Hi, I'm lost

Options
13»

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Listen to the Trog, he knows what he speaks.
  • You can and will be one of those people. Use those people as your inspiration. My snacking in the evening is one of my worst traits so since I have started back on my diet I have changed my routine. I know that some things are difficult to change especially if you have kids or work but the time of day for a snack and certainly the snack itself can change. Its not going to be easy and it doesn't have to cost you anymore money than it does now to fuel your body. You can do anything that you set your mind to< you will find your way. Good Luck to you :smile:
  • jones092508
    jones092508 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I don't have the money to put into a trainer, equipment, etc! It will be the first of the year before were able to invest in this type of stuff! Until then I'm tracking my food, trying to drink water, and walking/working out as much as possible. I've found some workouts to be difficult for me though.
  • cohenida
    cohenida Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think I am doing OK. Today I lost so I feel fine. Tomorrow???Nights are hardest but I seem to be changing.
  • cohenida
    Options
    I am cycling, stationary bike, and doing strength exercise and cardio exercises in a therapy pool. It has been helpful. Last night I had very bad back pain. I think I did something wrong yesterday. So today no strength exercises. I think when something like that happens it is best to take a break and give the muscles a rest. Thanks for replying to my posts. Its great knowing someone reads them and relates to one's problems.
  • cohenida
    Options
    Thanks for the understanding. I am rooting for you and me.
  • cohenida
    Options
    Your post is great. I printed it and will use your advice. Thanks for taking the time.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    6 months ago I was almost exactly your weight & I'm also 5' 8.5". Don't let other people get in your head, they are trying to be nice & but I understand that not everyone likes that kind of encouragement. Yes, we are fat... so what? At least we are doing something about it. Don't think about how long it will take or how much further you have to go. Just do something about it now, and keep doing it every day. You will begin to see progress. These past 6 months would have gone by whether I lost 47 pounds or not... but instead of sitting here weighing 326 or more, I set some goals, made some changes, and now I'm under 280 which is the least I've weighed in 15+ years. It's not easy, and some days are much harder than others. MFP works if you want it to, but nobody can make it happen for you - you've got to want it, and keep wanting it enough to meet your goals. I log everything I eat, and try to exercise at least 30 minutes every day. I only eat back about half of my exercise calories. I can't wait to break through and lose 50# - hopefully by next week - and by Christmas I will be 250#. Best of luck to you - feel free to send me a friend request.

THIS THIS THIS!!! The days, months, years will ROLL by fat or not - I was 48 years old when I figured this out! You will still be here a year from now trying to BE this perfect person when you really just need to TRY TO BE an imperfect but FIT person! Start every day new...plan your food...take stock of your day every evening. Review your day and love the successes harder than you hate the failures - ask yourself - today was hard, why? and what did I learn? Soon you will see a change in your brain which is bigger than your body!!!

Make small corrections every day...tiny changes add up to a huge success!!!
  • RangiRose
    Options
    I have struggled all my life with my weight as well. I wasn't able to start pulling things together until I was 50. Like you, I've been overweight all my life and couldn't remember ever being a normal weight. I pretty knew what to eat and that I needed to exercise. I'm good at losing weight - I've probably lost 300-500 pounds over my life. The problem is always put it right back on. My main problem was me. I would sabotage myself at every turn. It was like one side of my brain wanted to make changes and the other side thought there was no hope, and so would sabotage every effort. Then when I failed again, I would tell myself "see I knew you couldn't do it." Then I felt even worse. I tried to "get motivated," but that never came. One day I woke up and realized that I was ruining my body. I had a real fear that I wouldn't live very long at my current pace. I told myself, "ok girl, you can either get busy living or get busy dying." In that moment I realized that I really wanted to live a full life. I guess all I can say is you have to change your mindset, make small changes, and do it over and over and over.

Part of the change in my mindset is that I realized I couldn't do it alone. I'm just not strong enough. I had a revival of my spirit and turned back to God for help. I'm not saying you have to go to church. But I do think that you have to find something that you can put your trust in, and for me that was God.

On the ground level here's what I actually put in my mouth. I decided to try clean eating habits. I've tried diet foods all my life and I've only gained weight, been unsatisfied, and I don't like how diet food tastes. I decided to push vegetables and fruits, while cutting back on meat. I try to avoid processed foods and diet foods as much as possible.

I would love to friend you and support you how I can.

Love this post- Im exactly the same-age,weight,faith and food....:smile:
  • RangiRose
    Options
    Listen to the Trog, he knows what he speaks.

this^^^, trog's post is one of the best- I thank you too :flowerforyou:
  • JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track. There are lots of great people with many success stories. I totally agree to not fall into the 1200 calorie diet plan. You have to recognize what your body needs and how many calories work for you. Take things slow. Feel free to add me.
  • ma_rivera
    Options
    Hi Smokey,

You're half way there in having decided you have to do something.

From the time I decided I had to do something to now, I haven't' lost a lot of weight, but I made small changes to my routine until they became part of my routine - without having to TRY to change. I think that's a good place to start. For me, I gave up eating in the car - I have a long commute and eating while driving was just not good (for driving or my caloric intake).

I'll send you a request for a friend - if you'd like you can add me and I'd be happy to chat with you along you journey.

Be well,

ma_rivera
  • redhotfirebird
    Options
    Smokey, I bet you already know a lot of these common sense things already. The hard part is to get motivated to follow them. As someone who has lost/gained/lost/gained (100lbs one time!) I can give you a lot of tips......but NO ONE can make you ready to do it but YOU!

Good luck in your quest. It makes my heart sink that you said that you've always felt "fat". :( Just remember, there are a lot of thin and pretty *******s out there. And just because someone IS thin, that doesn't automatically mean they don't still have a poor life. Don't ever equate being thin with being happy. I have done that, and it's not true!

I have a lucky life with a great family, etc and I still need to lose weight. I actually had a "popular" person come up and tell me that they wished they were me! :) My first thought to that was "why" but it still made me understand that sometimes what I think people think about me isn't true. And being "fat" doesn't equal being "worthless". Do what you are capable of, and file the rest away as things to work on, if they are worthy of doing so.

I must add that Trogalicious said is right, don't fall for that "you need to eat only 1200" bullpucky or any set "ideal" weight......that's the only qualm I have with this site.....that intake is not practical or sufficient. I lost 100lbs by eating between 1800 and 2200 calories every day. I weighed 140lbs (at 5'4")...when I got down to 135lbs, people started to worry and ask if I was sick. Keep in mind that if you exercise, you need to feed the machine....I lifted weights (and did NOT look like a professional body builder, hahaha), and at 140lbs was probably at my "ideal" even though the fancy books all said I should be 118 to 120. Yeah, right, for a stick person? Use what you wear as comfortable clothes as a guide.

Good luck, and feel free to add me to your buddy list! :)