Things you thought when you were overweight

Options
VelvetMorning
VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
When I was younger I was a pretty heavy kid. I used to convince myself that I wasn't REALLY all that big; each of my breasts had to weigh 10-15 pounds, my hair a good 5 pounds and by the time all of my jewelry was on that made up for the rest of it! What are some ridiculous things you've thought to yourself to justify your weight?

Replies

• lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used to think I carried the extra weight well - then I got a gift of a family photo put onto canvas and realised no, no you really don't!!

Oh and the usual - I will start dieting next monday, month, after this occasion etc etc
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    the breasts weighing a bunch as well. i mean i never thought i looked as big as i was until i moved into a place with a mirror on my closet. sitting in bed and looking at that mirror and all my circumference made me sick. now im changing that.
  • wilddavid
    wilddavid Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to tell myself "Muscle weighs more than fat".... its amazing how we somehow just accept our new reality and develop a blind spot to the mirror though... until one day we actually open our eyes and go "Oh ****..."
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I actually never thought I was overweight (even though I had reached a point that I was 205 lbs at 5'5") until I started losing weight. I only began trying to lose weight because I physically felt unhealthy, not mentally. I was never insecure or anything of the sort, I genuinely thought my body was fine. Looking back at old photos really makes me cringe.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    In the words of Bridget Jones and Renee Zellweger's fake british accent: I will always be just a little bit fat!
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I didnt think i was as fat until I lost 20lbs and took before and after pics and was like DAYUM. I still think I'm fat. I have been overweight pretty much my entire life but I carry around a decent amount of muscle which for a long time was covered with extra fat.

I was just in denial about my being overweight. I see the light now. I still have about 20ish more pounds to go.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I thought my metabolism had slowed way down, and I had a decent amount of lean body mass, anyway. Then I lost 40 lbs, and later found out that my metabolism did, in fact, slow way down, and I did, in fact, have a decent amount of lean body mass.

O_o
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    "I'll start dieting tomorrow"
  • Sesaza
    Sesaza Posts: 49
    Options
    10-15lb breasts?

Going to need pics to confirm
  • beepermad
    beepermad Posts: 198
    Options
    My body always looks the same to me within a 30 pound gap. It's only when I see pictures of myself when I'm like, "Oh, I'm really skinny/chubby right now. ****."

Also, how my clothes fit. Only two indicators.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I thought I needed to lose about 5 or 10 lbs. I had no idea that at 5'11" a 39" belly was actually fat.

In reality I've probably lost 35 to 40 lbs of fat but it's hard to quantify since I started lifting right away.

I remember all the excuses and I remember not wanting it bad enough and not caring enough.

I also remember thinking I knew what I was doing when in reality I was completely clueless.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I never justified it. I saw exactly what I did and hated looking at it.
  • mdelrealzepeda
    Options
    "It's Wednesday already...Can't start until Monday, new week."
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Told myself if I'm under 200 lbs I'm ok and told me friends to shoot me if I got that big
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I knew I was that big and avoided being in public whenever possible out of shame.
  • chubalina
    chubalina Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh wow these pants feel tighter, they must have shrunk in the wash lol
  • Corragan
    Options
    I'm not fat, I just like wearing short sleeve hoodies in summer!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I thought as long as I could walk up the stairs I wasn't that fat. That I was fat because of genetics. I had a lot of muscle under the fat (turned out not as much as I thought) and my favorite, "I'm big but at least I'm not as big as ______"
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    "I'm not THAT overweight". This was my biggest lie to myself. Even after 55 lbs lost (no my ticker doesn't reflect my goal weight), I am still far from the goal and yet I still get that "oh I'm not THAT fat".
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I convinced myself that the clothes I'd had for years and washed a hundred times were suddenly shrinking up in the dryer... actually started hanging all my clothes to drip-dry in the bathroom after every wash and would only run the washing machine late at night when I figured the cold water cycle would actually be cold.

ETA another one: I used to photoshop pictures of myself because "the camera adds pounds." OK, I'm a pretty experienced photographer, I know better than that. But the pictures were of course the wrong angle, badly lit, foreshortened... for a while I became mildly obsessive about learning to pose well. I think I even did the "broken doll" pose once or twice, which looks pretty strange on an overweight gal in her 40s....