• GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is yes.

But, are you speaking in terms of cooking? Butternut Squash is a variety of the squash species Cucurbita Moschata. Most of the squash types in this species taste similar and these are the types of squash actually used in canned pumpkin and a lot of commercially made pumpkin things (Libby's uses a special variety called "****inson Field Pumpkin"). Many people will make pumpkin recipes from scratch using sugar pumpkin, however, it is not as sweet as squash of the Cucurbita Moschata variety.

So, if you are thinking of making "pumpkin" recipes (especially desserts), you may actually want to use Butternut Squash instead as it will give a sweeter flavor and one closer to that of commercially made "pumpkin" recipes.
  • mmouse90
    Options
    This was awesome information, thanks
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    To me, no, but I'm apparently in the minority :tongue:

To me, they have entirely different tastes. I can only eat pumpkin once it's been sweetened and well-seasoned. On the other hand, I'm happy to eat cooked butternut squash with nothing but a little salt, though I prefer it with chili and lime.
  • angelbaby75
    angelbaby75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

To me, they have entirely different tastes. I can only eat pumpkin once it's been sweetened and well-seasoned. On the other hand, I'm happy to eat cooked butternut squash with nothing but a little salt, though I prefer it with chili and lime.

I agree with you....no, they are not the same.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Are these two basically the same?

well, they don't taste the same.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I just want to note that when I said the simple answer was yes, I just meant that most commercially labeled pumpkin things are actually made with butternut squash or a similar variety.
    Otherwise, I would tend to agree, traditional pumpkins (the orange ones) do not taste as good as butternut squash.