How to get enough protein?

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    A research study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association produced a report by the Board of the Institute of Medicine to determine optimal intake of the macronutrients protein, carbohydrates, and fats.
    For sedentary individuals. People doing muscle-damaging exercise cannot possibly get by on the same protein intake.

I know my level is overkill, but it works for me and I'm losing weight just fine. My body can use protein for energy just as it can use fats and carbs. In fact, it'll waste a bit more energy to turn it into usable energy through the process of gluconeogenesis, so there is an efficiency cost to eating my calories in protein vs. carbs. Short version: 100 calories of carbs =/= 100 calories of protein (in terms of available ATP).

I also refuse to lose any muscle while I'm losing fat, so I want to be damned sure that my body has available amino acids on hand whenever it needs to repair muscle.

I don't advocate my way for anybody else. Everybody has to find what works best for them.
  • AS an avid lifter, my protein comes from egg whites, Chicken, and Tuna, Skim Milk....

I bake chicken every other day, only enough to last 2 days.( I hate left overs)

You might consider cutting you protein needs in half, so you don't hurt your kidneys. Only a few times a year boosting to the level your trying to achieve
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I also wholeheartedly believe there is no need to consume "supplemental" protein such as highly processed powders etc. to lose weight....

I have never had a protein shake and I have lost more than 80 pounds now. I find that is IS necessary to change one's eating habits and make gradual, sustainable changes, and find a way to manage "trigger foods" and treat foods, but there is no need to drink nasty protein powders.

It's not for weight loss, it's for muscle retention while losing weight. All you need for weight loss is calorie deficit.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Whey protein (more of it), Greek yogurt, canned tuna.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    1345576043-chikin.jpg
  • ColeAXE
    ColeAXE Posts: 73 Member
    Bump
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    A research study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association produced a report by the Board of the Institute of Medicine to determine optimal intake of the macronutrients protein, carbohydrates, and fats. Regarding protein intake, they determined the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for those 18 years of age and older was 0.8 g of protein per kilogram body weight per day. In plain English, this means .36 grams per pound of body weight.

It was also noted the dietary guidelines published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Governmental programs, such as the school lunch program for children and Meals on Wheels for elderly persons, use the .36 grams/pound/day as well. Same for dietary guidelines published in the dietetic literature, the popular press, and various nutritional computer programs - a recommend protein intake of .36 grams/pound/day.

In example, a 190 pound person would need only 68.4 grams of protein per day. That requirement could be met by ingesting a 4 ounce skinless chicken breast, half a cup of low-fat cottage cheese, and half a cup of crushed walnuts in one day.

Any more protein than this is likely to be superflous - but if you want energy you could do no better than eating starch. Potatoes contain all the vitamins and minerals needed - because they are the storage system of the plant. Likewise with rice

Are you measuring your carb intake? This may deserve your attention. Heres a thought - Carbs are the way to Nirvanah without feeling hungry

Yeah, everything I've read outside of mfp recommends lower amounts of protein. WHO, CDC etc etc all have recommendations that are much lower than what's popular on mfp. For my age it's recommended that I get in around 46 grams a day. The above calculation puts me at around 44 grams. Here's a good site from the CDC with some basic info on protein/how much you should be consuming http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

We're all at different places for our weight/health, and have different macro needs, but there's many of us who just don't need extra protein.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    kinda disappointed that all the anti-protein vegetarians and vegans have jumped in to bad mouth protein, but i'm not surprised...

don't listen to them. they are full of you-know-what.

read these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    LBM is figured out by bf%....ie I am 167lbs and appx 26% bf%...leaves me with appx 128lbs of LBM....so I try to get in 128g of protien a day as I do lift and my calories are at 1600 as well...

