Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hi, awesome successful people!! I gotta question..

13»

Replies

• ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Recognizing that motivation had absolutely nothing to do with it. The solution is discipline. Motivation comes and goes. If you're motivated, you don't need any help... but when you're not motivated, no amount of witty sayings and encouragement will motivate you.

You have to have the discipline to do what needs to be done even when you don't want to do it. All the time.

I like this...
  • kathyrazz
    kathyrazz Posts: 52 Member
    For the food part just keep on trying to find something that works for you. There's fantastic advice all over this forum for weight loss, but even though I tried to incorporate that good advice in my diet, nothing was working for me. I *finally* found a system I can a) stick with and b) see some results from, but honestly it's taken me a year to get to this point.

Definitely set yourself up to get lots of exercise. I do some on my own now, and have joined a gym and organized with a friend to meet me there several days a week for either weight training sessions or cardio classes. Just helps keep me that little bit more committed to doing the exercise.

Good luck!
  • For me, I do the best when I take time to enjoy cooking. The days and weeks that I get interested in looking up and making healthy meals. Have friends over for healthy dinners, make it a group effort. It's tough to do it alone so having friends who are going to support you (and make your cheat nights more memorable) will provide you inspiration, even on your down days.

I really like skinnytaste.com and sarahfit on youtube
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    bump for later reading
  • _nicole_jane
    _nicole_jane Posts: 17 Member
    Bumping for later. Thanks!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    1. Turning motivation into habit and realizing this is a commitment not an interest. Also to not rely on the scale and to focus more on the tape measure.
    2. Started at 1600 calories a day, moved to 1400 now at 1200.
    3. Circuit training workouts work best for me. Something that gives cardio, strength and abs all in one. I find my inches just fall off with it.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    1) Committing--not waiting for motivation to come (it's not a dog, it won't come when called).

2) Planning when I can. Having dinner and other meals set up makes it so much easier to follow through on actually making that food and eating it--instead of saying, "eh, I'm just going to eat out tonight." Especially after a long day of teaching and meeting with students, having dinner on standby prevented lots of extra calories.

3) Doing some kind of activity every day. Some days are more intense, others aren't. Either way, I move!

4) Dealing with my inner demons (which also takes commitment and practice). Not eating my feelings, not eating food when it's there, not eating until I am fit to burst (which allows me to eat whatever I want to at a restaurant, because my body doesn't need the whole plate of food).
  • Consistency! Getting into a routine of making the right choices made such a huge difference for me.

And I really love the 80/20 rule as far as food goes. 80% as healthy as I can possibly afford/make it, and 20% treats. Keeps me from feeling deprived.
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Have some low calorie go-to foods when you've just got to munch on something. For example, for times like getting home from work (already hungry) and making dinner, I now snack on carrots, celery, mini-peppers, etc., instead of crackers, chips, and cheese. I log the raw veggies I eat, but the damage is minimal compared to the calorie, carb, fat, and sodium filled junk I'd turn to before.

And exercise--I like what some other folks have said above. Just get doing something you can stick with. But over time as your body adjusts to it you'll have to increase the effort or switch up what you're doing in some other way. I found that weight came off fastest after switching my routine to something more intense, like using HIIT (high intensity interval training) for cardio, a boot camp class, adding a long, fast paced walk on my strength days, etc.

Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!