Getting 8 or more fruits/veggies? Tell me more...

Options
I have targeted 5 a day for years, and am working to increase that. What kind of mix do you eat. More fruits? more veggies? equal split? double servings at a time? what does your day look like in terms of when and what you eat to get them all in?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I generally follow the seasons and get my fill until it comes around again. Corn, zucchini, tomatoes, fingerling potatoes, garlic, golden beets, patty pans are what I'm noming through lately. Fruit, don't eat much, but generally berries and only when in season locally.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I generally eat two to three servings at lunch and then another two to three servings the rest of the day. I don't really have any specific fruits or vegetables that I try to eat each day, I just get a bunch of produce each week and eat it throughout the week. Sometimes I have carrots and berries for lunch, then a banana in between lunch/dinner, then after dinner at night maybe an orange or a salad, etc.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I rely on veggie add-ons at breakfast (peppers and onions in scrambled eggs, sliced tomatoes on breakfast sandwiches), plenty of salads for lunch throughout the week (easily three to five servings each), and two or three servings of vegetables at dinner (two cups of broccoli/cauliflower with roast chicken, three cups of various veg in a stir-fry, soup loaded with veggies). I don't know that I always get eight servings in, but I range from five to ten most days.
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    I eat on average 6 meals a day, and I have at least one portion of fruit or veggies with every meal, for breakfast and lunch I usually go for avocado or fruit on toast or whatever fruit I have in the house with oatmeal. Snacking is fruit and nuts. And dinner is whatever veggies I have in the house (and I'm slowly expanding what I will eat, but peppers and lettuce is still out of the question).
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I eat maybe 2c veges at dinnertime. And that's it for vege. Other than that I might have a baby banana and a mandarin. In summer when the watermelon arrives however.... :p
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Fruit at breakfast (1 serve)
    Salad for lunch (2-3 serves)
    Vegies with dinner (2-3 serves)

Fruit and/or vegies as snacks during the day (1-2 serves)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    More veggies than fruits is better, in my opinion, as many fruits tend to be much higher in sugar as well as calories. But admittedly, i looooooove fruit, and find it easy to go overboard. People who say no one ever got fat eating fruit haven't seen me work my way through a bag of honeycrisp apples or a bunch of bananas!!!

I eat fruits and veggies several times a day. Most days, one meal is super heavy on veggies, enough to fill a days nutritional needs for sure. I don't really think about "how many portions" of fruits and veggies I eat, I just work on meeting my caloric needs and getting close to my macros. Since fruits and veggies are generally low calorie and healthy, they make up a large portion of my diet.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    All I eat are fruit, vegetables, beans, grains and nuts. For me, its easy.
    At dinner, I reckon I probably ate about 10 different vegetables
  • Ozzyopolis
    Options
    Same as benol1 there. He beat me to it. :)
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have targeted 5 a day for years, and am working to increase that. What kind of mix do you eat. More fruits? more veggies? equal split? double servings at a time? what does your day look like in terms of when and what you eat to get them all in?

I eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet and I try to make veggies the foundation of my day (doesn't always happen, but it's what I work towards). Yesterday was a good day for the veggies and fruit-I ate

1 large sweet potato (with cinnamon/sugar sprinkled on top-pure awesomeness :bigsmile: )
    1 large, dinner plate sized salad with lettuce, a whole roma tomato, mushrooms, green bell pepper, mild pepper rings, and then black olives, croutons and regular ranch dressing

supper was a large, canning jar sized green smoothie with kale, spinach, strawberries, blueberries, two small bananas and then flax seed, chia seed and water; small plate of olives and almonds.

Green smoothies are great for getting in veggies and fruit, especially the leafy greens that are so good for you! I try to have one every other day or so and they're filling enough to be the main part of a meal :)

I haven't fully planned out today yet, but I am going to have a vegetarian 'taco' salad for lunch-dinner plate sized again with lettuce, tomato, onion, black olives, flax seed, warmed up refried beans and then a couple splashes of hot sauce. I'll also probably have some 'sauteed' red bell pepper with onion and mushrooms for a snack later (I make this in a frying pan with some water and spices).
  • PinkkCamel
    PinkkCamel Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - fruit with yoghurt or if i have scrambled eggs i usually fry w onion and tomato or carrot or something.

Lunch - accompanied with salad dressed w balsamic, or steamed veggies.

Dinner - large serving of mixed steamed vegs (like 1-3 cups depending) with lemon juice. Sometimes a side of beans/chickpeas etc. Or a salad. Haha. I'm pescetarian so often the main part of my meal is vegetable based anyway like a veg casserole.

