Calling All Women Who Lift Weights: HELP!!!!

Hello,

When I decided to start losing weight, I was focused on cardio more than anything else. Lately I have started to incorporate weights to my workout and love how great it feels! I have been cruising the community posts and have seen the amazing pictures of women who lift heavy weights and I now want to start. The only problem is that I don't know where to start. What exercises should I do? How many reps? Etc.. So, in all I would love to have your advice on how I can start and what exercises work best.

Thank you so much,
Wanna Be Lifter

Replies

• ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Good places to start include following the programs in either Starting Strength or the New Rules of Lifting for Women - both of those books will take you through which types of exercises to start with, reps, weight increase, etc. Good luck! Have fun!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    the book New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start =)
  • A lot of women would recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I started it and i love it.
  • KellyAMueller
    KellyAMueller Posts: 16 Member
    Body Pump
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I would do one of three things:

1) Choose a personal trainer and set up a plan based on your goals so that you understand correct form;
    2) Choose a program like Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women that you can do in the gym by just following their plans; or
    3) Get an at-home program like Chalean Extreme from Beachbody.

I wouldn't do BodyPump unless you want it just to learn form or for cardio. It's not going to do the same things for your body as heavier lifting with fewer reps. If you are lifting all this weight, wouldn't you like strength gains, too?

You can branch out as you learn more, but the important thing is starting somewhere. Obviously, if you can afford it, meeting with a personal trainer the first couple times would be optimal.

People have different goals so there is no one-size fits all option. You can spend years learning about lifting techniques and strategies. Don't get overwhelmed with that right now. Just pick a path and start. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I started with New Rules but I found it pretty bloated/complicated for no good reason and moved to Strong Lifts (which I'm still doing). A lot of people also speak very highly of Starting Strength. I think all three programs have groups here on MFP with information and people willing to help you learn the ropes/answer questions once you decide which you want to do.

Oh and
    Body Pump

Is not heavy lifting.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I started with Stronglifts 5x5. The above group was a big help. I've pretty much cut out cardio now.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    New Rules of Lifting would be a great place to start. I read the book, but was a bit intimidated because there are so many exercises to learn. This is a great, solid program if you would like some variety. Buy the book. It's available on Kindle which may be best so that you can bring it with you.

I personally do StrongLifts 5x5 (3x5 now) which I highly recommend. Starting strength is nearly identical and it is a good choice as well. You only need to learn how to do 5 lifts with good form and you hit all of your body. Much simpler, very well thought out, but could be considered boring. If you want to do this one, you can try his website and get it for free, or go to the group for women for an awesome writeup, links to form videos etc
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Don't spend too much time worrying about what to pick. The most important part is getting in there and starting. Great choice!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Just wanted to welcome you to the world of picking things up and putting them down.

I personally recommend working with a trainer to develop a program and make sure you learn safe form. NROL, StrongLifts and Starting Strength are all great. I tend to think things to death, so my favorite philosophy comes from Krista of stumptuous.com, the "Less Thinking, More Doing" program! :laugh:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I like Strong Lifts.
  • pinkpanther4fsu
    pinkpanther4fsu Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you all do much for the great advice!!! I am definitely going to by the book and start there. I have also heard so many great things about strong lifts, so I will look into that as well.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    I HIGHLY recommend this workout: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

It's free, tells you exactly what to do and has videos on HOW to do it if you aren't familiar. I am wrapping up week 12! I have lost 1.75" from my thighs, 2" from my hips, 1" from my waist and .75" from my arms! I didn't follow the diet, just the workout schedule. It was a perfect jumping point for me and I feel fantastic. My cellulite on my legs is almost GONE and my butt is getting really firm. :) I love seeing the results from lifting that I NEVER would have gotten from cardio alone. :)
  • ajkolb
    ajkolb Posts: 21 Member
    It sounds like you need to hire a personal trainer to get the techniques down correctly. Also research the heck out of bodybuilding.com. They have a ton of information there!)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I started with New Rules but I found it pretty bloated/complicated for no good reason and moved to Strong Lifts (which I'm still doing). A lot of people also speak very highly of Starting Strength. I think all three programs have groups here on MFP with information and people willing to help you learn the ropes/answer questions once you decide which you want to do.

Oh and
    Body Pump

Is not heavy lifting.

^All of that.

I started with NROL4W. Went on to Stronglifts, then switched to Starting Strength.

Stronglifts and SS are very similar. I found SS worked best in a calorie deficit though. Trying to do 5x5, and increasing weights every workout was too much for me.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member

Oh and
    Body Pump

Is not heavy lifting.

Body Pump is cardio, and NOT heavy lifting.

HOWEVER.

I started with Body Pump, it's where I learnt good form.

Then I read NROLFW. I think the book has a great foundation of knowledge, but I didn't like all the extra 'small' lifts and exercises that it incorporated after the first stage.

So I moved to StrongLifts, and I also work with a trainer.

You do not NEED a trainer to lift heavy. However I like having one as it gives me extra confidence to push myself, and I know for sure that I wouldn't be lifting as heavy as I am now without mine.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I started with The New Rules of Lifting for Life (it's a different book from the women book, but same authors). Now I do Strong Curves.

Strong Lifts and Starting Strength are great options that others have mentioned.

I also like getting info from Girls Gone Strong.