Weight loss and getting pregnant

Options
My husband and I have been trying to have another baby, but we have had no luck for the past 4 months. I decided I was not going to obsess over it, and concentrate on making myself healthier and losing weight. Before I got pregnant the first time (my baby just turned 2) I was 190lbs, I'm 5'9" with a large frame, so I carried it well, the day I went in to have my daughter I weighed 275. 2 days later I left the hospital and I was 200. Then I was diagnosed with PPD and went up to 230-235.
I believe that my weight and being unhealthy aka eating whatever I wanted and not exercising, was the reason I haven't been able to get pregnant.
Anyways so now I am on MFP eating roughly 1300 calories a day and exercising. I have had a ton of family and friends basically tell me I am nuts for trying to lose weight before getting pregnant again. It's really aggravating, and at some points I ask myself the same thing, am I nuts? but then I think the last time I was pregnant I ate everything in site, no matter how unhealthy it was...and now that I know it's not so easy to lose it all next time around I will not be eating like that.

Does anyone have any experience with losing weight and then getting pregnant? Is it easier to lose the weight after wards, or is it the same? I sometimes feel like I might be wasting my time losing weight just to gain it back with being pregnant.
Thoughts?

Replies

• epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I don't know if it makes weight loss after a baby easier, but I don't think you're crazy. There is a group on the Motivation board "Fit for Future Families" that is a group of women trying to lose weight before or while trying to conceive. I've been trying for 10 months to get pregnant for the first time, so I decided a few months ago to obsess about exercise instead of getting pregnant. So far, it hasn't helped the TTC front, but I've lost 4.5 pounds... so it's all good, I guess.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience, personally, but I've been on WW and talked to a lot of people on the boards over there and it's quite common.

You've only been trying for 4 months, so it could just be bad timing or stress. From everything I know, eating healthy, exercising and losing weight to get to a healthy place will help you get pregnant, not hurt.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I only have one child and I think she will always be an only child. But I think its a good idea to try and loose a few lbs inbetween pregnancies if you can. Also being over weight can reduce your chances of concieving. I don't know if you have thought about tracking your cycles etc in order to help you get pregnant, but I belong to a wonderful site, www.fertilityfriend.com It teaches you about tracking your cycles and the best timing to fall pregnnt etc, and it has a wonderful community of girls to help you through your journey. Without the support of the ladies there I probably wouldn't have had my daughter.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of articles where they've linked extra weight with fertility issues. I also know lots of overweight women who haven't had any trouble. That being said, I'm in a similar boat as you, and am focussing on getting healthy instead of obsessing about not conceiving.

Depending on how much you have to take off, I've also heard of many women who continue to eat healthy and exercise throughout their pregnancy and actually continue to take off weight throughout the pregnancy - in a healthy way, nothing that is a danger to the child.

I figure it this way, getting healthy and being stronger and more active is always a move in the right direction.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You are NOT crazy. If anything it will make getting pregnant a little easier. AND.... if you lose it now, you won't have to lose as much after you give birth. I think it's a great idea! The healthier you are the healthier your unborn baby will be too....
  • I know 1 person who lost weight and started working out and then got pregnant. They had a very hard time when they were over weight and then while they were pregnant they continued to work out and eat healthy they just ate more calories a day while they breast feed and while they were pregnant. They only gained 20 during the pregnancy and It was very easy for them to loose the weight afterwards. So I think what your doing will not be a wast of time and good luck to the both of you I will say a little prayer for you and hope the lord gives u another little one. :0)
  • TXmama
    TXmama Posts: 37
    Options
    Absolutely not! You are totally doing the right thing. For one thing, the less you weigh when you get pregnant, the less uncomfortable you'll be as the trimesters progress. AND I have heard (though I don't know, I'm not in the medical field) that there are infertility issues associated with being heavier. I also was determined to lose weight before getting pregnant with my 2nd... I did lose some, not to my goal weight, but I think it helped with the comfort factor as I gained during the pregnancy. GOOD LUCK, but once you get pregnant, NO restrictive dieting -- just healthy eating!
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    You are not crazy. Weight loss isn't just about looking better, it's about feeling better and being healthier. It's about moving better, breathing better and sleeping better. I lost weight before both of my kids. It's harder to push a stroller or chase a toddler pregnant. My son was 2 when I was pregnant with my daughter and I was able to go to parks with him and walks in the mornings. I could easily carry him when he fell asleep.

