UK motorbike riders

Options
cingle87
cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
Im finally looking into getting my first set of wheels in the next year or so but before then i want to do a bit of research into cost and what not.

1) how much did it cost you for the CBT, lesson and test? Am I looking at 500 quid or closer to a grand?
2) Can you rent learner bikes? I dont want to buy a 125cc just so I can learn and take my test on.
3) Running cost, how much a year does it typical cost you to run, tax, fuel, insurance? I know the insurance one going to vary most but a rough indication would be great :D

FYI im 26 male if that helps with running cost side

Thanks In advance.

Replies

• BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I can help a little. My CBT cost me about £200 (7 years ago) if memory serves. I already owned the bike so I was ahead of the game on that point. I did rent a bike for my final test, just because a Virago 125 has a long wheelbase so is a bit cumbersome in tight places.

My insurance cost about £120 a year, tax disc is £15, and petrol was about £7 - £8 to fill the tank every 2 weeks. My mileage was on the low side so it was incredibly inexpensive to run.

My bike is on the old side so did become a bit expensive to run, but not terribly bad. I paid £320 to replace the exhaust system last year so it would pass its MOT. The bike is a 1996 model.

It failed the MOT again this year due to a major electrical problem. :sad: Time for a new bike I think.

Have fun and stay safe.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I passed my test in 1977 (!!!) when it was all nice and simple....

This might give you some guidance - http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/newrider/
    There's an insurance comparison part to that site as well.

My tips would be:
    Start with an old bike but good riding kit.
    Never economise on tyres.
    Never stop training and learning - I've had the privilege of racing and training with some amazing riders and the biggest performance and safety upgrade you can do is to improve the rider.

Have fun.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I paid £120 for my CBT a few weeks ago, using a bike from ProScot training centre. My first bike is a Honda CBR125 R, insurance £148 for the first year but sure to come down every year as long as there are no claims. Tank on the bike is tiny so tenner fills it and seems to go forever. I was told £480 for direct access/test (on one of their 600cc bikes so I'm not limited to 125cc forever). I know our local bike shop rents out bikes, including 125cc, but you would at least need your CBT. Insurance cost etc will vary because I'm 42 and female :wink: and I'm lucky that my other half is a bike mechanic. I got a tip to read Motorcycle Roadcraft, The Police Rider's Handbook, and it's helping me think like a biker rather than a car driver!!! Good luck!