Best HRM to track lifting cals

2»

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Since I eat at TDEE minus I don't really worry about calories burned for what i eat. I do like it for a gauge of my intensity. In light of that, I use my HRM during weight lifting, not as a way to decide how much to eat, but to have an estimate of the intensity of the workout.

Often HR response to lifting is completely unrelated to "intensity", so the HRM is really an imprecise tool in that area as well. For example, an overhead lift at 10-12 RM for some people could elicit a higher heart rate than 5 RM squat, although the squat would be much more "intense".

I didn't see your response, and I just posted a link to your blog.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Since I eat at TDEE minus I don't really worry about calories burned for what i eat. I do like it for a gauge of my intensity. In light of that, I use my HRM during weight lifting, not as a way to decide how much to eat, but to have an estimate of the intensity of the workout.

Often HR response to lifting is completely unrelated to "intensity", so the HRM is really an imprecise tool in that area as well. For example, an overhead lift at 10-12 RM for some people could elicit a higher heart rate than 5 RM squat, although the squat would be much more "intense".

But, comparing HR from Squat to Squat or OHP to OHP would be valid would it not?
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member

But, comparing HR from Squat to Squat or OHP to OHP would be valid would it not?
    No it would not. Hr is a completely meaningless number for resistance training.

The weight on the bar is the measure of intensity and potential calorie burn.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

potential calorie burn.

^ That

The other thing is that the increase in metabolism that is experienced during exercise doesn't just stop after your last repetition of the session, it persists for hours. If you're not accounting for that then why track calories "burned" that isn't even accurate?
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    HRM's are designed for steady state cardio and not as reliable for tracking calorie burns during weight lifting.. I use mine to monitor heart rate and rest time between sets but don't use the calorie burn number.... i have established a rough guesstimate for my calorie burn from lifting.... Best of Luck

Thanks! Ok so anyone else reading keep in mind I'm looking for an estimate and what you have found to "work" best at tracking those strength workouts.

Here is a link where you can find the different weight training workouts. http://www.fitclick.com/calories_burned?
    I use this site to get some of my guesstimate because it is based on my body-weight.. Good luck I hope this helps...
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    It would be hard to track calorie burn just for the simple fact that unlike cardio, you continue burning after your done lifting (let me clarify that I am talking about exercise calorie burn vs resting calorie burn). Notice how you are sore after a lifting session or doing something that your not used to? That's your body going into repair mode thus burning calories to repair itself.

As far as an HRM? I use the runtastic HRM which syncs up with the runtastic running, squats, pushup and pullup apps. These apps also sync up with MFP for auto input. That was the main reason why I purchased it. :flowerforyou:

http://www.amazon.com/Runtastic-Heart-Rate-Combo-Monitor/dp/B00B84JQSE/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1380833834&sr=1-1&keywords=runtastic

Edited: to clarify that you never completely stop burning calories.
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    I bought this Polar H7 from Amazon for $57. I use the DigiFit App and select Weight Lifting.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Bluetooth-Smart-Heart-Sensor/dp/B007S088F4

ALSO: The app allow you to pause the workout or go into recovery mode. This allows it to not calculate any calories burned between breaks.

I have this same setup and haven't had any crazy calorie estimates. Mainly 300ish calories for a one hour lift session where I tire myself out so I just stick with what it is estimating.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member

No it would not. Hr is a completely meaningless number for resistance training.

The weight on the bar is the measure of intensity and potential calorie burn.

I don't give a rip about calorie burn.