I cant stop eating!!!!!!

Options
I do good all day and then after dinner I go crazy!!! I cant control myself...

Ive went from 230 pounds to 155 since the beginning of the year and I feel amazing!! But for the last 3 days ive ate like crazy... just tonight ive had 2 cookie ice cream sandwiches (220 calories each) , 1 Klondike bar (260 calories), 1 ice cream sandwich (160 calories), and about 4 cups of apple jacks... the first 2 nights were even worse... i ate a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting :( I know what im doing is unhealthy but i just cant stop! I weighed myself and havent gained any weight ..yet but any tips to get me past this overeating? Maybe its just a little phase? My dad eats all that stuff so it has to be in the house...

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    This will sound silly, but write your dad's name on the containers. Make it NOT okay for you to eat. ( I label all of my expensive GF food so that my kids know what not to eat and all of their sweets so that I don't feel free to eat it. I also label the 7 yo's lunch box foods so that my teens don't eat it without telling me and leave him with no lunch. )
    Sounds like you are after sweets - particularly ice cream - frozen yogurt works for me. Not the kind in the 1/2 gallon container, the GoGurt or Simply Yogurt kind. One tube and I'm done but my sweet tooth is satisfied. Or dried fruit, which is super-sweet but not as bad for me as ice cream. Or a decaf coffee with a sugar-free flavored creamer.
    If all else fails, walk around the block before you eat it. You may just have time to talk yourself out of it and if you don't at least you walked a little of it off.

It is probably just a phase, but maybe these tips will help it pass.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I'm fine all day at work. Sometimes I'm thankful I work long days and have a long commute. As soon as I get home and sit down, I think I'm hungry, but it is really boredom. It doesn't seem to matter how much I eat during the day. The weekends can be the same too.

What I have learned is that I have to stay busy. My husband works 2nd shift and doesn't get home until midnight. I just can't sit around and watch TV. So I go to the gym often. When I still have extra time in the evening or if I'm just not feeling the gym (burnout), I will take a bath, do a facial, put lotion on, do pedicure/manicure. This extra primping is positive reinforcement that my appearance matters to me and I'm making improvements. If I'm motivated, I will clean/organize, but I don't pressure myself on this stuff.

I also keep sugar-free Jell-O prepared and ready. I can eat a huge bowl for only 80 calories. I take small bites and it takes a really long time to eat. I don't think artificial sweeteners are ideal, but I don't have to be perfect immediately.

The freezer stuff is hard, but maybe your Dad can hide some of his snacks, so they aren't so readily available to you.

Best wishes and congratulations on your success so far!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > I cant control myself

Then you'll be back to 230lbs and even more in no time. How does that make you feel?
  • Linda09189
    Options
    you can choose to eat healthy stuff instead of ALL that ice cream and junk, I'm glad you haven't gained any weight back
    but YOU will, and just keep remembering how long it took you to lose that weight and how hard it really was, do you want to
    go back there again??????????????? pick other stuff make better choices, and as for your DAD let it be HIS FOOD< NOT YOURS.......good luck
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Eek! Put the spoon down and ruuuuun! Maybe if you get out and exercise after dinner, like go for a walk, you won't feel like undoing your efforts by eating a ton of sweets. Or maybe if you changed up what you're snacking on? I used to puree fresh berries and then freeze it in a small ice cube tray and snack on those. Not as lovely as ice cream, but it looks lovelier on my hips than ice cream! If I ever feel like I am about to binge, I take a bite or 2 and then log it and then stand in front of a mirror naked and concentrate on my problem areas and that helps me to realize that I don't want to gain any more weight, ever! But if the cravings ever get severe and I think I might not be able to control myself, I leave the house. I go speed walking for like an hour or longer. I come home exhausted and the cravings are gone. I hope at least one of my suggestions can help you out.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You can stop eating. You're simply choosing not to.

The real freedom from this cycle is getting brutally honest with yourself and asking "why am I taking actions that I know will make me fat again?". As long as you're steeped in the language of "I can't" you're not dealing with your real issues, and you will see no progress.

Also keep in mind that a couple days of binging, in isolation, now and again won't do much harm to you at all (unless you're dealing with an illness, such as diabetes). One of the biggest reasons people fall completely off the wagon is that they take an "all or nothing" attitude. You are taking this binging TOO seriously. Check in with yourself, be honest about why you're slipping, but realize that just because you had a couple days of overeating doesn't mean those days have to mean much in the long run, or in anyway do serious damage to your long term goals.
  • Reed286
    Reed286 Posts: 33
    Options
    > I cant control myself

Then you'll be back to 230lbs and even more in no time. How does that make you feel?

I think this is all I needed to hear... Thanks! I never wanna go back to that weight
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Take a breath your alright!!
    First off i am going to ask you some important questions:

On average how many calories were you eating a day before the overeating started?

What is your exercise like for the week?
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough during the day so that you are not physically hungry. Save yourself 150 calls for a small treat and some hot tea or cocoa. Say you are done and mean it. Brush, floss, and mouthwash to seal the deal on eating for the day. Whatever you do, don't buy bad your old habits that got you obese in the first place. Take control.

Good luck!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I do good all day and then after dinner I go crazy!!! I cant control myself...

