looking for in home dvd program

Options
Hello-
I am looking for an in home dvd program that I can do. I am 250 lbs and way out of shape. I have a bad knee (dislocated but no surgery). Would anyone recommend something for beginners? Eventually, I want to study a martial art when I do get into shape.

Thank you,
Cat

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Start small. I know Denise Austin has some walking workouts (I've done some on YouTube, on the BeFit channel), and I know lots of people swear by Leslie Sansone. Also, I think Extreme Makeover:Weightloss Edition has a workout video that has differing levels, with the first level being very basic.

Before any of that, though, I'd have a full physical and bloodwork and get medically cleared by my doc before doing any exercise if I was very overweight. I know you're 250, but if you're 6'0", that's not as overweight as it would be if you are 5'5".
  • caoimhe0
    caoimhe0 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30day shred is a good beginners dvd. You can get level 1 on youtube if you want to try it :)
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Slim in 6 is relatively low impact - 30DS has a lot of jumping around that might not be suitable for a bad knee
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    Beachbody Les Mills Pump, lot of resistance training that will burn all your muscles and burn a lot of calories. Really worth the price as it comes with all the weights you need and a bar.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 7 inches tall. I have had a complete physical including blood work. I'm all good.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Clarification - I think that person meant to go by what your doc says is ok to do with your wonky knee.

There is no way I'd recommend 30 Day Shred - too much jumping around. I've got a wonky left knee and all the jumping jacks can really throw it out of whack.

Check out the walk at home programs. There are some moves that may bother your knee (jogging in place, side steps) but if so, just keep walking at the pace of the music.

Swimming and biking tend to be easy on the knees.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A good way to try all of these wonderful suggestions is to order and check them out at your local library. Then you can "try it before you buy it."
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has many different programs to choose from. And if you buy their program and sign up you can get a coach who can help you through your transition. I personally LOVE Insanity. They are tough, but you will see results in body inches (not weight lbs) within the first few weeks. If you don't have a lot of time, they also have T25, which is a 25 minute pure cardio/strength/core workout all in one. If you have a chance and see one of their infomercials, watch it! Good luck!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You might like pilates or other mat-style workouts (floor barre is a good Google term). They tend to be much easier on the knees than lots of things. They usually aren't very aerobic, so you'd want to address that part, but they do have a lot of benefits for general fitness.

Yoga is great too, although it can be harder on the knees (modify the poses that bother). That will really help going towards martial arts.
  • wdwmindy
    Options
    I really like Leslie Sansone and her walk DVDs. It even looks like there are some of the videos available on YouTube.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser DVD's. They have different variations of the exercises for people.
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "Walk Away the Pounds" is easy on the knees and back and you get a good workout! I'm actually restarting with a 1-mile walk WATP walk tomorrow and working up from there. I used to do the 5-mile a day one but need to start from the beginning.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Beachbody Les Mills Pump, lot of resistance training that will burn all your muscles and burn a lot of calories. Really worth the price as it comes with all the weights you need and a bar.

Don't you think the lunge sequences and the squats would be too much for her knee? I wouldn't recommend starting out with Pump at all.
  • frugalfitmom
    Options
    Check out Tai Cheng by Beachbody or DDP Yoga. I'm a huge fan of them both and they are esentially non-impact.