If you lose weight before getting pregnant you will continue your good habits while pregnant and will lose the weight much faster afterward. I walked, did prenatal pilates, resistance bands and prenatal aqua aerobics while pregnant. That would have been more difficult if I was still carrying the extra weight from my son. After my son it took a year to get back in shape while nursing. After my daughter it took 2 months to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy.
  • darcibean
    Options
    I only have one child and I think she will always be an only child. But I think its a good idea to try and loose a few lbs inbetween pregnancies if you can. Also being over weight can reduce your chances of concieving. I don't know if you have thought about tracking your cycles etc in order to help you get pregnant, but I belong to a wonderful site, www.fertilityfriend.com It teaches you about tracking your cycles and the best timing to fall pregnnt etc, and it has a wonderful community of girls to help you through your journey. Without the support of the ladies there I probably wouldn't have had my daughter.

Thanks, I do charting already along with other things :)

Thanks so much for the encouraging words and thoughts everyone, it's good to know I'm not crazy!
  • DoctorLaura
    DoctorLaura Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One of my primary motivations for losing weight was to be healthy during pregnancy and after. I've kept off 54 lbs for two years and am now pregnant with my first child. So far my pregnancy weight gain is falling within the "normal" range for someone my size (I am still technically overweight) and my overall health is excellent.

I can't say whether it will be easier to lose the baby weight after pregnancy, but I imagine it will be because healthy eating is already a habit for me now.

I think many people have the misperception that when you get pregnant you have to go "off your diet" and all your hard efforts are thrown out the window--THIS IS NOT AT ALL TRUE. Since I became pregnant I eat pretty much how I ate when I was trying to lose weight I just add in a few extra calories at each meal. For example, a pre-pregnancy lunch might have been a 6" sub from subway. Now I might have the same sub but add a glass of milk. You really don't need a ton of extra calories when you're pregant so if you can develop good habits now, there's a better chance you will stick with it during and after pregnancy.

With all that said, of course pregnancy brings with it cravings and aversions and mood swings that can make sticking to a healthy lifestyle difficult, but we're human, and it's ok if we're not perfect every day (I'm not!) But don't let people tell you that pregnancy is something that has to sabotage healthy living--your way of thinking is much better--focus on being healthy now, during, and after your pregnancy. Good luck! (and if you haven't checked out the TTC and Pregnancy boards yet, be sure to--there's many people out there who have been through similar experiences)
  • christina1109
    Options
    Being overweight can inhibit you from getting pregnant. I would keep losing weight. Once you get the weight off and eat healthy and exercise during your pregnancy it'll be easier to lose that weight. It may also keep you from gaining as much weight.

I had gained 25 pounds before getting pregnant with my second child and then gained 50 during my pregnancy.

I also used an ovulation detector to help our chances of getting pregnant. I HIGHLY recommend the Clear Blue Easy Ovulation detector. I got pregnant within 3 weeks of using it.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

I also used an ovulation detector to help our chances of getting pregnant. I HIGHLY recommend the Clear Blue Easy Ovulation detector. I got pregnant within 3 weeks of using it.

These are great but expensive. The cheep disposable stick type ones on ebay (amongst othe places) are just as good and are fraction of the cost.
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    My DR said I would never get pregnant bc of an irregular cycle. When the weight started coming off my cycle became more regular and I got PG after losing 50+ pounds... . I ate everything in site because (after all) I was eating for 2. I gained 80+ pounds. I wouldn't say yes or no that losing weight post-baby is harder or easier. I'm older now and my body is different now (after having my baby). I giggle in places I didn't giggle before, but I digress... It's a long process, every day is a different day. Take it one day at a time, and everything will happen when it's supposed to happen.

