5:2 succes stories

Options
Rai007
Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
any succes stories using this diet/method of eating,??
how well have u maintained your weight.

Replies

• Rai007
    Options
    i am really interested in this beacuse i think people will gain all the weight back
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've found it incredibly effective and easy to follow.

Have been doing it for about 14 months both when losing weight and at maintenance. I intend continuing with this way of eating indefinitely. It fits into my lifestyle and training regime very well and I have found a huge difference in my relationship to food and recognising hunger signals as opposed to eating out of greed or habit.

Why do you imagine people "will gain all the weight back"?
    You would have to eat at a calorie surplus to do that.

Have look at the 5:2 groups on here if you are interested in learning about people's actual experience.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Me and my friends ;-)

17kg down since the beginning of May. Never lost weight so 'easily'
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, that you stop. It's a way of life. The weightloss is great, but alot of People also do it for further health reasons and benefits.

Watch these, of you want to know more.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Aj6hRYg4A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DW9Aj6hRYg4A

To maintain you can keep fasting twice weekly and up your cals on normal days. Or you can go to one fast a week. That will give you some extra cals for your normal days.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, that you stop. It's a way of life. The weightloss is great, but alot of People also do it for further health reasons and benefits.

Watch these, of you want to know more.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Aj6hRYg4A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DW9Aj6hRYg4A

To maintain you can keep fasting twice weekly and up your cals on normal days. Or you can go to one fast a week. That will give you some extra cals for your normal days.

^^ This

I lost what I needed to with 5:2 and now maintain my weight very easily with 6:1 and exercise.
  • Rai007
    Options
    okay if i lose weight with 5:2.
    but in maintanence is it important to do 6:1
    i mean i would like to eat normally 7 days a week.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love it. Two days of being strict about calories and most of the week being relaxed about food and enjoying treats, never having to be 'on a diet' again? All good as far as I am concerned. The 'worst' that ever happens me eating this way is I maintain my weight instead of losing at the end of the week and on those weeks I have eaten a hell of a lot on the non-fast days. I intend to change to 6:1 when I reach target (which I should easily manage by xmas), I will eat like this for the rest of my life because it's simple and enjoyable and I hate that grind of constant calorie counting and feeling like I have 'failed' if I have a day where I eat pizza and have drinks or some other indulgence. Been doing it since February and can't recommend it highly enough. *PS. I have hypothyroidism meaning I have a really low metabolism- I haven't been putting on any weight since doing 5:2. Yay!*

People will tell you 'It's a fad!'. It's only a 'fad' if you let it be one, I chose to make it my way of eating and it truly works. Of course it does- you create your calorie deficit through days of very strict calorie restriction. Obviously if you eat ridiculous amounts on your non fast days it won't work but I find I would really have to go mad stuffing my face for that to happen (I am 5ft 6 and 34 years old- I eat between 1600- 2000 on feed days and once in a while I have lots of treats and hit near the 3000 mark). It might not appeal to everyone and that's fine but many, many people love it.

Apart from weight-loss there seems to be a lot of other health benefits. Have a look at the documentary 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer' for more information. That's what inspired me to try it and I couldn't be happier. Good luck! :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

It's totally up to you if you choose to maintain with 5:2 or 6:1 routine. I've tried both and prefer 6:1.
    Same calories over the course of a week but just in a different pattern.

If you want to use 5:2 as a weight loss tool then be aware it is not a way to lose weight quickly. One pound a week is expected. Why not do some research on the web site (www.thefastdiet.co.uk) or buy the book to understand it better?
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am nearing the end of week 36 on 5:2, and as of this morning have lost 70 lbs on it!

I am now just 4 lbs away from my goal, so will soon be starting to think about maintenance using 6:1, with the occasional week of 5:2 to balance out the odd weekend away/holidays etc.

I just wish I'd found 5:2 25 years ago!
  • wingchungym
    Options

Then Perhaps you have missed the point and you see it as a weight loss diet plan...it is not.

Stop typing and sit back, get a cup of tea and put on Dr Mosely's Eat Fast Live longer BBC Horizon documentary (google it).
    Pay attention to the health benefits, which have been evident for many years in many cultures who practice fasting.
    Even if you dont want to do 5:2 it is still wise to occasionally have a break from regularly bombarding your body with food.

Its logical to question what eating normally is.. for millions of years we could only eat when food was available, this is how we evolved its only comparatively recently in our history that we have eaten 3, 4, 5, or even 6 regular meals every day. It's actually more of a surprise that everyone is not fat living the modern lifestyle! :wink:
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am nearing the end of week 36 on 5:2, and as of this morning have lost 70 lbs on it!

I am now just 4 lbs away from my goal, so will soon be starting to think about maintenance using 6:1, with the occasional week of 5:2 to balance out the odd weekend away/holidays etc.

Huge congrats to you twelvesticks, a great commitment and a great success story! :smile:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says intermittent fasting is a lifestyle not a diet.

Whether it's Lean Gains, Eat Stop Eat, 5:2... whatever you follow.

I do it primarily for benefits other than weight loss (which at this stage is a lovely added bonus), such as that I sleep better, I no longer "crave" anything, I'm not ruled by food, I naturally want to eat a lot healthier.

You often hear people saying "oooh they'll put it all back on" just like people think you'll collapse face down into a bag of doughnuts after a fast day. I have never once felt like overeating after a fast day.

I love the "reset" function it seems to have with hunger. I actually really enjoy my fast days and find them quite liberating. I can see myself continuing them even when I hit my goal weight, as I don't see them as a means to an end.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Another success story here. Been doing 5:2 for about 6 months now. I'm getting ready to transition to 6:1 to maintain because all my 'skinny' clothes are getting loose and I don't want to have to buy more! Other health benefits I've had on this were lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar, and lower cholesterol.
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 intermittent fasting since mid may. So far I'm 19.5kg / 3 stone / 42 lbs lighter for it, and that includes a 2 week break for a vacation.

There's nothing in the plan that makes me think it will cause a yo-you effect, and the other health benefits are really helpful too.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms - this is the BBC Horizon documentary which brought it to the attention of many.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ - the official website.
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Loving all these success stories!! I just heard about this for the first time recently, and started it on Monday :) Wish me luck & add me me if you want!
  • gymgirl3590
    Options
    Can someone briefly explain the diet to me? Or "lifestyle change"

Do you not eat or drink anything at all on those two days? I feel physically ill when I have nothing at all so I'm curious if theres some things you can have.

On the other days is it your normal calorie limit? Or is it a little more?

Also, what are a few of the main benefits?

I like the idea of it but I wonder if it would make me miserable those days, and makes me wonder if you can't work out on those days.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Yes Twelvesticks, same here, I wish I'd found it years ago too! This has been the only diet that I've stuck to and the only diet that has given me great results without too much pain. After every diet I've been on for the last thirty odd years I've put the weight back on plus a little bit more. The gist of the plan is for a woman you eat 500 calories on 2 days a week and then "normally" the other five days - simple as that. I set my goals to maintenance, try and stick to that but don't worry if I go over. A man gets 600 calories - so unfair! ;-) Psychologically it's easy as you know you will be eating normally the next day. My diary is open if you want to look.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh and the two days "fast" don't have to be consecutive although some of us on it prefer it that way. Most people I know fast Mondays and Thursdays. Google Michael Mosley - the Fast Diet for more information including the health benefits.
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to learn more! Very interested in starting. :flowerforyou:
  • StunningLegerity
    StunningLegerity Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am interested in looking more into this diet plan. Does this seem to work better for people with a lot of weight to lose (obese) or does it not really make a difference how much you have to lose?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!