Help me learn to like running........

Options

Replies

• susanr613
    Options
    What can I expect to gain health-wise?
    If you don't have knee issues, then you gain increased aerobic capacity, great legs, and lowered blood pressure (because your heart is working more efficiently). Your increased aerobic capacity will help you with other activities including workouts and every day stuff.

At what point do those endorphins kick in? I'm beginning to think they are imaginary :)
    They kick in for me when I'm finished - I feel tired but happy/giddy.

Will I ever grow to actually LIKE to run?
    It depends on what it does to your body and if an activity like running suits your personality. I am an extrovert, but I'm also independent enough that I need to do my own thing every so often (ie not follow along in a class). On the other hand, I enjoy races - I like all the positive energy.

What is a good pace? Last night I ran 1.5 miles in 19 minutes, burned 146 calories....is that good? What should I be aiming for? A good pace is what works for you. I highly recommend a couch to 5 k type program where you slowly increase your pace and endurance.

I agree with other posters that the first 5 - 10 minutes of a run are uncomfortable - your heart and lungs have to adjust from resting to running.

I believe that you do have to learn to like running and then you love it, your body can't take it, or you decide to get your cardio elsewhere.

Good luck!
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good tips above....for me, it's really, really good music. Running (other than sprinting or hill runs) is way too boring to me, but music helps if I NEED to do it (which is rare now). There are certainly a ton of other things you can do, though. What about HIIT training or plyometrics or swimming or hiking or a cardio machine or video (if you feel that straight cardio is a must).... Don't torture yourself . Find something you like and that also kicks your booty. :) Good luck!
  • jaysull21
    Options
    It comes when it comes. I know when it hit for me. There was a switch that flipped in me when I saw the clock on my second 5k. Story below, stop reading if you don't wanna hear my life story lol.

On my first 5k , I hated it, I was not ready... but I committed, and it was 87 degrees and humid and I was overweight. I did not RUN the whole time, maybe 1.5 miles tops. 39:41 was my time. I gave up until the next spring. I walked in the spring. Not because I was going to run, because I topped out at 201 lbs in the winter. I told myself I might do the 5k again, but oh gee, my kid had a baseball game that night, sorry, I'm missing out...

But for whatever reason I started running in June anyway.... Not happily , just doing it to do it because I was still overweight. So, there was a torrential downpour + lightning on the night the 5k was supposed to take place and they postponed it for a few weeks. I could now do this race. So I prepped for a few weeks. I had expectations that I would do better..., a young co-worker asks me what my goal is as we're lining up, and I say 35:00, but I'm pretty sure I can do 33:00. I started timing myself at the track. I'd hit 33 a few times.

So, its now a year later, I was still overweight (down 10 pounds though), but the humidity was gone, the weather was a lovely 75 degrees. I never thought about NOT running at this point. My goal was to run this whole race.... no matter what..... The first mile was good. I was keeping up with a couple ladies from work..... The second mile was decent too... but I started over heating... Thank goodness they had lots of water stations, I doused myself in water, drank some too.... But mostly got it in my eyes. There was another station about 2.5 miles in .... doused again. So about three miles in , we're closing to the end, we just have to go around this one building , and I turned the corner and OH MY GOD, the clock says 28 something. 28 SOMETHING??? I SPRINTED AS HARD AS I COULD. I couldn't imagine I would ever get under 30, and here I am in the 28s!! I'm so excited.

THIS is when I started to enjoy running. Not when I crossed the line. When I saw the time, and I wasn't even there yet..... I had this immense feeling of pride that I hadn't felt in a while, and that was what did it.

So today, its October 4th, we're about three months since then, and I have my first 10K in two days, and my first Half Marathon the week after. I really do enjoy running. I'm not sure I LOVE it yet, but its something that makes me feel good.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    P.S My most satisfying achievement wasn't finishing a marathon with thousands of people at a finish line...it was completing my first ever mile without stopping at a dreary industrial estate with no crowds or family waiting...just knowing I did it in 15 minutes, little quicker than walking pace.

I read this and thought "yeah, this guy's a runner."

Everyone is different, but for me, some of the best moments of my life have come while running, usually alone, always outside and never with music. They are different depending on what I'm doing --- it's great pushing myself through a 9th 400M interval at a pace faster than I used to be able to run one, but it's also great running in the mountains near the Appalachian trail during a quiet snow fall.

