Anyone measuring success differently

Options
Hi everyone,

I want to measure my success by changes to my body rather than a difference on the scales. I don't own a pair of scales and have previously been disheartened using them. Anyone else measuring in just cms or inches? I am coming to my fourth week and plan to take my second set of measurements then.

Replies

• zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm measuring by inches, a photo every month and how my clothes fit. I check the scale out of curiosity, but it isn't a big deal anymore.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I track inches/cm. I also track fitness markers. The fitness markers are much more exciting, usually :)
  • KoalaKnight
    KoalaKnight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sort of, I do note my waist by the fact that my belt keeps needing to use closer in holes to latch, but most of MY success measurement is in workout ability since I started lifting weights/cardio along with eating better to lose weight. Trying to get too worked up about weight is pointless since muscle weighs more than fat :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Yes. cms, inches, body fat %, blood pressure, cholesterol, HDL, LDL
    Pounds?...not so much.
  • monietrojan
    monietrojan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Inches are better measurements than weight. I measure inches on my body twice a month. I measure my stomach, thighs, hips, and waist. I see a difference more in the inches than my weight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself, but I mostly go by photos and how clothes fit. And fitness - running faster, lifting heavier, etc.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    1375658_615678398470599_1769910931_n_zps4dec8586.jpg

I use my level of fitness.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I do scale every friday morning, measurements once a mth around the 8th & take photos every few mths then do comparison pics. I highly recommend measurements, sometimes when you can't see it on the scale you see it in your measurements. The easiest way for me to tell was in my clothing though, when my pants were falling off or I could pull them down without undoing them, that was fun :-)
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am using physical things along with the scale. I have RA and it is helping to lose the weight. Not having all over joint pain all day long is awesome. And I take pictures. Not to post yet, but for me. That is a good way to tell progress.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I do weigh in as it's part of a challenge I am in but would rather take measurements and go off of the fit of my clothes. It's such a better measure of my progress. I also take pictures - huge motivator to see the progresses I've made!
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I track everything. Weight, measurements, pictures, clothes, energy level and how strong I'm getting.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I use increasing my weights and running a faster mile at the gym. If I gain a pound, then I gain a pound.
    I haven't weighed or measured myself in months and all of my clothes still fit.
  • mmc23
    mmc23 Posts: 42
    Options
    I do track the weight but I only weigh myself once a week, sometimes less. For a while I was focused too much on food journaling and getting kind of obsessive about every bite, so I scaled back on that too. For me it is way more about how I feel and how much energy I have. My big victories are more the fitness markers and how my clothes fit. :)

In my head I am looking to beat my previous 5K time from before my ankle injury. Even if I have to walk half of it, I've still got that goal.
  • JimBarnhartMN
    JimBarnhartMN Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Weight is my number 1 focus item, because I'm trying to lose a bunch. I weigh myself officially every Friday morning.

Some more important numbers in my mind is my cholesterol is down to 126 (and I'm now completely off medication), my blood pressure is 130/70 (and am now completely off of medication).

I also am satisfied when I have to cut down my belt, drill another hole, fit into smaller sized clothes.

I haven't measured inches along my journey, perhaps I should have because there is a lot less of me now than there was in February.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hmmm the tape measure can also be misleading. My body is in a lot better shape but very little difference on the tape as I've muscled up! I like pictures tho. May start doing that. :)
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to move off the scale and only measure my success based on performance goals.

What do I want my body to be capable of doing? My body transformation will continue as a by-product of journey towards those goals.

I'm 48 yrs old. My current performance goals this yr:
    350# Deadlift
    135# OHS
    115# Squat Snatch
    185# C&J

Longer term: 400# Deadlift on my 50th b-day.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I track inches/cm. I also track fitness markers. The fitness markers are much more exciting, usually :)

Exactly this. Make fitness goals, and celebrate when you meet or exceed them. There is more to fitness than just losing weight. :-D
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    1375658_615678398470599_1769910931_n_zps4dec8586.jpg

I use my level of fitness.

Love the picture. :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i just use the mirror....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!