JM Body Revolution and 1200 calorie diet?

Options
I'm planning on starting Jillian Michael's Body Revolution on Monday but am a little concerned about the diet portion. It says that the diet is 1200 calories per day. I've read so much against dropping calories so low that it concerns me a bit to do this. I currently weigh 160 and am 5'5" and would like to get down to around 135-140. I'm much less concerned with the scale, more concerned with how my body looks. Any suggestions?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Just don't follow the diet part.
  • HeavenlyBri
    Options
    So TDEE - 20%?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    So TDEE - 20%?

That's what I would do.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Or use MFP's calculations and add your exercise. None of Jillian's programs are huge calorie burners so figuring it into TDEE might be tricky.
  • HeavenlyBri
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I was very tempted to try the 1200 calorie diet for 90 days just to get the most dramatic results I could, however, I don't want to mess up my metabolism in the process. I'd like to make a change that I can stick with. I'll try doing it with TDEE -20% and see how it goes. At the moment I'm not active at all so any activity will be better than what I'm currently doing. I'm not going to eat back exercise calories either. Just leave it where it is and check back after a month or 6 weeks and see how much progress I've made and reevaluate from there.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I was very tempted to try the 1200 calorie diet for 90 days just to get the most dramatic results I could, however, I don't want to mess up my metabolism in the process. I'd like to make a change that I can stick with. I'll try doing it with TDEE -20% and see how it goes. At the moment I'm not active at all so any activity will be better than what I'm currently doing. I'm not going to eat back exercise calories either. Just leave it where it is and check back after a month or 6 weeks and see how much progress I've made and reevaluate from there.

If you do TDEE you aren't supposed to eat back exercise. You figure your activity in and deduct 20%. You eat there everyday regardless of what you do so you have to be sure to hit your TDEE number accurately.
  • kakaiie
    kakaiie Posts: 19
    Options
    sorry wrong board haha
  • HeavenlyBri
    Options
    Thank you, Mokey!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am finishing up week 6 today (almost halfway there). I follow MFP and eat back my exercise calories. MVP does have me set at 1200. According to my HRM I burn a little over 300 calories a workout so I eat about 1500 a day. I have lost every week and most days feel satisfied with my food intake. I am down 9 lbs as of my weigh in last week.
  • HeavenlyBri
    Options
    That's great to hear! I'm excited to start this program and relieved to know that it's not necessary to cut down to 1200 calories in order to see results.
  • codetrance
    codetrance Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Heavenly Bri,

I'm doing 1250 calories a day, and it seems fine for me so far (on day 7) and I'm not hungry. I'm male, 201 lbs, and 5'7" The trick is to track everything you do (diet AND exercise), and drink lots of water.

As regards metabolism, what I'm doing is having a cheat day on Saturday (Yesterday I had Pho- Yum), which resets your leptin levels so your body doesn't stay in starvation mode (where it wants to retain fat). I also do a fast day on Sunday where I only take in 600 calories, this gets the fat burn going again, and helps increase HGH levels (which also helps w/ fat).

That's the plan at least- At 1250 I should be losing 2 lbs a week, but it's dropping faster for me right now- I'm guessing it's because I have so much to lose!

Feel free to add me- I'm happy to help encourage & be encouraged!
  • HeavenlyBri
    Options
    It's interesting to see a man at 1200 calories... When I did weight watchers way back in the day, I never used my flex points and didn't count my points during one day of the week, so I basically did the same as you by having a "cheat" day. I will start tomorrow and see where this goes. I appreciate all the replies!