NO SUGAR

Options
airica25
airica25 Posts: 50 Member
I am looking for ideas to cut sugar out of my diet. I find that I have high sugar even tho I don't always have treats so it must be in my meals.

Can anyone give me some ideas of some good lunches and dinners with no sugar?

Replies

• SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a lot of fruit that is probably the source of your sugar.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic... not all sugar is bad. As stated, fruit is very high in natural sugars, so it could be a culprit.... But I don't think cutting that out of the diet is the best idea.

It's more about balance than elimination of key food groups.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't BAD! You need it! Low blood sugar = decreased energy levels. It's like people saying fat is bad! Your body needs that! Calories are fuel not foe. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    In for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar! And aspartame and carbs since I know this thread is heading for a derailing.

ALL ABOARD!
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with sugar in moderation - then just use raw cane sugar nothing processed. Fruit juices from concentrate are basically sugar water and all processed food have too much of it and if it is corn syrup then that is definitely bad for you. Molassess,or honey are good . do not have any diet drinks with aspartemine or other sweeteners they will ruin your system. I have porridge with some honey / raw cane sugar. All foods which are real foods not processed are good - especially the potato or rice
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't a big deal. As long as you are meeting your calorie goal you don't need to cut sugar, especially if it is coming from natural sources like fruit, vegetables, and milk. Besides, carbs and starches break down into glucose just like table sugar, and it all has pretty much the same effect on your body. Unless you have specific medical problems that require you to restrict your diet, you don't need to worry too much.
  • airica25
    Options
    maybe I should say low sugar. My sugar reports are around 75-100 and it is supposed to be around the 28. So... I thought I could really cut back.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food diary, it's hard to say. Are you tracking your sugar? If so, you can see where it's coming from and cut out the worst culprits.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    In for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar! And aspartame and carbs since I know this thread is heading for a derailing.

ALL ABOARD!

^^yup
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

ALL ABOARD!

Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe. it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Mental wounds not healing
    Life's a bitter shame
    I'm goin' off the rails on a crazy train
    I'm goin' off the rails on a crazy train
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    See MireyGal76....nuff said!
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic... not all sugar is bad. As stated, fruit is very high in natural sugars, so it could be a culprit.... But I don't think cutting that out of the diet is the best idea.

It's more about balance than elimination of key food groups.

QFT. This is all you need to know.

I'm ALWAYS over on my Sugar. I eat a lot of fruit. Plus put a bit of sugar in my coffee. Solution? Change the display on my macros so that Sugar is no longer displayed. Problem solved!
  • airica25
    Options
    Thanks for all your kind words and recipes! I really appreciate the help in this Journey!
    My dad cut down on sugar and he lost 30 pounds and he did it for health reasons as well as I am.
    I thought maybe this was a good place to come to get recipes since the title is Recipes.
    Thanks again!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't even track sugar. Unless you medically need to watch your sugar intake, don't worry about it. Just stay at a reasonable calorie deficit.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your kind words and recipes! I really appreciate the help in this Journey!
    My dad cut down on sugar and he lost 30 pounds and he did it for health reasons as well as I am.
    I thought maybe this was a good place to come to get recipes since the title is Recipes.
    Thanks again!

Honestly, unless you are eating an all-protein meal, I can't honestly think of a recipe that has "no sugar".
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Thanks again!

It could be that he lost the 30 pounds because by cutting down his sugar, he reduced his calories so that he was in a deficit.

I am over in my sugars before my morning snack is done... MFP is notorious for way underestimating 'daily sugar allowance' and it doesn't discriminate between natural occurring sugars and those that are added in... i.e. fructose, glucose, etc.)

To lose weight, you need to be at a calorie deficit. It really is that simple.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Thanks again!

It could be that he lost the 30 pounds because by cutting down his sugar, he reduced his calories so that he was in a deficit.

I am over in my sugars before my morning snack is done... MFP is notorious for way underestimating 'daily sugar allowance' and it doesn't discriminate between natural occurring sugars and those that are added in... i.e. fructose, glucose, etc.)

To lose weight, you need to be at a calorie deficit. It really is that simple.

QFT!!! I never tracked a gram of sugar and lost over 300 lbs, and I am a Type 2 Diabetic, I ate at a caloric deficit, watched my Carbs, Proteins, and Fats and ate a balanced diet with some discretionary food items thrown in.. I mean who wants to live without Ice cream and Pizza and beer lol..... Best of Luck OP
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think enough people have said that you don't need to drastically cut your sugars, but if you are looking to cut down the hidden sugars that are in many foods be sure to check labels as sometimes foods that you wouldn't think had a lot of sugar in them do. I agree that you shouldn't track sugar on MFP because it doesn't factor in the healthier sugars from fruit and things like that which we do need. Try to eat more fresh clean foods and watch your sauces and you will be better off.
  • crwatson90
    crwatson90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm finding the same thing. I do eat a good amount of fruit but on days that I eat a flavored greek yogurt or packaged oatmeal I generally am over my sugar by around 60-70g. I've switched to plain yogurt and oatmeal with a little honey and fruit. Good luck!
  • denfrank
    denfrank Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Derailing:

It wouldn't surprise me if
    1) we got it all wrong with low-fat obessions in the 90's, and,
    2) it is the new cigarettes, i.e the addictive component.

Disclaimer: working on 6th grade science project with my daughter on sugar.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/02/11437/societal-control-sugar-essential-ease-public-health-burden

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/sugar/cohen-text