High Heels and Weight Loss

Options
Hi,

This probably sounds like a really weird question, but.... I've always wanted to be able to wear pretty high heels but they kill my feet! I can hardly ever wear them and if I do, I get blisters after about 10 minutes (this includes wearing cushions in them that are supposed to stop this). My question is; has anyone found that after losing weight they were able to wear high heels comfortably or more comfortably? And if so, what weight were you when you started and when you were then able to wear heels?

Thanks xox

Replies

• thisischristine
    thisischristine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's not a stupid question - it makes a MASSIVE difference! Think about the pressure per square inch on the ball of your foot when you are overweight! I noticed a difference after about 20 lbs. Seriously, I wore heels anyway when I was bigger, but it hurt the balls of my feet all the time. Now I can wear them all day with no trouble. And I still have about 30lbs to go.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I found that after I got heavier I couldn't wear them anymore. My toes would kill me. I stopped wearing heels at about 175lbs. And when I say heels I mean HEELS, Stacy London style.
    It is kind f backwards answer hope this helps.
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that high heels are super bad for your body...just thought I would throw that in there....

I love heels though, I always feel cuter when my feet look good :wink:
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    I know heels are bad for your posture and spine and feet but hey, we don't wear them 24/7 do we? And the majority of women say they feel sexier wearing a pair of cute shoes.
    I think the lighter you are the easier it is to wear heels. So there's yet another good reason to get those pounds off.:drinker:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Within the past month, I've added probably 5 pairs of heels to my shoe collection because they finally fit now! My feet are less wide than they used to be, and wearing heels is a lot less painful. I put Dr. Scholls foam tape in the back of the heel so it doesn't rub my ankle, but it's been awesome to finally be able to wear them. I still buy heels in wide when available, but even regular wide heels have been possible to wear. I'm not saying they're as comfy as a pair of sneakers (what heels are??? haha) but they're bearable to wear around work and occasionally a night out.
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I know what you mean. I stopped wearing heels completely when I was heavier - just too much effort with all of that extra weight. I've since started wearing them again, and definitely feel more feminine when I do :)

Try heels made by Clarks or any of their related lines - Indigo, Privo, etc. They are pricey but I find their shoes much more comfortable and more stable to walk on than typical heels. They make great work/office shoes.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    When I was 165, heels HURT. (I do have tiny feet too, so more pounds per inch, I guess). Now, 30 pounds less, I can wear them again..and even for the full day at work! (I used to bring a spare pair of flats in my totebag.) For boots w/ heels I was told to always buy a 1/2 size bigger and that helped a lot too. And those things you can put in your shoes for the balls of your feet so your feet don't slide down help as well. Have fun!
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can wear heels pretty comfortably, but I prefer wedges. They can be pretty sky high, too, and very sexy I might add, but give a little more support, especially on your ankles. I usually see alot in Macys and Dillards, but the pair I have on right now are grey paten leather super high wedges and people ALWAYS give me compliments that my legs look long =)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    YES! As a firm believer in the power of the stiletto, I remember that being the most disappointing factor in being heavy. Not only could I not wear cute outfits (obviously) but I couldn't keep my 4"+ heels on for longer than it took to walk from my closet to the car. Life is much better now, and I find that as an added bonus, wearing sky high heels at least one or two full days out of the week is actually a decent calf/thigh muscle workout.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes, heels are bad for you, but if you must wear them, make sure your exercise routine includes exercises so that your achilles tendons don't shorten too much, and that increase flexibility in the back and the hips. Also, pay close attention to your knees, don't lock them. An exaggerated lower back arch may look cute when you're younger, but will hurt when you get older and compress your spine.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I know heels are bad for your posture and spine and feet but hey, we don't wear them 24/7 do we? And the majority of women say they feel sexier wearing a pair of cute shoes.
    I think the lighter you are the easier it is to wear heels. So there's yet another good reason to get those pounds off.:drinker:

me again! had to throw this in there:
    Not too long ago when I was between jobs I purposefully set out to run errands in a frumpy, everyday outfit. About a month later I ran the same or similar errands (grocery, gas, bank, auto repair, etc) but dressed up in a nice outfit and heels. *nice: not trashy, slutty, or granny*
    Can you guess the results of that experiment? On the second trip I had doors being opened for me, shorter wait times, more courteous and attentive service, and even unexpected discounts! Respect not only others but also yourself, and others will follow your lead.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question. This is awesome motivation for me. I can't wear 3" heels for more than 20 minutes at a time and there is no WAY I'd be able to wear a stilleto... :(

So this is even MORE motivation to get healthy!!
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This is not a dumb question at all...trust me! I was a heel fanatic since I was 12 but when I gained all the weight 11 years back I have stopped wearing them because they would KILL ME after about 10 minutes. I just couldn't do them. Now I am 70 lbs. lighter and weigh 213 but I wear heels Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and do not complain one bit with the exception of my 6 inch heels. Most of my heels though are from Bakers www.bakesshoes.com and are 5" heels at a minimum. I love love how I feel in them...sexy most of all. If you don't feel comfortable right now then you will get there in another 10 or 20 lbs. Give your body time and give yourself time to adjust also. You won't go from nothing to wearing them all day but rather try it for a couple hours and change into flats, etc. and it will get easier.
  • takethepieces
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question. This is awesome motivation for me. I can't wear 3" heels for more than 20 minutes at a time and there is no WAY I'd be able to wear a stilleto... :(

So this is even MORE motivation to get healthy!!

I know what you mean! I worry about even trying a stilletto on because it'd probably snap after 5 minutes! Something for me to look forward to too!
  • takethepieces
    Options
    This is not a dumb question at all...trust me! I was a heel fanatic since I was 12 but when I gained all the weight 11 years back I have stopped wearing them because they would KILL ME after about 10 minutes. I just couldn't do them. Now I am 70 lbs. lighter and weigh 213 but I wear heels Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and do not complain one bit with the exception of my 6 inch heels. Most of my heels though are from Bakers www.bakesshoes.com and are 5" heels at a minimum. I love love how I feel in them...sexy most of all. If you don't feel comfortable right now then you will get there in another 10 or 20 lbs. Give your body time and give yourself time to adjust also. You won't go from nothing to wearing them all day but rather try it for a couple hours and change into flats, etc. and it will get easier.

Yea, I'm trying to wean myself on to them! I've started wearing my heels where I know I'm not going to have to do too much walking and I have a pair of knee high boots with thick heels that I can wear for a while without them killing me. They're still painful at this point, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to wear proper heels when I get closer to goal!
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was ADDICTED to high heals (4"+) before I gained more and more weight, then I completely stopped wearing them and lived in flip flops when at all possible. I did the wedge route for awhile as they were easier to walk in and I love wedges also. (basic shoe addiction in general) Now that I am way down I am starting to rediscover my old heals! I love it! So much easier!
  • takethepieces
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great replies. It seems I have something to look forward to! I do love wedges but never find any that I like. I also have wide feet so I have trouble finding shoes that fit. I always get them rubbing on my ankle too! I know heels are bad for you, but I mostly wear flats or no shoes around the house and only intend to wear heels when I go out and wear a nice dress or something.

Another thing to work towards!