spaghetti squash

Options
I have heard two things things about spaghetti squash.
1) It's good but "if you go into it thinking it will taste like spaghetti, You'll be disappointed. It's not as good as the real deal".
2) It's so good you'll never want actual spaghetti again.

So....Which is it? Lol. Ive debated trying it for a while now. But just not sure its worth it. Is it lower in calories? Or is it just a carb factor? Because honestly im not afraid of carbs. haha.

Replies

• annaowen67
    Options
    It really has nothing to do with pasta or spaghetti. It's called that because when it's cooked it's flesh comes out in ribbons resembling spagetti.

I really like acorn or zucchini so I've never tried spaghetti squash. I'm sure there are a lot of great recipies if you look online for them.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it quite a bit... It is a great alternative to spaghetti. It does NOT taste the same and I do notice a difference. But that being said it still tastes pretty good. I enjoy it most with tomato based pasta sauces, i found it tasted funky with alfredo, but play around with it, its much more diet friendly than spaghetti
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I never understood the whole "it's just like spaghetti" thing! It's a squash, and if you put sauce on it, it's a squash with sauce on it! I do love spagetti squash, but I would rather just put a little butter and pepper, or lemon pepper, or other spices on it.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    It's good. It's low in cals -- around 45 cals per cup. It has a very mild flavor. I use it interchangeably with things like sweet potatoes as a side dish. Never tried it with pasta sauce but it sounds good.

I make it in the microwave -- takes about 10 mins per quarter.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    that stuff is the *kitten*!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I don't like it in replacement of spaghetti noodles. However, I DO like it tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and served as a side dish. I cook mine whole in the microwave about 10 minutes, cut it open, take out the seeds. Then "fork" the squash into spaghetti and dress as above, It's delicious!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    everything is better with cheese-
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is AMAZING!!! I'm so happy that they are now in season. I have over a dozen recipes, which I just took out & plan on making them over the next couple of weeks. I tried them for the first time last winter & fell in love with them. DELICIOUS!! Give it a try, you won't be disappointed...Feel free to inbox me, if you'd like for me to share the recipes.

Also, it doesn't takes like pasta, although, it is EXTREMELY filling...

FYI - I bake mine in the oven. Haven't ever tried it in the microwave, except for a slight reheat.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It definitely doesn't taste like pasta, but sometimes I prefer it to pasta.

I'm obsessed with this recipe-- http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.html Something about the cheese and the nutty flavor of the squash works for me.

I really enjoy zucchini noodles. I make them in my spiralizer and I think they are more like actual spaghetti that spaghetti squash. They still aren't exactly the same though.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I like it as a dish on it's own, not a pasta replacement. If I want pasta, I eat pasta. If I want squash, I eat squash.

To me, it tastes similar to acorn squash (well, all squashes taste similar to me anyway), but makes a nice interesting side dish.
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe over the weekend & it's delicious!!! having leftovers for lunch :)

http://paleomg.com/spaghetti-squash-crusted-quiche/
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love squash of all kinds but it is a squash. It does not taste like pasta. You won't fool a kid into eating veggies with it ( I tried :) didn't work) but it is yummy.