen. None. There are plenty of options out there that are just as cheap and way more healthy.

Good luck.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    We actually have a separate refrigerator and freezer in our garage. I have found that if the kids see the food, they will eat it. They could eat a month's worth of something in just a few days simply because it's there!

One of the things we try to do is just stock a little at a time so it's not all wiped out so quickly.

And yes to everyone else's suggestions -- I'm not on a fixed budget, but our constraint is time because we work so much. Luckily, my husband is a professional chef; he usually cooks things on the weekend and then portions everything out for me and freezes it. I bring my lunch to work everyday so it's very easy for me to just open the freezer and grab a couple bags - seasoned, grilled chicken or hearty beef stew, for example - and now it's the exact portion that I need.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Make food from scratch. Processed "convenience foods" carry a high price premium.

Example: A good can of chili will run me $2.50-$3.50 per can. I make it from scratch for about $1.25. I eat chili once or twice every week, so I save around $300/yr just for this one item. I did have to buy a pressure cooker and canning supplies so I could only cook chili once every three months (big batches, spices per the chef's taste buds that day ;).

I buy raw food ingredients in bullk: pinto and kidney beans, wheat kernels, honey......etc.

I'm not real concerned about toxins (e.g. pesticides etc.). A majority of the raw foods have MUCH LESS foreign toxin type stuff in them compared to the processed foods which have at a minimum, lots of preservatives. Thus, without even going to extremes, like buying organic an premium prices, you can reduce your food costs and eat "cleaner" just by making the food yourself from scratch.

Currently, I make the following
    Bread, bagels, belgum waffles, cinnamon rolls
    Refried beans, baked beans, chili
    Chicken soup, French onion soup
    Chicken slices for sandwiches
    Canned tomatoes (from my garden), canned tomato sauce, canned spaghetti sauce
    Canned peas, green beans (and other stuff from the garden).

I don't know if you can save money canning fresh vegetables from the store. I grow over 33 edible things in my yard, so I don't have to investigate cost savings of veggies, fruits, or berries in bulk/then canned or frozen (e.g. raspberries, blackberries) from a store.

Good luck!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been buying the Family sized bag of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts (make anything from sandwiches to chicken fajitas) and a huge 2 dozen and half carton of eggs (again make them all kind of ways).

This lasts me quite a while! I add them to salads, add tortilla shell and salsa, 2 pieces of wheat bread and condiments for a sandwich, etc.... So many ways to eat these protiens!!!