Just got my wisdom teeth out...what do I eat?!

Options
I just recently got started on here, and I've honestly been so proud of myself thus far. But today I got my wisdom teeth out, and can only eat soft foods. Most of the food that my girl friend got me are low in calories (she knows I'm on here and wanted to support me) but they are high in sugar (pudding, frozen yogurt, etc.) I don't want my body to go into starvation mode and I also don't want to eat too much sugar, as that has NEVER been an issue of mine. Any advice?!?!

Also, that Nitrous oxide...WHOA. What a ride! =P

Replies

• shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I got my wisdom teeth out (all 4 at once) I lived on Shepherds pie for the first few days. I made it myself before my appt, and made it with extra gravy.

So my suggestion would be - ground meat with lots of gravy, mashed potatoes or cauliflower, and other veggies that can be cut small enough that you don't have to chew, or can be mashed.

or soup...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You won't go into starvation mode .......not after a few days ....more like a month+

Anyway .....if you are taking pain killers ........eat something substantial like greek yogurt (with protien AND fat). If you take pain killers on an empty stomach ..... they will make you nauseous

Soup is good.
  • jphoto801
    Options
    Once a day you could take care of your fruit serving with a smoothie. Have a blender? :D Bananas, blueberries, strawberries, a little peanut butter, milk, a dash of vanilla, etc.

I'd add a little protein powder if I was a bit low for that day. Not really required.
  • Baba_Roxy
    Baba_Roxy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Once a day you could take care of your fruit serving with a smoothie. Have a blender? :D Bananas, blueberries, strawberries, a little peanut butter, milk, a dash of vanilla, etc.

I'd add a little protein powder if I was a bit low for that day. Not really required.

Mmmm!!! Sounds yummy! I'll definitely give this a try! =]
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I agree on the smoothie part. I've been having a pumpkin smoothie, which nets me a fruit and a vegetable:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-smoothie

Tastes really good even without the honey (which I left out because I forgot to buy honey, lol). (:
  • jphoto801
    Options
    I agree on the smoothie part. I've been having a pumpkin smoothie, which nets me a fruit and a vegetable:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie-smoothie

Tastes really good even without the honey (which I left out because I forgot to buy honey, lol). (:

I am so making a pumpkin smoothie this weekend. I've never even thought of that.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    ICE CREAM!!!!!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs ( or over easy I suppose but I don't like them that way)

mac and cheese

you might want ot watch fruit with little seeds like most berries, so the seeds don't get stuck in the healing gums. or at least rinse well with salt water after

mashed potatos
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    SUGAR FREE JELLO. 10 calories per serving.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How about smoothies? Greek yogurt, frozen fruit, maybe some protein powder.
    Oatmeal
    Applesauce
    Soup
    Yogurt
  • Baba_Roxy
    Baba_Roxy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    These are all so great! I forgot to mention I have celiac disease, so no gluten, but most of these are gluten free anyway! Surprisingly, I feel fine minus my puffy cheeks so I have some shopping to do. =] You're all awesome!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Whatever you can.

Getting those taken out sux.

While other's suggestions of smoothies are great - remember- no sucking through a straw.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Headingforhealthier
    Options
    I ate scrambled eggs and oatmeal a lot :)
  • HPB2
    HPB2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No rice! Learned that the hard way!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodle soup is soft and pretty much requires no chewing. Not the healthiest option out there, and pretty high in sodium, but it's only for a few days, and as long as you're drinking plenty of water, you should be fine.

Also, protein and/or meal replacement shakes are an easy route to take--no chewing at all!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I had all four pulled at once. I developed a hematoma on the inside of my left jaw muscle and could only eat puréed food for about a week.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    OOOH Smoothies! I have one everyday! Blueberries, grapes, banana, protein powder and Ice - blend, blend, blend.
    Will go down so easy and so yummy.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are eating you will not go into starvation mode.

Also, as long as the soft foods that you are eating keep you in a calorie deficit, you will not gain weight, even if they are high in sugar..

you might get a little water retention/bloat but it will go away in about two days...

You could also make some protein shakes - two scoops protein powder, strawberries, and peanut butter...that is healthy, somewhat filling, and good..
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    ICE CREAM!!!!!

WOOOOOOH!!!

Ice cream all day!
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    While other's suggestions of smoothies are great - remember- no sucking through a straw.

Dry sockets are terrible....definately no straws!