I also think that the more accustomed to running you get, the easier it is go out and cruise for a few miles, and that's when it's really enjoyable --- your body doing something it's great at, eating up the distance and feeling like you could run forever.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Wow...lots of great replies and great ideas. I think there might be a runner inside of me somewhere...I want to give it a try. I remember when my Dad made me do that run around the block and I HATED it. But that summer I spent a week at the beach with my grandparents and we (the kids) had races on the beach....running in sand is NOT EASY!!! I beat all the boys that year, could run faster than any of them and did that feel good!

I especially like the comments about stronger legs. Despite being in the best shape of my life I still carry any excess weight in my thighs. The gym has changed them and they are way better than they used to be, but I always think of them in a negative way. I know they will always be my least favorite body part but thinking of myself as having STRONG legs is really appealing and might be the push I need to give this a try!

Thanks everyone :)
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I started running when I weighed 230ish pounds. The only running I did before that was laps in a gym class or a short sprint to catch a bus. I took a ladies only clinic at our local running store. It was a completely unintimidating way to learn to run - they started you out slowly - 1 (walk) and 1 (run) - by the end of the clinic you could run 10 and 1. Not only that, you didn't feel like you were in it alone - there were others there with all different shapes and sizes wanting to accomplish the same goal. A year and a half later I registered for my first charity run (not a race) - it was a 5 km. It was awesome - just being out there with people running for a cause. I loved it. I loved the adrenaline rush of being with a group of people.

During that run, I decided I was going to train to run my first half marathon a year later. I 85% attribute losing over 100 pounds to training for the half marathon. Literally the weight started melting off. And, I got to eat SO MUCH FOOD - it was awesome. Fast forward 3 years and I have now decided I am going to train for my first marathon. I just find it exhilerating. Athletically I am pretty average (at sports and stuff) - I was never picked first in teams at school or anything like that. I also like the fact that you don't have to enter a race to beat anyone (unless you are elite) - it is all about beating myself, my own time (not 100% true - there are a few other runners that I secretly hope I beat their times - but being competitive is healthy and it drives you more). By the way, I have set a goal that I will run my first marathon in 4 hours or less - and I know I will do it. I won't win the race, but I will beat my own goals.

In terms of how it makes me feel, alot of people may do yoga or meditate to de-stress - for me running does that. I have gotten to the point where my mind just empties when I run - it doesn't matter what is going on, I am just in the moment. It also gave me this crazy determination and drive.

One big perk I find with running and especially when training, your long runs typically on a weekend. So, if you are prone to eat badly on the weekends this totally helps. If you go out and eat really bad food the night before a long run, your long run will suck (for me I did it once and got total stomach cramps). It will be hard, you will be tired, so that greasy burger and fries stops looking as appetizing and really starts looking like a road block). So, as a result, it helps you to keep dedicated to eating right becasue you know if you don't fuel your body correctly you will feel it the next day.

I guess that is my long winded way of saying, maybe register in a run - find a short charity race that raises money for a cause you really care about. And, register in a clinic. Not only will you feel like you aren't alone, you will also learn amazing tips from the clinic coach but you will also learn invaluable tips from speakers they bring in (if the clinic does that).

Getting you to the point of loving it. I love to listen to music. I made a playlist of upbeat songs that I love, that have a good beat (I try to find songs where the beat is about the same as my pace - I find it easier to keep up the pace when running to a beat). I have songs that will pull me through a wall (the craziest one is Rasputin by Bony M). When you get tired, slow down a bit. And, if you find yourself slumping, pretend someone is hovering above you with a string holding your head up. It will be easier to breath.

Good luck to you if you want to keep up running. Honeslty, I wish I would have a youtube to show the day I started - it would have been a before and after if I can do it anyone can do it inspirational clip.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Wow...lots of great replies and great ideas. I think there might be a runner inside of me somewhere...I want to give it a try. I remember when my Dad made me do that run around the block and I HATED it. But that summer I spent a week at the beach with my grandparents and we (the kids) had races on the beach....running in sand is NOT EASY!!! I beat all the boys that year, could run faster than any of them and did that feel good!

I especially like the comments about stronger legs. Despite being in the best shape of my life I still carry any excess weight in my thighs. The gym has changed them and they are way better than they used to be, but I always think of them in a negative way. I know they will always be my least favorite body part but thinking of myself as having STRONG legs is really appealing and might be the push I need to give this a try!

