Starting to run!

Options
Hello!

I have recently gained a lot of weight through illness. Before this, I used to be able to run a 6 minute mile, however, I have now lost all skills, and motivation to get back into it.

When I first started running, I just sort of ran....didnt do a walk to a jog to a run type thing...just sprinted and gradually got faster. Now I am wishing to start again, to actually get back in shape. Has anyone got any tips, or any running schedule suitable for someone who is now probably classed as a complete beginner?

Thanks!

Replies

• thenebean9
    Options
    Give the Couch to 5k plan a try! Builds you back up slowly from not running to being able to run a 5k! Good luck!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started runing on the 16th of september so i am a couple of days shy of a month. You can start by walk/jogging. If you push yourself too hard, you might throw up( it happened to me twice already). My best advice is to see how far you can run first without stopping by jogging and take it from there.

I can run a mile now without stopping. If i can do it, i know you can do it to! Just take it slow.

I run 5 days a week too, sometimes 6 but i have no idea how your schedule is. Running just about everyday has helped me tremendously and when i don't run, my body misses it!
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the c25k program. It's a beginner's running guide to get you from no running experience to being able to run no stop for 30 mins in 8 weeks. I'm on the last day of week 2 and I can already tell a difference.

You can google c25k and it will pull up a lot of information for you on it.

Good Luck!!!
  • amccabe110
    amccabe110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm im week 7 of couch to 5k...I went from huffing & puffing after 60 seconds of running, to now being able to run for 25 minutes straight! Give it a try-you can run at your own pace, but they strongly suggest running slower to build up your endurance...if you ran previously, the speed will come back ( I would imagine)...It's a 9 week program, and there is also a Bridge to 10k for latere....Good luck!! :smile:
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    C25K. I started it back in February, completed it in April and have run 5 5Ks since. I also ran in my first 10K yesterday! Just be smart and pay attention to what your body is telling you!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Like mentioned earlier, check out the Couch to 5K program. I started C25K 6 weeks ago and felt like i was going to die running for 90 seconds, this past Sunday night i went for 25 minutes non-stop at about a 10 minute mile.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    I agree check the C25K out. I tried it once, but was sick when I ran and it felt worse than dying. I'm hoping to get over my cold (nasty chesty cough) and try the whole program. I'm not a runner at all.

Good luck!
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I will also suggest the couch 2 5K program. I'm a recent graduate who hadn't run much (at all) since I got out of the Army 20 years ago. I'm now running 3 miles three days per week and gradually picking up my pace, I'm now running a 8.5 minute mile (7MPH).

While I won't be breaking any records soon it's a HUGE improvement over January when I would get winded walking from the parking lot in to the timeclock at work and could barely jog for a minute at a time.
  • cataclysm
    cataclysm Posts: 109
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you guys, its really appreciated! The last tfew times ive attempted running Ive got really bad nausea. Is that from pushing to hard too soon? It was horrible feeling that unfit. I hate the fact I had really good speed, and now its all gone. Im definitely up for getting back into this though!

Any fellow runners can add me! We can motivate each other!