Rowing machine technique - help please!

Options
I enjoy using the rowing machine for warm-up purposes when I'm at the gym, far more than any other cardio equipment (Treadmill? There's no way I'm walking/jogging inside when I could do the same in the fresh air!). I'd quite like to build up this portion of my workout to get more benefit from it, but I find that the straps holding my feet in come loose very easily, and I have to stop to fix them every 40 seconds or so, which is a) annoying and b) not particularly efficient. Is there a way of fixing this problem? Am I using the wrong technique (push back with legs, then pull with arms), or is there an easy fix to keep the straps in place? Do I need to alter the height of the foot plates? At a bit of a loss!

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    they always loosen - i just tolerate it.

i find it is better if i'm in flats (e.g. plimsoles) rather than running shoes.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Ask gym management to get better straps for the rowing machine. Mine (Concept2) never loosen during a workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ask gym management to get better straps for the rowing machine. Mine (Concept2) never loosen during a workout.

^^^ Agree!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Even Concept 2's loosen when worn.

New straps/another machine.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My gym is all concept 2 - straps loossen.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfdYlXqBI

Form is very important on the rowing machine -lots of people at the gym just slide around and yank on the handle - check out this video
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    So 3 easy options:
    1) If the straps are worn out - footstrap replacements are ~$2.
    2) It's possible to row without straps at all, and some people like doing that. Modify form.
    3) Bring the strap back up through the fastener for a double-loop.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfdYlXqBI

Form is very important on the rowing machine -lots of people at the gym just slide around and yank on the handle - check out this video

Thanks for that video. Any insight on where you set the resistance? I've always done it at 10, but all the videos seem to have it at 3 to 5. I just assumed 10 was the toughest and no one has told me otherwise. Thanks
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My gym is all concept 2 - straps loossen.
    Remember there are different types as Concept 2's have been around for ages - webbing ones loosen but the rubber clip over ones can't (they can break though, cue embarrassing fall off the seat....)
  • jenhowse1
    Options
    If form is good there is no need to use straps at all, unless you are going all out - I'd suggest you get technique right before you try to go flat out. THe video is quite good guide to technique.

My Concept 2 has no problems with the straps loosening too much - check they have been threaded through properly - people sometime pull them out then don't put them back in right.

THe lever setting for the resistance is not consistent from machine to machine - it depend whether the gym ever bothers to clean the machine. All the resistance lever does is change the amount of air that comes through the fan. You need to go in to the menu and find drag setting - row and see what number it says. YOu probably want it between 120-140 but thats a personal preference. I find that some old and dirty machines the lever needs to be up at 10 to get that but on a new clean machine its probably more like 4 on the lever.

THe higher setting are more like rowing a big heavy boat and the lower ones more like rowing a light racing single scull. Ones not 'harder' or 'better' than another. How fast you go depend on how much work you put in rather than the resistance on its own - its down to personal preference. GB rowing trials for heavy weight men are done at a drag factor of 140 and women at 130 as far as I can remember
  • jenhowse1
    Options
    And for foot setting height you want to adjust it so that your shins are vertical when you are at the catch - thats when you are at the front of the slide with your knees bent and about to start pushing away from the footplate. (Hope that makes sense!)
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Onmyway21
    Onmyway21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If your straps are coming loose you're probably hooking your toes. Rowing with your feet out of the foot stretchers for a bit on every row will help. The biggest thing is to remember to keep your toes pointed towards the flywheel on the drive. Here's a video that explains what I'm talking about: http://vimeo.com/m/42237141. Try that and see if it works. Let me know!
    Sarah
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    if this is a concept2, they suggest setting the damper on 3-5 for weight loss. focus more on watts and don't let the SPM (strokes per minute) get super high (keep around 22-27). i had a friend who got rid of her rower because she said it never did anything for her. i suspect she wasn't pulling hard enough.
  • Daerina8
    Daerina8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    if concept2, you want to do these 3 steps:
    1. push with legs and make sure you are pushing and not just sliding back, it's very easy to just let inertia do the work
    2. LEAN back, this will work out your abs but make sure your back is straight or you could injure your back
    3. bring your arms in so the pull bar is at your chest.

And then you want to do the exact opposite, in that order; arms out straight, lean forward, bend legs. If you keep your back straight and do the three steps separate (it's very easy to slip and start doing them at the same time) you are less likely to injure yourself and will get a better workout, and a better read on your results.

Also, try not to do it too quickly, it will be more effective if you do 15-20 reps per minute with a better split (i.e. 1:90/500m) than to do 30-40 reps per minute with a worse split, and you will be more likely to keep a good form.

As for the foot straps, try buying some kind of heavy duty clip, one that won't break or slip and clip it onto the excess strap just after the part that loops through, it should keep it from loosening.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for these very helpful replies! I shall try a multi-pronged approach - ask the gym to replace the straps, check form (thanks for the videos!) and, if all else fails, find a clip to hold the strap in place. The rowers seem to be the 'poor cousin' in the equipment stakes (people don't seem to use them as much as ellipticals/treadmills etc, for some reason), so get updated and maintained less frequently than more popular equipment.