Sad & Frustrated :(

Options
Ive been doing this now for almost 4 weeks. In that time (save for one or two weekends that happened to include family gatherings and nights out) I lost about 3.5 - 4 lbs. I considered last week to be my best so far, having stuck religiously to my diet and climbed a mountain (759m) last Sunday. This morning the scales put me back up 3.5 - 4 pounds and also back at square one. Feel very deflated, let down and losing my motivation to continue.

Admitedly, I have not tried to include exercise to any significant degree, but I thought that the diet change would have been more productive. I don't really know what to do next but I don't want to give up because I want to be a healthy size for my height - any ideas for me?

Current Weight 143lbs
Target Weight 115lbs
Mini Goal (was) 10lbs lost my 31st of October (which now seems unrealistic)
Height 5ft 2"
Age 27
Calories per day = 1200 (projected weight loss on MFP = 0.9lbs per week)

Replies

• NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You haven't been at it that long. I loose in fits and starts. Not regularly. Start up some regular exercise and dig in for the long run. You will see progress. Not always when you expect to. Don't give up now. Starting was the hard part!
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    I didn't really start to lose till I started a significant exercise program.

Also, if you gained 3 pounds in a day or two that is most likely water.
  • Melaniegibson
    Options
    Well maintaining your caloric intake is important, even with a few cheats... But you really have to exercise on a regular basis. That is what will allow you to have the weight loss. It is what will allow you to maintain the weight loss when you get to your target.
    Are you making good choices when you eat?

Don't give up - and just start to incorporate a work out plan into your week.
  • kattague
    Options
    Do you think that maybe you have added some muscle, being that you did climb? Just remember a pound of muscle is a lot smaller than a pound of fat. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Good luck keep at it!! I know how you feel.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Are you calculating and eating exercise calories?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Do you think that maybe you have added some muscle, being that you did climb? Just remember a pound of muscle is a lot smaller than a pound of fat. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Good luck keep at it!! I know how you feel.

It would take Months to add enough muscle to make a difference in weight.
  • suehoo
    suehoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all..... maybe lack of exercise is the problem. I feel I make good choices with food (definitely during the week quite religiously with fresh homemade food everday), however the weekends can be a little more difficult when I go home (although not catastrophic in any way at all) .

Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and stick on the trainers!!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if your watching sodium also, sometime if your sodium is high you may be retain fluid. As far as exercising. At first I didn't do much exercising since I was recovering from surgery. I started walking short distances at first and then slowly increasing my distance. It really didn't take much exercise, just consistency. Park farther away and walk, whatever you can do to move. They say walking and riding a bike help you lose the most weight as far as exercise goes so I try to do both. Now I have added some weight training to tone up and help my bone strength.

Keep at it and just keep trying different things until you find out what works for you. After all, you have the rest of your life to get it right so plenty of time to keep trying, right:wink:
  • bmr5770
    bmr5770 Posts: 13
    Options
    A couple things that have worked for me (and may work for you):

I've been planning out my meals since I started ~2 months ago. It took a bit at first, but now I can do it in about 5 min in the evening + food prep time (if necessary).

I eat six times a day but still maintain the 1270 calories I need to adhere to for the weight loss. Spreading out your meals to every 2-4 hours helps to keep your body fueled throughout the day and may also help to increase your metabolism (as your body is processing food more often).

For the meals, I try to stay between ~150-400 calories with the lower range for 'snack' type meals and the upper for the breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I read in another post that calories over about 600 in a meal will naturally go to storage (fat) as your body just won't need to burn them that fast.

I hope this helps. Just stick with your goals and know that you *can* meet them.

Brent
  • suehoo
    Options
    bmr5770:

For the meals, I try to stay between ~150-400 calories with the lower range for 'snack' type meals and the upper for the breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I read in another post that calories over about 600 in a meal will naturally go to storage (fat) as your body just won't need to burn them that fast.

....I think this could also be a problem for me...I don;t really get hungry during the day so i have no problem saving my calories for my evening meal, which I really, really look forward to.....but is usually in or around 600-700 calories. Maybe ill try having an earlier, lighter dinner and a snack later rather than a large amount all at once for dinner....
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Be sure to spread your calories out throughout the day, drink plenty of water, try not to eat after a set time at night (mine is 6:00pm), and get in at LEAST 3 thirty minute session of exercise a week. Hang in there, those numbers eventually start to move.
  • bbombard
    Options
    Pick your head up.... I tried the same approach initially (focusing on diet not exercise). When I look back it was for 2 reasons: I was lazy (diet control seemed less effort) but I was also a bit intimidated with the whole exercise thing. I had visions of needing to run marathons and back breaking crunches. I just wasnt sure I was ready to push myself physically. So I found a happy medium....

I did 30 minutes of treadmill walking at a brisk pace with some incline. The more incline the more calories were burned so I usually did alot of that. I averaged about 300 calories burned. And dont forget water.....I drank and drink ALOT of water. I never did that before (I was a diet soda guy....until i found out that the sodas actually made me hungrier). That got me started....I started to see a pretty consistent loss of weight. and now.....

I am a bit addicted. I walk on the treadmill monday through thursday (weekends are for me) for between 35-50 minutes at a time. This enables me to pretty much eat whatever I want and still have a few beverages after rough days at work. I feel better and I didnt need to kill myself doing it.

Stay strong! You just need to find your groove and get to know your body. We are all different and you will find what foods, exercises, etc. work and dont work for your body. The good news is that this WORKS! Stick to it and kick that scales butt! Good luck!
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    Sue

Try not to pin your emotions to the number on the scale.

Understand that everyone's weight fluctuates up to 5 or 6 lbs depending on hydration.

You will retain lbs of water if you eat too much sodium.

You will retain lbs of water if you eat enough so your body replenishes your store of glycogen.

You won't gain 4lbs of fat unless you overeat by 14000 calories.

Read my blog about glycogen if you have time.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iAlly

On Friday I ate 2000 calories over my goal. The next morning I was 4 lbs heavier. Two swims on Saturday and Sunday and all the weight has now gone!
  • suehoo
    Options
    Sue

Try not to pin your emotions to the number on the scale.

Understand that everyone's weight fluctuates up to 5 or 6 lbs depending on hydration.

You will retain lbs of water if you eat too much sodium.

You will retain lbs of water if you eat enough so your body replenishes your store of glycogen.

You won't gain 4lbs of fat unless you overeat by 14000 calories.

Read my blog about glycogen if you have time.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iAlly

On Friday I ate 2000 calories over my goal. The next morning I was 4 lbs heavier. Two swims on Saturday and Sunday and all the weight has now gone!

You're right - I need to get a grip, it probably is fluid and I was probably a little depleted from the mountain climb. Thanks to all for the perspective and tips, Im going to incorporate those into my diet and exercise programme for sure .

I'm back on track starting riiiiight...... nnnnnnnnow!
  • iAlly
    iAlly Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm back on track starting riiiiight...... nnnnnnnnow!

WooHoo!! Let's get going :))