Thanks everyone :)

I was sure I could never be a runner either. Couch to 5k changed my life. I am less likely to underestimate myself like that now.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Everyone has great advice. My added two cents (especially if you are a competitive person) is to remember that you are only competing against yourself. It doesn't matter how fast anyone else can run a mile or a 5K or a half. My goal is to better my own time when I hit the starting line. Also know that there are going to be days when actually running sucks but its always a great feeling once you are done.

I suggest you find a goal race. Maybe an away race. Train for that race using a training plan. Its harder to skip a run when you know you have a race to attend in the future. Then start the race and race against yourself. Enjoy the atmosphere and don't worry about how fast everyone else is going.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    What everyone else said. :)

I didn't like running until I did it outdoors on a track. At first it was just once around, then it was twice around, then it was three times around... it's exciting to create a goal, see the "finish line", and then to cross it. I love topping my last high score.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Deciding to complete a race helped me become motivated to run more. At first I dreaded every day I was supposed to run. I started c25k but found my cardio level and previous running experience made the first 4 weeks boringly easy but that I was struggling with enjoying anything past that. I ended up just repeating week 5 several times and like a light switch I was suddenly enjoying running again.

Once I had a known distance (race) to train for I found the free resources on http://halhigdon.com/ are fantastic. I first followed the training plan for a 5k, then 10k and finally the 15k and the distances almost came easily and my pace improved just by following the plans.

Good luck in your training endeavors.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    P.S My most satisfying achievement wasn't finishing a marathon with thousands of people at a finish line...it was completing my first ever mile without stopping at a dreary industrial estate with no crowds or family waiting...just knowing I did it in 15 minutes, little quicker than walking pace.

I read this and thought "yeah, this guy's a runner."

Everyone is different, but for me, some of the best moments of my life have come while running, usually alone, always outside and never with music. They are different depending on what I'm doing --- it's great pushing myself through a 9th 400M interval at a pace faster than I used to be able to run one, but it's also great running in the mountains near the Appalachian trail during a quiet snow fall.

I also think that the more accustomed to running you get, the easier it is go out and cruise for a few miles, and that's when it's really enjoyable --- your body doing something it's great at, eating up the distance and feeling like you could run forever.

I had the same reaction to that post. Awesome!

For me, it's that point where my body feels like a machine. I run away from all the negative thoughts that I have about my body and suddenly realize that, even though I'm slow in reality, I feel like I am flying. It helps my brain shut off too, which is a huge bonus. I always feel good after a run, even one of those ones where my legs feel like lead-filled burlap sacks the whole time.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner until this summer. I ran my 1st 10K this summer and while it was hard, I did great and am so glad I did it. I only run 1 or 2 times a week now, just to maintain my pace and endurance. Having a good playlist is KEY for me. Also, proper running shoes and running gear. I also have to run first thing in the AM. If I miss my window, no way am I running. I go when it's still dark out.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My key to running is two fold. Part one is a great playlist. I do not love running but some good music can get me pumped up. The second is to run through the pain. It seems like there is a point when your legs want to quit and you think you can't keep going (for me it's usually in the first mile) but if I run through it I feel like I can run forever (maybe this is the endorphins...). And it's a lot easier to push through that "wanting to quit" place if you have some good music to propel you forward.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    C25K. It's the only thing that got me to look forward to running.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Like a number of other posters have said, if you don't like running, don't run. There are so many other things you could do that you may enjoy.

I'm not a runner. I've never liked it and wonder why it's the first thing people turn to when they want to 'get in shape'. If you do something because you think you 'should' do it, it likely won't last. For years I'd try things to get in shape and never stuck to anything until I started lifting. That's not everyone's cup of tea either. My point is find your thing that you enjoy doing. I can't wait to get in the gym and under a bar and get on a competition platform. That's what lights me up and I never feel like I 'should' be doing it and that's what's made it last so long for me.

I like one person's suggestion of weighted hikes. What about sprints? Those are a blast in the woods (be careful of your footing). I don't think of that as running. It's like being a kid again.
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have just started the c25k...it is hard,as I'm not built to be a runner!
    Big boobed with poor joints!
    However, I'm just about to start week 3..... with trepidation!
    But I'm losing weight just by doing it!
    And I've been at a plateau for weeks!
    Yep...just by three thirty minute sessions a week!
    3lbs loss this week...
    I feel less tired and after each session, I actually feel like I've had a good workout!

