Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, that you stop. It's a way of life. The weightloss is great, but alot of People also do it for further health reasons and benefits.

Watch these, of you want to know more.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Aj6hRYg4A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DW9Aj6hRYg4A

To maintain you can keep fasting twice weekly and up your cals on normal days. Or you can go to one fast a week. That will give you some extra cals for your normal days.

Thank you for these links!!
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am interested in looking more into this diet plan. Does this seem to work better for people with a lot of weight to lose (obese) or does it not really make a difference how much you have to lose?

It's not a quick fix but it is sustainable, a pound a week loss is the average weight loss. I only have 27 pounds to lose to get to a healthy BMI, others have had a lot more to lose - see above.
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    I agree with most of the posters here. I wish I had discovered this years ago. I am only 12 weeks in, and have lost 37 pounds - and I do not feel like I am missing out on anything. I believe I could stay with this or 6:1 forever.
  • StunningLegerity
    StunningLegerity Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great lifestyle change! Anyone willing to help me set up some guidelines for creating my own plan, please friend me :-)
  • kiwidrop
    kiwidrop Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 (with an occasional 4:3) for over 7 months. I've lost 50lbs and feel great! My doctor said my blood work is excellent. I'm 5 lbs away from my goal and may go another 10 or 15 lbs for some wiggle room. I plan to do 6:1 once I get to me ideal weight.
  • WEBAyahoo
    Options
    Bump
  • Texasparis
    Texasparis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm really impressed by the losses on 5:2 fast diet/plan and of course inspired. However, I still have a fear factor that I simply won't lose weight? I'm going to an. T get to 119 -120 pounds and then try 5:2. Hoping at worst I'll maintain. I guess I'm fearful it won't work because a friedm did 5:2 and has lost round 28lbs maybe more she was a uk 14 and now is a uk 10 and said the fasts Monday n Thursday and eats anything on non fast days.... I just can't bring myself believe she can eat anything surely she must be reducing food on those bit in fast days?
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    .. I just can't bring myself believe she can eat anything surely she must be reducing food on those bit in fast days?

No you don't reduce food on the non-fast days. It's just maths. Lets say your calorie intake to maintain weight is 2000 a day (which is the figure the National Health Service gives for an average woman). On 2 days you eat 500 calories, so a 1,500 deficit 2x a week - or 3,000 calorie deficit for the week in total. On average someone has to have a 3,500 calorie deficit over a week to lose 1lb of fat so you can see from the above calculation that eating 500 calories, twice a week will give just a smidge under 1lb loss a week.

I'm doing 5:2 as well and I have a lot of weight to lose so I tend to do the 2 days at 500 calories, 3 days at a calorie level to lose 0.5lbs a week (1,800 calories) and the weekend I'm at maintenance levels (2,000). Or if I can't be bothered with that added complication I'll just do a 4:3 instead.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    any succes stories using this diet/method of eating,??
    how well have u maintained your weight.

A colleague has lost a reasonable amount using the approach over the last three or four months.

On the other hand my brother tried it, and found that on his low cal days he couldn't programme meetings in the afternoons as he was so low in energy he wasn't effective and his mood was pretty rough.

I know from my own experience that I suffer the same problem with being too hungry and it affects my ability to relate to people.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    This sounds very interesting and I would really like to give it a try. I'm just wondering if you exercise on the days that you fast? And if you do, how hard do you exercise?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since January, so that's 10 months now. And it's a real way of life, I can see me doing this for ever - I really like how it makes my body feel, some people describe it as pressing the "reset" button.

I've still got 2-3 pounds to go to get to my desired 130 pounds, but my bmi has been under 25 since about February, and my weight hasnt piled back on, even with the weeks Ive been on holidays.

There's 2 very good and supportive 5:2 groups on here - if you're interested in trying it then I strongly recommend you join them.

For those wanting more details - it's 2 days a week at 500 calories (or less) (600 for men). Best plan is to space the 2 days out, but they can be consecutive if that suits you. The other days eat at maintenance, or thereabouts.

