Options
7 Days
7 Visits to the Gym
4 Hours Cross trainer
5 Hours of cycling
3 Hours of weights
10000+ (alleged) Kcals burned

5 lbs GAINED

My only theory right now is that I have eaten so much food to be able to do the above excercise (but never going over my daily allowence) that I have about 5 lbs of food sitting in my gut! Other than that i'm at a loss!

Replies

• FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Check out the inches, not just the scale!
  • Katielou23
    Options
    My First week and I put on lost all motivation now :-(
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    7 Days
    7 Visits to the Gym
    4 Hours Cross trainer
    5 Hours of cycling
    3 Hours of weights
    10000+ (alleged) Kcals burned

5 lbs GAINED

My only theory right now is that I have eaten so much food to be able to do the above excercise (but never going over my daily allowence) that I have about 5 lbs of food sitting in my gut! Other than that i'm at a loss!
    I'm on the fence about muscle weighing more than fat.... if you have a pound of muscle and a pound of fat then they are both a pound!!! They just look differently on the body!
    I've done some research though and it seems that even a lot of trainers are not prepared to put their necks on the line and say if they believe it... it seems to be one of those things that no one is really quite sure about...

I would say that you should give it a bit longer.... up the fluid intake and also measure yourself so you can see if the measurements have changed at all...

Some people have tried spiking their daily calorie intake to keep their bodies guessing... ie higher calories one day and then lower another etc and have found that helped them.... I am going to give it a go too and see if I have any luck with it!!

Good luck!
  • carbonbeing
    Options
    A pound of each is a pound. But muscle weighs more compared to an equal volume of fat. A pound of feathers takes up more room than a pound of gold...
  • kattungen
    Options
    You should read this topic, it might put things into perspective :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Don't give up!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I think you should slow down on that exercise. You seem really frustrated.

Take it step by step rather than get at it full force. Unless you are on The Biggest Loser you will just give up too soon.

Getting de-motivated at the beginning is the worst thing that can happen and that much exercise usually does it. SMALL STEPS...
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    Don't listen to the gaining muscle stuff. There's no way you would've gained 5 pounds of muscle
    in 7 days.

Give yourself a couple of days and weigh yourself again. I always wait at least a day, gives
    my body time to adapt to everything I had just done.

Also, try and weigh yourself in the same situation that you did your initial weigh in (ie time
    of day, what you wearing, etc.).

Doug
  • god1ike
    Options
    Wow... Thanks for the feedback, wasn't expecting so much so soon.

Yeah, from what I've read, Its almost impossible to gain muscle mass without training for it. For example, ive read that the maximum you can gain if you do everything perfectly i.e.. Train with heavy weights, low reps AND eat so that you always have excess calories in you body is 0.5 lbs of muscle per month.
    According to my calorie Diary, I've been in deficit every day so I would have expected to have lost weight (fat not muscle) or at the worst case - stayed the same.
    I'm not feeling frustrated - (well not about this anyway ;-) I'll just keep at it and see what happens next week, the reason I posted was more because I was shocked at the increase (and a little bit disappointed)

This week instead of doing long 35 - 40 mins on the cross trainer, I'm going to mix it up with interval training (on the cross) as I've recently heard that this is the best way to target fat and takes half the time (I know this is contrary to what has been published) Cant hurt to mix things up a little.

I've recently subscribed to this guy (MrSuperbhealth) on you tube - he seems to be passionate, and seems to know what he's talking about. Infact, lots of what he says seems to be contrary to what's in the mainstream. And most importantly for me, he doesn't seem particularly biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKbl-mFOX3k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks again

Steve
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you are holding onto weight if you're not eating enough.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. Muscle is more dense and can retain water after muscle building work.

Eat every three hours to make sure your body doesn't assume that it's being neglected.