I am the opposite- I am actually GAINING weight!!! Still love the affects that I feel on my body though. Keep it up!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner. I've never liked it and wonder why it's the first thing people turn to when they want to 'get in shape'.

Actually, for me, it was the very last thing I turned to and it took my 40 years to get that low. Now I kick myself that I didn't get the whole running thing figured out 20 years ago.
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a half marathon with Team in Training. I skipped the whole 5k thing and went straight for it, because I knew I'd need the motivation of a big race, and if I was trying to raise a lot of money and everybody knew, I wouldn't be able to slack off and just not do it. I decided I would run/walk the thing, as I wasn't in good enough shape to try to run the whole way. The group training really helped - it was actually fun to get together once a week and do a long run, and the coaches helped me with my form. I can't say I loved the actual running part, but every time we went a longer distance, I started to get a huge sense of accomplishment.

Doing the race itself was amazing. Fun, mentally hard, painful, all those things. But I did it! And I was SO proud of myself. I never knew I would have the stamina to do that. However, I also realized that it would have hurt a lot less if I was better trained. So I immediately signed up for a second half marathon 8 weeks later. I trained for that one on my own, and I enjoyed it a lot more because I was in a lot better shape. I started to really feel like a runner, like I could do things without so much effort. Awesome!

Then the summer came. It was harder training in the humidity, and I also injured myself. It took a lot of effort to get back to running after the injury, and I just didn't enjoy it in the heat and humidity of summer. Still, I signed up for a 10 mile race at the end of summer, and figured I'd just push through it. But the weather stayed way hotter than expected, and the race conditions were foul. Everyone was drenched with sweat due to the heat. Ugh. I finished the race, but I lost my mojo after that. I did one more 5k, but...meh. I stopped running. That was a year ago.

I've missed running, but I didn't miss the disgustingness of running in the heat and humidity. However, I've been feeling that pull, of wanting to do it again. I miss those early Sunday mornings of being out there on a long run, just me and my headphones. I've missed the sense of achievement, of purpose. I've missed the joy of totally zoning out, pounding the pavement, feeling like your body is running without effort (that's the endorphins!). So, I sat down and really thought about how I can love running again, and I realized that for me, it's a great thing to do in the winter, but it's the summer conditions that get to me (I live in south Florida). So that's what I decided to do - start again every fall, and train all winter for a half marathon or other race in the spring, and then take a break (well, switch to indoor activities, or swimming, or cycling). I decided it doesn't matter if I never improve my time because of this starting and stopping. I want to enjoy myself, and that means not running in summer in Florida, unless I switch to a treadmill inside.

I guess I am saying to just keep trying to find your happy with running. It comes only after a period of effort, but then after that if you find it, you'll probably want to keep finding it again. And if it doesn't look like anyone else's happy, who cares?
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This may not be what you want to hear, but .... I tried to like running for a period of five years. I got so I could do 2-3 km nonstop, and 5km with two 1-minute walk periods. Running always made me feel absolutely exhausted. I did not like the way it made me feel. I could never get comfortable running, and, though I tried to like it, I hated it.

I have decided I would rather hike uphill all day long with a weighted backpack than run for 30 minutes. So, I have stopped running, and I weight myself for hill walks, instead. And I don't mean leisurely hill walks, either. I hustle.

There are alternatives to running, with equal benefits to fitness and bonus calorie burns.

Just a thought.

I feel the same way. I think the most important part of exercising is finding something you really like to do or can tolerate for those that hate exercising. I have always liked being active/exercising when it's something I want to do. I love to hike with my dogs, bike, swim is my all time fav sport, boxing and I like to just walk and walk. If you can learn to love running that's great but don't think that you have to run or love to run to lose and become healthy. I have tried over and over to love or even like running and I just don't (and I like to do little sprint Triathlons now and again so running would really help), but it's just darn hard on my bod, so I walk and do all the other stuff I love and that makes it fun and interesting, which is key, IMO. Good luck
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner. I've never liked it and wonder why it's the first thing people turn to when they want to 'get in shape'.

Actually, for me, it was the very last thing I turned to and it took my 40 years to get that low. Now I kick myself that I didn't get the whole running thing figured out 20 years ago.

It's funny how it takes us time to get to what we really like. To me running has ranked up there with "I should clean my fridge". My daughter loves to run though and is doing her first 5k this month. I'd never discourage anyone from trying it. We all fit a different mould.