HELP: in need of Spinach recipies

Options
Brat3073
Brat3073 Posts: 160
I lead a weight management and exercise class on wednesday nights at my class. We have lots of fun too. I always have some sort of healthy ti[ or article and a recipie for all my gals when i get there. I found a great article on spinach (Shape magazine), well not really an article, but a lil ta-daa-daa-daa about how spinach is the new brain food. So anyhow......i am looking for some tastey recipies that have spinach in them and if you can send the nutritional values along with it, that would be fab! thanks!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I had spinach for lunch. I like Spinach Salads, with a light red wine or raspberry vinagrette, or yesterday, I sauteed the spinach with some minced garlic (pre-minced, packed in water) and some fresh mushrooms. YUM!
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    Google Green Monster. A few weeks ago someone made a post on here about green monster smoothies - basically a smoothie that has spinach in it. I googled it a few days later when I could no longer find the post and and got a ton of recipes (mainly smoothies) that contain spinach. I tried a few versions and believe it or not some are really good, low calorie, and provide a ton of energy.
  • Fuhgeddaboudit
    Options
    spinach with weight watchers mozzarellla & a tablespoon of parmesean cheese is my fav.... its lower in cals than you'd think!
  • selaing
    Options
    Saute spinach, diced tomatoes and a few kalamata olives in olive oil or even canola if you are watching cholesterol.
    Add garlic and/or onion at your preference.
    Mix with a whole grain pasta (I prefer farfalle) and some feta cheese. Add chicken or tofu for an added protien boost.

The olives do add some fat, but the saltiness of just a few really adds a great flavor with jut a few.
    Goat cheese works well instead of feta as well, and melts better as you mix it if you want a different twist.
    Cut out the cheese if you are avoiding lactose or dairy-fat.
    The touch of oil from the sautee substitutes nicely for a sauce - and helps with the mixing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't have NI, but it's easy enough to figure:

Cook spinach (fresh or frozen) and mix in olive oil and goat or feta cheese. Serve as a side dish.

A salad (baby spinach and whatever other veggies you want and maybe some cheese and egg whites). I use oil and vinegar as dressing.

Cook up some spinach with other veggies of choice in flax or canola oil and eat with whole grain pasta and some goat and cheddar cheese.

Add into an omelet or scrambled eggs.

Add to a smoothie (most people say they can't taste it. To me, it makes the smoothie taste chalky, but since other people love it, I'll add it to my list).
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have the exact calories for this anymore.
    But this is an amazing recipe to be so healthy!

Spinach Artichoke Casserole
    Ingredients:

* 5 egg whites
    * 2 whole eggs
    * 2 cups fat free cottage cheese
    * 2 cups cooked chopped spinach
    * 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts
    * 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    * 1 tsp salt
    * 1 tsp black pepper

Directions:

Beat eggs and egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Stir in all remaining ingredients until well blended. Transfer to a pam sprayed 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until set, approximately 40 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
    Number of Servings: 10
  • darcibean
    Options
    I don't have NI, but this is really good.

Cook up some onion and mushrooms along with spinach in some olive oil and garlic, toss in some cooked chicken cubes.
    Make a small roux with some flour, add some milk and chicken broth for a little sauce and toss with whole grain pasta. I just eyeball the liquids just to make enough to coat the pasta a little bit.

You can top with some lowfat mozzarella and parmesan cheese too.
  • jcmc99
    jcmc99 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have made a simple soup with it. Low sodium chicken stock, cheese tortillini, garlic (minced) and then just before you serve it, stir in fresh spinach. This is a recipe from Giada Delarentis ont he food network. Love it. Takes no time at all and is light and wonderful.
    I have also made pesto witht he fresh spinach. Make it just like regular pesto. Add toasted pinenuts and oliveoil to food processor. it is really good. Oh and the parmeasan cheese too!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I love spinach salad with tangerine sections, sliced almonds and ground pepper. I also like to throw in fresh spinach in any pasta dish just till it wilts. Back when I didn't watch what I ate I loved Boston Market's creamed spinach. YUM. Well I still love it I just dont eat it anymore.

I love spinach!
  • elsa11170
    elsa11170 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My kids love this one...
    Spinach Pie
    Spinach (I buy one of those frozen bags, defrost and squeeze out all the water)
    Cottage cheese (a container, up too you how much I usually put the whole thing in)
    Cheddar Cheese or you could use a healthier cheese...mozzarella? (1 1/2 cups or more)
    one egg
    and a frozen pie crust

mix everything together. Put it in the pie crust, cover it with the other pie crust.
    Bake at 250 for an hour or until brown.
  • lindzbindz
    Options
    bump
  • islandghrl
    Options
    I am new to this but I got a great tasting recipe from the tv show "Giada". I don't know the nutritional values but here it is: I use a big bag of fresh spinach and roughly 3-4 garlic cloves diced small. In frying pan drizzle olive oil and heat then add garlic for a few and add spinach till sauteed down. Sprinkle with a wee bit of sea salt if needed. There u go. It is DELICIOUS. The kids love it.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi i love spinach,

And this is one of my favorite recipes

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Spinach

Its a good one its low in calories, high in taste and filling!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Creamy Spinach dip:

Ingredients
    1 small shallot, peeled
    1 5-ounce can water chestnuts, rinsed
    1/2 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste
    6 ounces baby spinach
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Preparation
    1.Pulse shallot and water chestnuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add cream cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse until just combined. Add spinach and chives and pulse until incorporated.

Tips & Notes
    Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Stir before serving.

Nutrition Per 1/4-cup serving: 54 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).