New to running and need shoes

Options
I am new to running and would like to go get a new pair of running shoes. Any suggestions on the best place to go to be fitted for a pair? ****s Sporting goods? Footlocker?

Replies

• samolai
    samolai Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just went to my local DSW and tried on every different type. I don't really have an arch to my foot, and I need a bit of extra ankle support, so I needed to try them each on and really take my time and walk around in them. That's my recommendation! Good luck!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Go to an actual running store. Some where like Fleet Feet, or the similar. ****'s Sporting Goods is kind of hit or miss, sometimes they have people who know what they are doing, but most of the time they don't. The best part about going to a good running store is that they will usually have a 30 day return policy, no matter how dirty you get the shoes and will even let you do a short run down the side walk or around their stores to make sure they work for you. But if they don't, you can bring them back before 30 days.

And the running store is good for your networking for races, running groups, etc...
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I am new to running and would like to go get a new pair of running shoes. Any suggestions on the best place to go to be fitted for a pair? ****s Sporting goods? Footlocker?

a running store is better than a sporting goods store. a good running store will fit you with the right shoe for you.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a good running store!!

You need to have someone who "knows" *kitten* your gait and suggest the right shoes, this is not a place to cheap out in the beginning.
  • jphoto801
    Options
    Running Room or similar stores will serve you faaaar better than Footlocker-type places. The shoes available will have some crossover, but the staff will be very different and will be more invested in helping you be comfortable and avoid injury.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    like many have said.. Go to an actual running store, foot locker and the type are hit or miss. More often than not you'll just get someone "that works there" and is very unaware of their products and what you need.

go at least once to get a professional fitting and then you can find what you need cheaper if need be.

Oh and get at least 1/2 to 1 size bigger to give your feet room when they swell and from the impact.. it'll prevent the black nail and other problems.