Yes you can exercise on fast days - last week I did a running training session for an hour, and went straight to a Scottish dancing class for 2 hours, after a full day of meetings at work. But it can take a while for your body to be so used to fasting, for the first few weeks I'd take it easy.

It's not a quick fix - average losses are about a pound a week. And if you're near a healthy weight then the losses are even slower. But there are other health benefits, though these are harder to measure.
  • Crinksy
    Options
    I started around the end of January and since then I've lost nearly 20kg.

I have been wanting to lose weight since I started, and so have been aware of what I eat every day (not just 'fasting' days), and I am positive that the fasting experience has made me gain a feel for my own appetite and what I need to satiate my hunger, without just eating to feel full.

I'm a couple of kg away from my target weight, and when I reach it I think I'll continue because of the other health benefits. I'll probably loosen up my calorie goals on the non-fasting days to ensure I don't lose more weight than I want.

Overall I would definitely recommend it! I now feel much better and have started to enjoy trying to get fitter - something that always seemed a chore before.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Did 5:2 for 6 weeks after I heard of it to finish my diet to target weight - lost 14 lbs quickly and easily, never felt hungry. 500 calories takes a bit of pre-prep but found I can eat adequately on it and 'hey' its only 2 days a week. I did 2 non-consecutive days so I didn't feel I was missing out on the foods I really like. I now maintain on 6:1 and have been stable for another 6 weeks - I guess I'll do this most of the time now. If I find my weight creeping up at Christmas or on holiday I'll 5:2 again.
  • Texasparis
    Texasparis Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very helpful posts! Thanks! I do have the book and I did watch the documentary...... Certainly going to give it a go but only once I've managed to lose another 6-7 lbs with a strict regime over next few weeks. I admit I didn't really give it long enough only 3 weeks (6 fasts) though I did maintain during time around 120lbs (I'm a shortie so need to be around 106-110lbs mark).
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    I have tried this and found it reasonably successful. I would be following it at the moment if I didn't have so many exams and stuff on. The only thing is, personally, I would not recommend doing two consecutive days of fasting. It has the potential to make you feel quite faint.
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    to read later, thanks
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Have been doing it for about 14 months both when losing weight and at maintenance. I intend continuing with this way of eating indefinitely. It fits into my lifestyle and training regime very well and I have found a huge difference in my relationship to food and recognising hunger signals as opposed to eating out of greed or habit.

This has been my experience. I started about 3 years ago at 147 lbs. I'm 5'7". Now I'm around 129. I have a lot of expensive business clothes and the bottoms (pants and skirts) have been hanging on me. The tailor was a little skeptical at first; he's got clients who yo-yo and he didn't want to take things in, then have me gain the weight back and strain the seams, then let them out again. I've gotten 2 pairs of pants taken in and next week I'm bringing my skirt in. Too bad I lost the weight AFTER I had everything made! I intend to keep this up for life. It works with my lifestyle and still keeps me fed well enough for a pretty demanding (for age 60) exercise routine.
  • hankela
    hankela Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    tag to read later
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started 5:2 in Feb at 10st 1 (63.8kg) and met my initial target of 19lbs within 12 weeks. I cut down to 1 fast day a week, occasionally 2 if it seemed justified, and then to 1 day a fortnight. Since meeting my original goal five months ago, I have lost a further 10lbs and am very stable at between 8st - 8st 2lbs. It's been an expensive time! I frequently exercise on fast days, but if you are exercising in the morning this is no big deal - I wouldn't normally eat before a run anyway. I have run 10k on an empty stomach plenty of times, and often do an hour's cardio on a fast day.

On work days, I split my 500 cals into lunch and dinner, if at home I usually keep busy and wait til dinnertime before I eat. Hunger is not the enemy and I have learned to ignore it, it soon goes away! Peppermint tea keeps me hydrated and comfortable. At first I had some digestive upsets from fasting and some disturbed nights, but don't have any issues now, or for many months.

It is not a diet, it's a way of life which is sustainable and enjoyable.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!