2 Months Post ACL Surgery

Options
Hey everyone,

About 2 years ago, I discovered this website and lost a good amount of weight by taking advantage of all the features. I stopped using it after I lost the weight I wanted and from that point on, I was gaining weight slowly.

The last week of May, I completely tore my ACL. I was misdiagnosed for a while and was given a brace that completely constricted my movement. I was told it was my ACL until I saw another doctor in July who did an MRI and was able to help me with all that I needed. I ended up getting ACL reconstruction surgery (Patellar Autograft) on August 5th.

Needless to say, I have gained 23 lbs since my injury. My exercise has been very limited and given the fact that I was misdiagnosed and had the wrong brace, my quad muscle completely shut down after surgery and it took many sessions of electro-rush therapy and days of frustration until I am not able to do some physical therapy. My progress is slowed but its getting better. I just want to change my life around and start losing weight again. I have never been so big in my life and I am frustrated at my image in the mirror. I can't really go on just gaining weight.

Today, I hope to start changing my lifestyle in the way I eat. My exercise remains limited but I hope that dieting alone will help me jump start until I can at least do some cardio.

I hope everyone is progressing with their goals and thanks for reading!

Replies

• muffintop22
    Options
    6 months post ACL (and medial meniscus) surgery over here!

I completely understand what you're going through, I lost weight a while ago then tore my ACL, had surgery (I had a hamstring graft though, not patella) and the weight stacked on and my quad muscle withered away too.

Good luck with your rehab, it hurts but don't give up, it will get easier!

feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • atotal180
    Options
    I feel your pain man! I tore my ACL and MCL in September 27, 2005, during a game. You will make it =^)!!!
  • god1ike
    Options
    Hi,

1 year post ACL recon (&mm)
    9 months post arthroscopically
    on a 12 week waiting list for 2nd arthroscopically

Definately get what you are going through. I used to keep my weight down with running and football, but now have to settle for Cross (Eliptical) and cycling.

Hoping that my next op will give me better range of movement so that I can run again. (think ive given up on the football thing)