Going from 1200 to TDEE - 20%

Options
Hi all,

I know you are all probably sick of seeing these pop up, but I can't find a thread that actually asks what I want! I've made my decision about going from 1200 cals (please don't lecture, I understand the consequences of it etc, hence the change) to TDEE-20%. I've spent a long time looking itno it and working out what is best for me. I know I may expect a bit of a gain for a couple of weeks etc. However, I haven't been able to find how is best to go about it. I know it's different for each person but what are your experiences? Did you just dive head first into it? Did you slowly introduce it?

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Frankii :smile:

Replies

• aprilrunswithmolly
    Options
    Really dumb question, but since I've been wondering - what does TDEE mean?

Thanks!
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    Really dumb question, but since I've been wondering - what does TDEE mean?

Thanks!

It's not dumb, I had to work it out when I first saw it used! Total Daily Energy Expenditure :) Hope that helps!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Are you eating exercise calories now? And what will the new number be?
  • Frankii_x
    Options

I mostly eat back exercise cals (very rarely don't there's usually a reason if I don't). It's going to be about 1900 :) Thanks for any help!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

I mostly eat back exercise cals (very rarely don't there's usually a reason if I don't). It's going to be about 1900 :) Thanks for any help!

So how many calories total are you consuming now? How big a difference is it between the total number of calories you're consume now and the 1900?
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    Great decision! Good luck!!! Remember!!! Skinny looks good in clothes fit girls look good naked! To be fit you will need those calories!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you picked a good goal for yourself on MFP, weekly weight loss wise, and ate the exercise cals back your total cals for the week should be in the range of TDEE-15-25% anyway. If they are lower that TDEE-25% on average most liekly your weekly weight loss goal was too aggressive to begin with.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.
  • krmullig
    krmullig Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just made the decision to go with the TDEE - 20% as well. Dunno if it'll work for me but I'm excited nonetheless. I imagine it'll make maintenance much easier when I'm there! Best of luck and I'm excited to see what people post in this thread. :)
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just made a similar switch- although I was not at 1200 still- I had bumped up a bit.
    However in the last 3 weeks the intensity of my weight training had increased and I was feeling ravenous, and I did not want to get run down or hurt so I listened to my body and was eating more. I weighed in and- bam! down 3 lbs... so I thought it was time to really eat like a human being.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'd up it by 100-200 calories per week until you're at your new goal. If you've been eating back some exercise calories, it likely won't take you that long to get there since the gross calories are higher than 1200. So, if you were grossing 1500 before and you're now going to 1900, you could do 1700 first, and then 1900 the next week, and then you're good to go.
  • Frankii_x
    Options

So how many calories total are you consuming now? How big a difference is it between the total number of calories you're consume now and the 1900?

I eat between 1500-1600 cals a day currently (with exercise cals) so I'll be going up by about 300-400 :)
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Your TDEE includes exercise...so when you do that don't eat back or log any exercise calories. You should be just fine because your current daily intake could be close to that number already. But if it's more I would suggest increase your calories by about 100 calorie increments. Adding a serving of nuts, half an avocado will get you there no problem.
    Hope this helps.
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    If you picked a good goal for yourself on MFP, weekly weight loss wise, and ate the exercise cals back your total cals for the week should be in the range of TDEE-15-25% anyway. If they are lower that TDEE-25% on average most liekly your weekly weight loss goal was too aggressive to begin with.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a TDEE calculator may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.

I understand the theory of 1200 + exercise cals but it is too aggressive, hence the want to change. Thanks for your input though, it'll be useful for others :)
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    I just made the decision to go with the TDEE - 20% as well. Dunno if it'll work for me but I'm excited nonetheless. I imagine it'll make maintenance much easier when I'm there! Best of luck and I'm excited to see what people post in this thread. :)

Good luck! Feel free to add me :)
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    Great decision! Good luck!!! Remember!!! Skinny looks good in clothes fit girls look good naked! To be fit you will need those calories!!!

So true, thank you!
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    I just made a similar switch- although I was not at 1200 still- I had bumped up a bit.
    However in the last 3 weeks the intensity of my weight training had increased and I was feeling ravenous, and I did not want to get run down or hurt so I listened to my body and was eating more. I weighed in and- bam! down 3 lbs... so I thought it was time to really eat like a human being.

Love this! Thanks for proving I'm making the right choice :)
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I slowly went up. 1200 to 1350 for a month, then up to 1450 for a month, etc.
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    I'd up it by 100-200 calories per week until you're at your new goal. If you've been eating back some exercise calories, it likely won't take you that long to get there since the gross calories are higher than 1200. So, if you were grossing 1500 before and you're now going to 1900, you could do 1700 first, and then 1900 the next week, and then you're good to go.

Thanks for your help!
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    Your TDEE includes exercise...so when you do that don't eat back or log any exercise calories. You should be just fine because your current daily intake could be close to that number already. But if it's more I would suggest increase your calories by about 100 calorie increments. Adding a serving of nuts, half an avocado will get you there no problem.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you! I'd love to up it with nuts but my boyfriend is allergic! But great ideas :) I'm about 300-400 below currently and will just log my calories burnt in my notes rather than on the exercises!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I dove right in pretty much. It takes a while of tinkering. Lots of patience required but I feel I am moving the right direction finally. I decided on a daily intake based on a weekly average since I work 4 days a week and that gives me a significantly higher TDEE on those days. I pretty much shoot for 2500 cals a day now and don't sweat it if I'm a few hundred under or over.