I eat the following:

Greek yogurt
    Salmon
    Chicken
    Extra lean burger
    cheese (cottage, marble, parmesan)
    Eggs
    Milk
    Protien powder
    Protien shakes
    Protien bars....
  • iechick
    kinda disappointed that all the anti-protein vegetarians and vegans have jumped in to bad mouth protein, but i'm not surprised...

read these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein

I'm not a vegetarian or anti-protein, but mfp is the only place I've seen the big push for a high protein diet, and that goes against everything that I've read elsewhere, from pretty reputable sources. I will read the links you've given though and see what they say :)
  • iechick

read these:

I'm not a vegetarian or anti-protein, but mfp is the only place I've seen the big push for a high protein diet, and that goes against everything that I've read elsewhere, from pretty reputable sources. I will read the links you've given though and see what they say :)

Eta- just read through the first link and since I don't fall into any of the categories listed there, I still don't believe a higher protein diet would be beneficial in any way for me. Maybe I'm in the special snowflake category on this one, as I'm not trying to lose weight/eat at a calorie defecit and I'm not doing intense exercise/training. I'm a pretty 'average' person, which is what the recomendations from the CDC and such are for.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    I usually shoot for 100g protein a day. sometimes I miss. sometimes I go as high as 130 or so. In 20 months, this has not hindered weight loss, muscle retention, strength increases, or minor muscle gain.

That 1gm/lb lbm is just ridiculous.

ETA: 5'9", 225 lbs, Run 2.5 miles 3x/week, Strength Train with a personal trainer 3x/week
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    I usually shoot for 100g protein a day. sometimes I miss. sometimes I go as high as 130 or so. In 20 months, this has not hindered weight loss, muscle retention, strength increases, or minor muscle gain.

ETA: 5'9", 225 lbs, Run 2.5 miles 3x/week, Strength Train with a personal trainer 3x/week
    maybe u should try it a high protein diet for a month or so and compare the results to what r getting now
  • sullus

maybe u should try it a high protein diet for a month or so and compare the results to what r getting now

What is the expectation? Keep in mind I have no desire to get big or ripped.

ETA: I've done the high protein thing in the past, when I tried every fad diet that came down the pipe. On the plus side, my joints felt more .. lubricated? .. less knee pain. On the minus side, my cholesterol went from 160 to 300
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member

ETA: I've done the high protein thing in the past, when I tried every fad diet that came down the pipe. On the plus side, my joints felt more .. lubricated? .. less knee pain. On the minus side, my cholesterol went from 160 to 300
    if u r not concerned about preserving/building the most muscle mass ur diet is fine
  • sullus

if u r not concerned about preserving/building the most muscle mass ur diet is fine

I'm preserving all of it, and building some ..
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Im sure eyes glossed over after looking at an actual scientific study so I highlighted the relevant part.
    Eating more than RDA of protein is recommended for maintaining lean body mass in a calorie deficit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23739654
    Abstract
    The purpose of this work was to determine the effects of varying levels of dietary protein on body composition and muscle protein synthesis during energy deficit (ED). A randomized controlled trial of 39 adults assigned the subjects diets providing protein at 0.8 (recommended dietary allowance; RDA), 1.6 (2×-RDA), and 2.4 (3×-RDA) g kg(-1) d(-1) for 31 d. A 10-d weight-maintenance (WM) period was followed by a 21 d, 40% ED. Body composition and postabsorptive and postprandial muscle protein synthesis were assessed during WM (d 9-10) and ED (d 30-31). Volunteers lost (P<0.05) 3.2 ± 0.2 kg body weight during ED regardless of dietary protein. The proportion of weight loss due to reductions in fat-free mass was lower (P<0.05) and the loss of fat mass was higher (P<0.05) in those receiving 2×-RDA and 3×-RDA compared to RDA. The anabolic muscle response to a protein-rich meal during ED was not different (P>0.05) from WM for 2×-RDA and 3×-RDA, but was lower during ED than WM for those consuming RDA levels of protein (energy × protein interaction, P<0.05). To assess muscle protein metabolic responses to varied protein intakes during ED, RDA served as the study control. In summary, we determined that consuming dietary protein at levels exceeding the RDA may protect fat-free mass during short-term weight loss.-Pasiakos, S. M., Cao, J. J., Margolis, L. M., Sauter, E. R., Whigham, L. D., McClung, J. P., Rood, J. C., Carbone, J. W., Combs, G. F., Jr., Young, A. J. Effects of high-protein diets on fat-free mass and muscle protein synthesis following weight loss: a randomized controlled trial.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member

The minimum number shown to stave off LBM loss is 0.65g of dietary protein per lb of LBM, with many people using the 1g number b/c it's easier and helps account for any undigested, unabsorbed, etc. at 100g of intake you're probably meeting the 0.65g number easily, assuming you have about 150lb of pure LBM.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Cheese
    Beef Jerky.