Ive went from 230 pounds to 155 since the beginning of the year and I feel amazing!! But for the last 3 days ive ate like crazy... just tonight ive had 2 cookie ice cream sandwiches (220 calories each) , 1 Klondike bar (260 calories), 1 ice cream sandwich (160 calories), and about 4 cups of apple jacks... the first 2 nights were even worse... i ate a half gallon of ice cream in one sitting :( I know what im doing is unhealthy but i just cant stop! I weighed myself and havent gained any weight ..yet but any tips to get me past this overeating? Maybe its just a little phase? My dad eats all that stuff so it has to be in the house...

Yeah, ice cream is my weakness also, but I haven't eaten it in almost a year:-) . I do eat frozen vanilla yogurt which I carefully measure and place it on top of frozen banana, kind of tastes like a poor man's banana split. I don't keep ice cream in the house, could your dad eat frozen yogurt instead? Are you eating out of boredom or stress? It helps to identify your feelings before you snack and log it in your diary.

Good luck!
  • Trarbach
    Options
    What you described was me years back with different influences.surrounding me.. It was still a out of control urge. How did I overcome? I reserved the joy of a late evening 3 block of dark chocolate and let it.dissolve as slow as possible in my mouth . I didn't fight my urge I just adapted it and found it just perfect in its simplicity. The small added.calories and fats left me at ease.and.were manageable,now I am over it but the times I need.the.feel good.effect of it I do so.with no guilt or.regrets. BTW sorry for all the periods after.some.words typing on a phone just bites...
  • Reed286
    Options

On average how many calories were you eating a day before the overeating started?

In average I eat about 1400 calories and ride a stationary bike for about 1 hour a day!
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options

In average I eat about 1400 calories and ride a stationary bike for about 1 hour a day!
    Great workouts!!
    Alright i think your body is telling you that you need to eat more food. It is undernourished so as an instinct it is yelling PLEASE FEED ME and making you out of control hungry.
    If you up your calories a bit i think it might help you get control over that instinctual hunger.

This site will help you figure out how many calories to eat:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Enter in your information and then select a cut%... some people do 20%, others think that is a bit too aggressive and chose 10-15% cut. It will tell you how much you really should be eating. You can fix this problem, you can get back under control.
    43359607.png[/url]
  • lfell6
    lfell6 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can stop eating !

You have lost 75 pounds and that is amazing!!, think how much hard work you have put in to get there!

You may not have put weight back on but it WILL find you and it will go back on and FAST!
    Remember you put it on much faster than you can lose it too

When i feel like a sweet treat i look at it and think, for every minute of eating it is an hour of running to burn that amount of calories and if i don't run it will take me a week to lose the extra weight again.. really makes me not want to cheat!

You have obviously stopped yourself for a while to lose 75pounds so you CAN stop again, and remember a little treat every now and then is good for your soul! but just keep it little and NOT often!

As for your Dad, if he always has that rubbish in the house it sounds like he is at risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease etc etc etc so perhaps you should talk to him and say he needs to change too?? Worked with my Dad, told him he needs to be around for his grandkids!! If that doesn't motivate him then talk to him about how much keeping the weight off and staying healthy means to you!

If you need a motivating friend then feel free to add me , i know what its like having unhealthy parents and role models!
  • Reed286
    Options

Great workouts!!
    Alright i think your body is telling you that you need to eat more food. It is undernourished so as an instinct it is yelling PLEASE FEED ME and making you out of control hungry.
    If you up your calories a bit i think it might help you get control over that instinctual hunger.

This site will help you figure out how many calories to eat:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Enter in your information and then select a cut%... some people do 20%, others think that is a bit too aggressive and chose 10-15% cut. It will tell you how much you really should be eating. You can fix this problem, you can get back under control.
    43359607.png[/url]

Thank you so much!!! Ill deff do that! :))
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

1 - Yes, you can control yourself. Don't let a craving or fleeting feeling take away your sense of control. Whether you overeat junk food or not, it is you making a choice and you acting on that choice. If you can choose to overeat junk food, you can choose to not overeat junk food. That's your power, never let it go!

2 - Looks like you are probably not eating enough total for your day, and probably not enough early enough either. You need to calculate your TDEE and determine a reasonable/healthy cut from there, and then get a good chunk of that early enough so you aren't starving at night. I highly recommend reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    You might want to add some extra protein in your diet and maybe some low fat cheese or cottage cheese will help your dairy cravings.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You have a choice whether to eat or not to eat all the food in the house. If you continue this way, you will gain your weight back, and I get the feeling that is not what you want to do.

Next time take one ice cream sandwich or one serving of ice cream, log it in MFP, and take your serving to another room and enjoy it. When you get the urge to eat more, just don't.

When I used to binge, it was due to emotional issues I was not working out in a healthier way.
  • beachcalsix
    beachcalsix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am a yo yo dieter and I always have this problem after losing weight. I get comfortable and start overeating again and in my mind I'm like "I'll burn this off, I'm fine" but it's NOT fine, I have gained my weight back with this, track yourself, get weight watchers ice cream bars to replace the sweets. Break out old before pictures and remind yourself, whatever you can!