GL...
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It seems everyone here has already shared with you that carrying extra weight can cause infertility problems. I also wanted to share that maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle during pregnancy allows for a much less problematic pregnancy and delivery. Fewer occurrences of gestational diabetes, fewer body aches, smoother and shorter delivery just to mention the highlights. and YES losing weight beforehand means you have less weight to lose afterward. Think about the time and energy you have to put into losing 15lbs right now......Now think about the time and energy you would have to put into losing 45lbs. Which would you rather do? Don't allow anyone to discourage you from taking care of yourself. This life long project is an excellent way to focus your energy into worthwhile efforts and provide a nice distraction from your mission of conception.
    Wishing you Blessed Success in both your weight loss endeavors and extending your family.
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!!!!! Ignore your families comments! It is easier to lose weight before pregnancy than after(your busy with new baby)I lost all 60 of my pregnancy pds before I got pregnant with my second. So glad I did, because I gained another 60pds with the second baby. Just think if I hadn't lost those 60pds? I would have been 120pds over weight and very very unhealthy. I can tell you I have heard of at least 2 MFP people who got pregnant while losing weight and they actually kept logging in and tracking their calories.
    Just keep eating healthy, exercise sensibly, drink lots of water! Be positive!
  • maggy1128
    Options
    your not crazy... I was told by my doctor if I wanted to get pregnant I would need to loose weight.. because being overweight for me have cause me to have inrregular periods.. he said if I loose weight.. my period should regulate more.. and I would have a better chance in getting pregnant.. he says that weight does matter.. specially if your having a hard time getting pregnant.. so I'm hoping his right.. so far I lost almost 50 lbs... I want to have a baby so bad... hopefully....one day...good luck to you
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I think you are smart for wanting to get healthy and lose weight before/while getting pregnant. When we were TTC my daughter my WW (weight watcher) leader told me most people get their BFP after losing 10%. Didn't work for us, but I did get pregnant after losing 30 lbs. I too was 275 when I gave birth to my daughter. We then tried for 9 months to get pregnant which ended in a miscarriage. At that point I decided to start losing weight (I was up to 250) while TTC again, i wanted to be a good example for my daughter and have a healthy pregnancy. So I got down to about 190 and last March I got my BFP. That too ended in a miscarriage, but I think losing weight has helped me get pregnant a little easier and has given me something to distract me from the TTC madness.
    The only issue I find with TTC and lose weight is this weird game I play in my head about eating more during the 2 week wait since I think I "might be" and afraid of another miscarriage.
    Best of luck!
  • saleracing
    Options
    I dont' think you are crazy. I am actually doing the same thing. My husband and friends think I am crazy because they feel why not get pregnant and then lose it after... I feel I want to be as healthy as possible before and then hopefully I won't have as much to lose afterwards. Plus if I am eating helathy before I get pregnant then hopefully it won't be as hard to stay on that track while I am pregnant... it's better for me and the baby in the long run. Good luck on getting pregnant- I wish you well.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy. One of the books I read during my pregnancy (I'm another one kid wonder) commented that if you don't loose the baby fat before getting pregnant, you can no longer call it baby fat- its just plain your fat. I tend to agree with that. My Mom had 3 kids in 6 years and didn't loose the combined weight until a few years ago (I'm the baby of that 3 and I'm 25).
  • stephqj
    stephqj Posts: 20
    Options
    The extra weight can contribute to a condition called PCOS, polycystic ovary syndrome. I know from very personal experience. Both of my boys were the result of fertility shots, although we were a much harder-to-treat couple than most PCOS couples. In two more months, if you've still had no luck, go see your doctor. Don't let them to tell you to wait another 6 months. That's total BS. Demand to have the hormonal tests done to see what's happening that may be impacting your efforts.

As far as weight and healthy eating when you're pregnant, the rule of thumb is 2,000 calories when you're carrying. I had gestational diabetes with my second pregnancy and was able to control it with the prescribed diet and medication, no shots. I gained 18 pounds during that pregnancy, compared to 33 during my first.

I'm a big proponent of being aggressive with treating these issues, having spent 18 months of shots and pills to get pregnant the first time. It took one cycle the second time because we cut out all of the crap that didn't work.