Relaxed to Natural: The Big Chop

Options
KayLasMack
KayLasMack Posts: 85 Member
Has anyone made the decision to stop relaxing their hair? If so, which route are you taking?
Grow your natural hair out and then cut off the relaxed ends?
Or have the guts to just cut it all off and start fresh?

Replies

• LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I stopped relaxing my hair. I just started growing it natural and learned what products work best. Target has some pretty good products for us natural ladies
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing anything with my hair... unless shaving it off counts...
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I stopped relaxing my daughter's hair and just used protective styles. No BC, she didn't want that. So it was braids for awhile, and now weaves.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I did.. I just let it grow out. I used braids and weaves and now it is 100% natural.
  • callmenikita
    callmenikita Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I transitioned for 3 months... then got tired of dealing with 3 different types of hair and finally big chopped!
    Best decision i've ever made... i spend $10 a month on my hair vs the 100-150 on weaves, wigs, perms & product.
    My hair is now healthy & thicker than ever before; and i love it :happy:
  • callmenikita
    callmenikita Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Has anyone made the decision to stop relaxing their hair? If so, which route are you taking?

p.s. Big chops are fun! I miss my twa (teeny weeny afro) it was so easy to style and manage
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    580775_956856681395_2025294178_n.jpg
    Relaxed my hair from age 11-24

538687_923292085115_1400077894_n.jpg
    Stopped relaxing/straightening my hair and started letting it grow out

549017_10100103447953285_954594513_n.jpg
    The day I cut half my hair off! lol SOOOOOOOOO depressed!! lol But I got over it eventually!

I then proceeded to letting it grow and cutting a bit more off each time. I cut mine in a series of three cuts.

1381240_10100334582991815_309663366_n.jpg
    My hair this morning at the gym! lol Its wild and crazy and I love it! lol
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've had relaxed hair since before I can remember. My mom started relaxing our hair around 7-8yrs old.
    I chopped all of my hair off on Independence Day 2013 (very apt day to do so, hehehe). I absolutely LOVE it.
    I actually chopped it off again a month later because my hair had grown about half an inch in a month and I was still enjoying my TWA so much. (Just to give a frame of reference, my hair prior to my Big Chop, probably grew about 1/2 inch in a YEAR, not in a month).

I'm now letting it grow out and am learning my natural texture and how to care for natural hair after a lifetime of relaxed hair (and tons of damage to said hair).

My daily routine is pretty simple so far.
    I wash with conditioner (or just plain water) every morning and wrap my hair in a tee-shirt while I dry off from showering. I then spritz on a bit of water (if my hair is already dry), rub plain olive oil into my hair, then my curl defining cream. I comb/style, then off I go! My hair takes all of 10 minutes where it used to take upwards of 30 minutes every morning.

One thing I have spent money on recently is a lot of big, bold earrings. With my hair this short, I am rockin' GIANT earrings, lol.
  • Badjinn
    Badjinn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used various protective styles for about two years slowly cutting ends until it was a nice length. Then after trying various gel found they made my hair dry. Now my tresses love condition only styling and.oils. winter back to.protective styles
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options

I then proceeded to letting it grow and cutting a bit more off each time. I cut mine in a series of three cuts.

1381240_10100334582991815_309663366_n.jpg
    My hair this morning at the gym! lol Its wild and crazy and I love it! lol

I have nothing to add to this thread and just came in out of curiosity. I did want to say that I LOVE your hair in this last picture! :love:
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    i style my hair with a towel
  • KayLasMack
    KayLasMack Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been transitioning for a year and was scared to do a big chop. Protective styles were the best choice for me. The protective style I fell in love with were crochet braids(profile picture). This style was easiest for me while transitioning because it isn't as time consuming as individual braids or twists.

In December, I plan on cutting off the remaining relaxed ends of my hair(about an inch). So Excited!! :bigsmile:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Ah see! You don't even have much to cut off now! Good for you...Will you be wearing your hair natural after you cut it?
  • TheRealOrson
    TheRealOrson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Someone please aware me on "relaxing"
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    After the Big Chop (and flat ironed to heck and back. I don't use flat irons much now either.)

il1DfxU.jpg?1

And now I do braids, weaves, and just rock it in twists/twist outs

MM2lDkH.jpg?1
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Someone please aware me on "relaxing"

http://bit.ly/1f7rVqM
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    i style my hair with a towel