Tired of hearing, " You have such a pretty face."

Options
H! I am a stay at home Mom that has used the lame excuse of having a 1 year old and a 2 year old to look after to completely let myself go. I enjoyed it at first, than I hated looking at myself. Hated weighing myself. So I stopped. Bought bigger clothes. Told myself it was no big deal. My breaking point....Well, I'm 10 pounds heavier than I was at 9 months pregnant with my youngest. I can't zip up my pants, for the 3rd time in a year. I can no longer wear what I like, I wear what fits. I wear what hides. I wear what blends me into the background. I am not a wallflower, and I can not believe I let myself get here. I am ashamed of all the excuses I made. I am just ready. Looking for friends, looking for support...looking for other hot moms breaking free from the frumpines.

Replies

• ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not a mom, but I've been in the "How did I let myself get here?" position before. I'm happy to help cheer you along, if you'd like. :)
  • technobunny
    Options
    It's hard man, what pregnancy and child birth does to your body. I found the same thing about not being able to look at my body after my daugther was born. But then I started to watch her grow up and I started thinking about how I lost my mom to cancer, and her one grandmother right now has failing kidneys, is on dialysis (she eats horribly and refuses to give her body the nutrition it needs because her logic is "i want to live my life now"). My mom was the picture of health, and had it not been for my degenerate father who gave her HPV which lead to cancer, she would still be with us. But I digress, my point was...i wanted to be healthy for my kids/grandkids so I can see them grow up in a healthy manner and be able to be active with them and be active in my old age. Also, I wanted my 19 year old body back to feel sexy again, because lets face it....pregnancy and childbirth is SOOOOO not sexy.

I've lost a total of 60lbs(some before I joined MFP obviously), not much compared to some, but I just wanted to tell you that it can be done! And you can once again wear all the cute clothes you love and feel good about looking in the mirror!
  • mandacancan
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! You know, it is nuts... How done I am. Many times I have said that I need to lose weight, I need to cut back, blah, blah, blah. But, a switch just flipped. I can't do it anymore. I ruined this wonderful body with laziness, fear, and denial. I honestly just woke up 4 days ago, put on my tennis shoes,and starting working out. Signed up for this site. I have never had a weight problem, I have been fortunate. I created this whole mess. Not genetics, not a disability, not an illness...just greasy southern food, too much Netflix, and Pabst Blue Ribbon. I gave myself a weight problem.
  • shancheer24
    shancheer24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As a mom of 3 i can relate. I had my kids every 2 years and never had a change to let my body get back to normal. My last pregnancy was by far the worst on my body. i went from my lowest weight after my son was born to the highest weight and highest body fat % that i have ever been at. I did lost 10lbs working out but couldnt seem to keep it off. Since signing up for this site ive realized that i was overeating out of boredom Im determined to get down to my goal and start feeling like myself again, and not constantly just hiding behind clothes ( which is much harder to do in the florida heat!
  • flashfangirl_102
    flashfangirl_102 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    you do have a pretty face ! I understand what you are saying though, like 3 days ago something inside me just snapped and I just went to the gym and signed up here, which is something I have never done before. I have stretch marks on my stomach, and I DO NOT HAVE KIDS..... that right there kinda depresses me, I am a tiger who has not earned her stripes :sad: it's so hard to admit that the problem lies within ourselves, all my excuses are Oh I started a new job, or Oh i moved to a new city. I completely support everything you, and you other ladies are accomplishing, and it makes me aware of what my future holds when i want babies :smile:
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! You know, it is nuts... How done I am. Many times I have said that I need to lose weight, I need to cut back, blah, blah, blah. But, a switch just flipped. I can't do it anymore. I ruined this wonderful body with laziness, fear, and denial. I honestly just woke up 4 days ago, put on my tennis shoes,and starting working out. Signed up for this site. I have never had a weight problem, I have been fortunate. I created this whole mess. Not genetics, not a disability, not an illness...just greasy southern food, too much Netflix, an Pabst Blue Ribbon. I gave myself a weight problem.

Being "done" is one of the greatest motivators in my opinion - I hauled around my pregnancy weight for over 17 years. Congrats on being done sooner than I was! :) Time to stop hating yourself and set some realistic goals. You got this...
  • evviamarshall
    evviamarshall Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here here! I know what you're going through girl. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm happy to offer support. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also have two kids, ages 2 and 4. I also am also heavier now then I was at 9 months pregnant with my son. I used to be skinny.. now not so much. I just started this journey and choosing to take it slow so I don't feel too overwhelmed with everything. Add me if you like! and good luck to you!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! You know, it is nuts... How done I am. Many times I have said that I need to lose weight, I need to cut back, blah, blah, blah. But, a switch just flipped. I can't do it anymore. I ruined this wonderful body with laziness, fear, and denial. I honestly just woke up 4 days ago, put on my tennis shoes,and starting working out. Signed up for this site. I have never had a weight problem, I have been fortunate. I created this whole mess. Not genetics, not a disability, not an illness...just greasy southern food, too much Netflix, and Pabst Blue Ribbon. I gave myself a weight problem.

This happened to me on the 11th of August, just put on my sneakers and got to work. (You can tell I'm a transplant; I wear sneakers instead of tennis shoes.) I have 4 kids ages 7-19 and want to get back to 150 which is what I weighed before my first pregnancy. I have 25 pounds to go. You can do this.

I'm sending a friend request - and by the way, you do have a very pretty face. Now we'll work on making you feel that the rest of you matches again. Deal?
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

It's nice to see that you are making a change and realize that you did this to yourself. Too many blame pregnancy on weight gain. However it was their lifestyle that made them overweight/obese and not their children. With hard work and dedication you will reach your goal. Good luck.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    So many of us have been there. I have 6 children aged 3 - 25; bounced back easy after no.1 with no effort (something to do with being 18, maybe) but had to make the effort the other 5 times! You can do it!
  • mandacancan
    Options
    I am loving all the love :-). Thank you everyone!
  • mandacancan
    Options

This happened to me on the 11th of August, just put on my sneakers and got to work. (You can tell I'm a transplant; I wear sneakers instead of tennis shoes.) I have 4 kids ages 7-19 and want to get back to 150 which is what I weighed before my first pregnancy. I have 25 pounds to go. You can do this.

I'm sending a friend request - and by the way, you do have a very pretty face. Now we'll work on making you feel that the rest of you matches again. Deal?

Deal!!!
  • dreamsicle23
    Options
    You and I could be the same person! We'll do it!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I used to get that all the time...

Now I get.. Damn those calves are hot and recently someone said, You are a hottie with a brick *kitten* house body. I think that was a compliment. LOL

Keep going.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    My switch flipped recently too! Crazy how that can happen and change everything. Good luck!