Snacks - raw vegs like carrot, cucumber or tomatoes (people think I'm weird for eating tomatoes like an apple). Fruit is great as a snack too. (: 'Candy' like snacks are things like frozen raspberries or blueberries. Relatively lower cals and a hell of a lot better for you than 'candy' (lollies? Saying candy as an australian is weird lol).
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for sharing what you do to get plenty in. :) Some great ideas and I'll start adding some to my breakfast; that's a great way to get a headstart on the day, and probably will help carry me through the morning a little better!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I throw a few servings into my nutri bullet and juice them. It is an easy way to make sure I get several servings of fruits/veggies in and drink them in just a couple of minutes. Then getting the rest in throughout the day is easy.
  • chablahblah
    Options
    You should eat more veggies than fruit, but any extra fiber is great. This is my recommendation fro fruit and veggies daily:
    Fruit: 3-5 (include berries)
    Vegetables: 5-7 (include dark leafy greens)

When you pick out fruits and veggies make sure you pick a variety of things because the different colors of the fruit or veggies provide a variety of different nutrients. My rule of thumb is to buy the entire rainbow. Here is a list of the top super foods:
    Beans Pumpkin
    Blueberries (really all berries) Spinach (all greens)
    Broccoli Tomato
    Oranges (citrus fruit) Carrots (love baby carrots)

You should try spinach because its hands down a super food and easy to fit into your meals. I put it in with my eggs, sandwiches, wraps, lasagna, pizzas, salads, smoothies, soups, sauces, or I just eat it plain.

What I tend to eat in one day is:
    2 eggs scramble (1 cup of chopped onion, 1 cup raw spinach), orange or berries, bagel thin w/ coffee
    sandwich (black forest ham, tomato, onion, spinach, laughing cow spreadable cheese wedge), baby carrots, kashi bar
    chobani nonfat yogurt
    varies ( usually 6-8oz of lean protein, 1.5-2 cups of veggies, fruit for dessert some times)
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'd go for more veggies it's lower in calories.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I probably eat more fruit throughout than vegetables. I've been doing a lot of green smoothies lately, but the only vegetable in those are the greens. Spinach, kale, lettuce, herbs. Besides that they are fruit.

Other ways we have of getting in veggies are to either julienne them and mixing with pasta or stirfries, or to grate, drain, and sautee for a few minutes with a bit of olive oil. This grated mix of veggies can be added to just about anything. Pasta, lasagna, taco meat, rice, soup whatever. I don't know if your family is picky. Mine is about whole veggies, but if they are grated or mixed in with other things they don't care. We all love zucchini 'pasta' around here too .;)

At least once or twice a week we have an assemble your own sandwich night. Whole grain tortillas with an assortment of veggies: matchstick carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, etc with some sort of protein and usually some sort of cheese.

Another word on zucchini pasta. It doesn't have to just be zucchini. We regularly julienne squash, peppers, and/or carrots to add in there. I make it about a ratio of 3/4 veggies to 1/4 real pasta. It makes for a beautifully colored dish. It can be Italian with marina or pesto sauce, Indian with a curry sauce, Asian with bits off egg and soy sauce, Thai with a mixture or cilantro, mint, and basil, or that same Thai mixture with peanut butter added, etc.

And of course we eat a side salad most nights.

I find the biggest thing is to be in the habit of making veggies the main component of your dish. That means I spend much less time on the 'main' portion of the meal. I'll cook a chicken or roast in the oven or crockpot and rotate that for a few meals. I cook batches of dried beans and portion them out.
  • NH_Norma
    Options
    Another word on zucchini pasta. It doesn't have to just be zucchini. We regularly julienne squash, peppers, and/or carrots to add in there. I make it about a ratio of 3/4 veggies to 1/4 real pasta. It makes for a beautifully colored dish. It can be Italian with marina or pesto sauce, Indian with a curry sauce, Asian with bits off egg and soy sauce, Thai with a mixture or cilantro, mint, and basil, or that same Thai mixture with peanut butter added, etc.

I LOVE this idea!! We like spaghetti squash but I do miss real pasta. I have used julienne zucchini in a "salad" (cold casserole really) dish I sometimes make that also has a little pasta in it, but never thought about mixing it in with pasta for a pasta meal. I'm going to try that next week!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't eat that much because I'd never meet my protein goals!
  • foodiscomplicated
    foodiscomplicated Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Impressive. Can I friend you? Like track your posts.
  • NH_Norma
    Options
    Impressive. Can I friend you? Like track your posts.

I assume you were directing that at a few of the impressive posters above, not my original question but anyone is welcome to add me as a friend but please include a message so I know who you are and what your goals are. :)