Same weight, morning and night, all week.

Options
So for the past six days I have been the exact same weight every time I weigh myself. My scale goes to the tenth of a pound and it hasn't even budged. After about three days of not losing anything despite cutting more calories and/or exercising longer (cardio) I started to weigh myself in the morning, when I got home from work, and right before I went to bed....all the time the exact same weight! I normally eat around 1200 calories a day but yesterday (as an experiment...not normally) I only ate about 800 and still nothing changed.

I thought maybe something was wrong with my scale so I picked up my six pound weights and stepped on and the numbers went up.....I don't think it is salt retention because I normally drink 8-12 cups of water a day.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? No weight movement?

Replies

• bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    So for the past six days I have been the exact same weight every time I weigh myself. My scale goes to the tenth of a pound and it hasn't even budged. After about three days of not losing anything despite cutting more calories and/or exercising longer (cardio) I started to weigh myself in the morning, when I got home from work, and right before I went to bed....all the time the exact same weight! I normally eat around 1200 calories a day but yesterday (as an experiment...not normally) I only ate about 800 and still nothing changed.

I thought maybe something was wrong with my scale so I picked up my six pound weights and stepped on and the numbers went up.....I don't think it is salt retention because I normally drink 8-12 cups of water a day.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? No weight movement?

No weight movement even with clothes?

Never.

you'd have to be getting lighter in your body during the day to make up for the food in your system and the clothes you are wearing.

I reckon maybe your scales are stuck.

Are they mechanical or electronic? Has any water got into them lately?
  • michellanious
    michellanious Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are they mechanical or electronic? Has any water got into them lately?

My thoughts exactly about the zero weight change with or without clothes and through the day.

My scale is electronic and I keep it in my kitchen but nothing has been spilled recently...I'm going to try to find another scale to weigh myself on. Who knows? Maybe it's time to graduate from my $20 target scale.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Or quit obsessively weighing yourself 3 times a day. Likely 1200 calories is under eating and eating 800 calories is definitely heading into the eating disorder zone. Fat doesn't come off the instant you don't eat an extra 400 calories. It just doesn't work that way. You may go a couple weeks and lose nothing then suddenly drop 2 lbs.

You don't look like you have a lot to lose and eating at 1200 probably isn't going to be healthy. You shouldn't be trying to lose more than at most a pound a week. I bet you have your settings at 2 lbs because you obviously want whatever weight you're trying to lose off right now. When you are close to your ideal weight it just doesn't happen like that.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    water alone is heavy. I don't see how I could way the say morning and night if I'm drinking all my water alone - much less foods.
  • Dashie1
    Options
    Try weighing just once a week. If you are exercising a lot, you are making muscle which has wt. Eat what you are supposed to eat, also take measurements once weekly. You may be losing inches and not know it.

Please do not be discouraged, but weigh only once a week!!!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I've had it that I weigh the same for a full week, but I ALWAYS go up throughout the day when food is added to my system and heavier clothing.

Methinks the issue is with your scale...
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Your scales are broken. There is no possible way you can weigh the same thing at night and the following morning, unless you did not breathe in between. Get it repaired.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have had this happen. Crazy what breaks it is a high calorie day... Sounds crazy... But after the high calorie day I will drop a few pounds. I think out body just says enough of restricting me... Try eating more for one day:) good luck !
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me 2-3 times over the past six months. Usually for about a week at a time, when I am not eating all of my allotted daily calories. If I start eating a little more, it moves again.

I don't believe "OH! Starvation mode!" but eh, that's what happened. I'll get in the habit of eating around 1,200 calories for several days, and the scale stops creeping downward and just "sticks". Then I will increase to 1,400, or 1,600 - whatever my MFP goal is at that time - and start seeing movement.

Good luck
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Or quit obsessively weighing yourself 3 times a day.

Sheesh! Don't be a party pooper! :D

Obsessively weighing yourself 3 times a day is fun. Especially at the beginning of a diet. I do it. half the world does it. :p
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Here you go.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Read it, then read it again. Then follow the hyperlinks in the article. Take an hour out of your day and read this. I know you have an hour because you increased your activity in the gym so you have time. Read

Edit: Read this too. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Also.......your scale is not broken. I don't understand where people get this from. So now it's the scales fault? Uhhh.

Even if it hurts "fat loss", a person will still experience weight loss. If you have fat to lose, at a deficit, you will lose weight. Check the gym scale or another scale and compare.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself multiple times a day to check to make sure I'm on track with what I'm eating. I paid $15 for my scale at Costco.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Op, why are you weighing yourself so often?

If you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Since you are maintaining, my guess would be you are eating more calories than you think you are.

As for your scale, put it away. Weigh yourself once a week only and only for the purpose of checking progress.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself multiple times a day to check to make sure I'm on track with what I'm eating. I paid $15 for my scale at Costco.

Do you log it as exercise too? There are so many fluctuations in weight throughout the day because of food intake, waste storage, water retention, etc that it really means nothing to weigh constantly. It isn't tracking what you're eating other than letting you know how much poop you may have stored. You don't eat a cookie and it instantly slaps fat on your butt!