Things you thought when you were overweight

Options

Replies

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    people always convinced me i looked great and plump and my face would look bad if i lost weight! so i took that as a reason and also, who had time to workout! funny how now with full time job and a toddler at home, i make time to workout!
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I carry it well. I really don't look like I weigh that much. Yea, then I saw a picture of myself...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I was lighter by my then-husband by at least 40-50 lb, sometimes more. I told myself he wasn't grossly fat to me..so I wasn't, either.

I wore 20-22 for many years then gradually started buying 22-24 and thought it was because I simply liked my clothing loose.

When I bought a 3X or 26/28, I told myself the same. Although to be fair, most of the 26/28 (just shirts) I owned were always too big, but I hated ANY clingy-ness especially in tops at Lane Bryant.

More recently, when I went from my all-time high of 308 lb in 2008 to the 260-270 range, I believed I was "done" losing weight. I was eating better foods and exercising much more...so I believed that I was back to my body's happy weight and didn't need to lose more. I was actually quite proud. And yes, I should have been proud for losing 40+ lb even then, yes. I have been around 260-270 for most of my adult life and did not even really entertain the notion that I could get to my current weight (218) or lower.

I told myself that getting to 227 lb (my previous low adult weight) was the result of a bad time in my life. Which is true, and I did have some weird OCD-type behaviors and did not lose weight healthy way that time because I just did not eat enough food at all, and drank Diet Pepsi constantly. But that definitely did not mean it was "too low" of a weight for me LOL!!!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    sorry for double posting!!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I didn't make excuses. I removed all full length mirrors and tried not to look at photos.
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    My body always looks the same to me within a 30 pound gap. It's only when I see pictures of myself when I'm like, "Oh, I'm really skinny/chubby right now. ****."

Also, how my clothes fit. Only two indicators.

I can relate to this.

Also, I weirdly look thinner/better on camera than in photos. So I'd see a couple of still photographs and be horrified but then watch a video where I looked exactly as I thought I looked, and was happy with myself. Strange strange.
  • Getawayfromthecake
    Getawayfromthecake Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    'I've always been big, I always will be big'
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    "I'll start dieting tomorrow"

This. And, I always thought my husband should love me for who I am.. When i wanted him to make changes in his life and didn't want to make any changes myself.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    i kept falling back on the fact that I had lost about 40 lbs previously. My highest weight was my college graduation day in 2002, I weighed about 210 lbs at 5'4. I got down to 160/165 in the year or two following and stayed there for about 8 years.

This past summer I had enough. I was the maid of honor in my sister's wedding this past June and I definitely was the fattest bridesmaid! Pictures are definitely motivating!

But aside from brushing off the extra weight I still had to lose, I kept congratulating myself on how far I'd come. And also things like "you're big boned!" and "you carry it well!" or "it's all in the boobs!"
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Biggest one was "this is just how I am, there's nothing I can do about it."
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I used to think...... 'wow. I have a really tiny head'.

I actually thought my head was too small for my body instead of the other way around.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I thought I carried my weight well because I was a big guy. 300lbs but tall, big wrists, big feet, big hands.

Turns out, I really didn't carry my weight well. No one carries 300lbs well. After losing almost 100lbs, suddenly my wrists, hands and feet all shrunk considerably. Turns out I'm not some huge freak of nature, I'm actually in the normal range for my height. I was just fat. Really fat. After losing all this weight I'm still fairly flabby which is incredible to me. How fat do you have to be to lose almost 100lbs and STILL be (somewhat) fat? It's mind-boggling to me how I had made a lifetime of odd excuses to myself.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I was raised by my aunt who was about 450 pounds. All of my family members were big and I was at the smaller end so I guess it just never crossed my mind that I was overweight even though the doctor told me otherwise. I watched my aunt become housebound and tethered to her oxygen tank in the last years of her life and then I watched her die in the hospital. We had to pay extra to have her transported on a special truck to a cremation facility that could handle someone of her size.

When I saw a picture of her at my (then) age and she was the same size as me that was my wakeup call. I lost 50 pounds and kept it off until I got pregnant again (I must've looked good! :laugh: ) I still only gained about 20 pounds but I still had weight to lose so here I am.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I never justified it. I saw exactly what I did and hated looking at it.

Yes. Me too. I realized after a time that I had no full length mirrors in the house.

I used to have them everywhere.

I put them up.....and I was forced to see what I had done everyday, every time I went by.

Couldn't ignore it anymore.
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    I thought I carried my weight well because I was a big guy. 300lbs but tall, big wrists, big feet, big hands.

Turns out, I really didn't carry my weight well. No one carries 300lbs well. After losing almost 100lbs, suddenly my wrists, hands and feet all shrunk considerably. Turns out I'm not some huge freak of nature, I'm actually in the normal range for my height. I was just fat. Really fat. After losing all this weight I'm still fairly flabby which is incredible to me. How fat do you have to be to lose almost 100lbs and STILL be (somewhat) fat? It's mind-boggling to me how I had made a lifetime of odd excuses to myself.

This is me....it took until way over 300 for me to figure out I didn't carry anything well!! I still have a long way to go, so I am still fat!
  • Dunsirn
    Dunsirn Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    "Mmmmmm yum, om nom nom nom!!!"
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to think I carried the extra weight well - then I got a gift of a family photo put onto canvas and realised no, no you really don't!!

Oh and the usual - I will start dieting next monday, month, after this occasion etc etc

same here!
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    "I just had a baby."

Never mind that they not babies anymore.

"I am too busy."

---> I still like this one though and use it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I did everything I could to not think about it. I ignored it until I didn't have clothes that fit for work anymore, multiple times.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I thought I was a special snowflake who couldn't lose weight, no matter how hard I tried, and that what works for everyone else just doesn't work for me. I was wrong.:happy: