I'M TIRED OF DON'Ts

Options
Okay, I'm tired of what I can't eat and want to focus more on the nutritional benefits of food.

Do me a favor and list a food its health benefit(s)

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    All food. Benefits? Life.
  • ddpiel
    ddpiel Posts: 52
    Options
    avocado: Monounsaturated Fats — These types of fats help control triglycerides in the bloodstream, lower blood cholesterol and control diabetes.
    Phytonutrient compound found in avocados, such as polyphenols and flavonoids have been found to have anti-inflammatory properties, thereby reducing the risk of inflammatory and degenerative disorders.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Well it's all a matter of perspective, isn't it? For instance, I don't think "I CAN'T have McDonalds french fries", I think "Wow, I get to eat something way healthier!"

It's the difference between feeling *forced* to doing something you DON'T want to do, and making a *choice* and WANTING to do it. Just remind yourself of the positive effects of your choice rather than what you're giving up.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's getting pretty old tonight. :yawn: I think avocado is the only food that hasn't been labeled dirty, scary, junk or evil, too bad it's so disgusting. :laugh:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Well it's all a matter of perspective, isn't it? For instance, I don't think "I CAN'T have McDonalds french fries", I think "Wow, I get to eat something way healthier!"

It's the difference between feeling *forced* to doing something you DON'T want to do, and making a *choice* and WANTING to do it. Just remind yourself of the positive effects of your choice rather than what you're giving up.

that's the idea... Just looking for some new nutrtionally dense foods.

Turns out I really enjoy healthy foods. I just want to get better at balancing my nutrition.

I also find that eating healthier foods it reduces cravings
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    its harder if you have a dont list. it just makes you want them all

do cut down on certain items
    do your excercises

i think that is easier to work with
  • auntiebabs
    Options

do your excercises

I don't want a don't list... I want a DO list
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

do your excercises

I don't want a DON'T LIST... I want a DO LIST
    If you don't have a don't list, you don't need a do list.:laugh: Enjoy what you like in moderation. :drinker:
    eat-all-the-things.jpg
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    A do list.

Capsicum, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, any other vege - because they're crunchy, yummy, fill you up and are full of vitamins.

Potatoes, kumara, sweet potatoes, yams, nz yams, pumpkin, taro, parsnips, beetroot, onions - because if God hadn't meant you to eat roast veges, he wouldn't have invented cooking oil.

Jubes, jellies - because your fingernails will love you.

Sugar because it tastes good.

Fat because it tastes good.

Protein because it tastes good and fills you up.

Bananas cos they're long and yellow.
    Oranges because they're juicy and sweet.

How long do you want this list?
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already are focusing too much on what the forum is telling you to do instead doing what is actually right for you to do.
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    A do list.

Capsicum, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, any other vege - because they're crunchy, yummy, fill you up and are full of vitamins.

Potatoes, kumara, sweet potatoes, yams, nz yams, pumpkin, taro, parsnips, beetroot, onions - because if God hadn't meant you to eat roast veges, he wouldn't have invented cooking oil.

Yep, I'm going to eat sugar because it tastes good, but that's not a nutritional benefit.
    And yes fats taste good, but they are also great for brain function, your nervous system and fighting depression.

Bananas :sad: I am allergic to them :cry:
  • bridgie101
    Options
    A do list.

Yep, I'm going to eat sugar because it tastes good, but that's not a nutritional benefit.
    And yes fats taste good, but they are also great for brain function, your nervous system and fighting depression.

Robbed!

NB: eating tasty tasty sugar coated jubes is very good for your brain function. It makes brain HAPPY. :D

haha. I don't remember the OP saying the list of do's had to be good for you. All things in moderation. ;P
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Spinach, green beans, kale, collard greens, onions, mushroom and controlled (limited) quantities of nuts and seeds.
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    A do list.

Robbed!

NB: eating tasty tasty sugar coated jubes is very good for your brain function. It makes brain HAPPY. :D

haha. I don't remember the OP saying the list of do's had to be good for you. All things in moderation. ;P

Ha! I am the OP...
    Okay, I'm tired of what I can't eat and want to focus more on the nutritional benefits of food.
  • bridgie101
    Options
    A do list.

Robbed!

Ha! I am the OP...

Och! Spoilsport!

Well okay: sugar is used by your brain. So there. It's useful stuff. What are you eating to start with?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Fruit! Fruit all day long :) And nuts in moderation (just because of the high calories). If you don't eat those two categories often, eat more of 'em. They are wonderful! Canned fruits are OK, so it's really simple to get them. Try some apricots. Yum.

[Can you tell I started a backyard orchard of fruits and nuts, lol? I swear sometimes I wish that's all humans had to eat to be well. Well, maybe cheese and chocolate, too :) ]
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    All food is good. Some foods are better eaten in moderation. Eat mostly things you like to eat, just eat them "mindfully" with consideration for which foods you can pretty much eat all you want (like "greens") and which things you might want to save for an occasional treat for when you have "calories to spare", like cake or jelly donuts. (try things you don't think you'll like that you think might be good for you from time to time - you might change the way you feel about them - I always hated "candied" sweet potatoes, but have found I like sweet potatoes baked or microwaved with just a dab of butter and no "sugar"). I sometimes choose one thing over another to better balance my macros - something high in protein if I'm low there and pushing my carb total, something high in carbs if I'm already at the point I've set for protein or getting close.
  • auntiebabs
    Options
    A do list.

Robbed!

Ha! I am the OP...
    Och! Spoilsport!

Well okay: sugar is used by your brain. So there. It's useful stuff. What are you eating to start with?
    Okay, here is my starting point and was basically looking to expand on this to add more variety
    Salmon - Omega 3s and healthy fats Good for heart health, brain function and anti-depression
    Avocaodos - MUFAs & PUFAs healthy fats Good for heart health, brain function and anti-depression
    Oatmeal - Complex Carbs Fibers good for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels
    Nuts and Seed - healthy fats Good for heart health, brain function and anti-depression

Blueberries - Anti-oxidents helps fight cancer
    BlackTea/Geen Tea - Anti-oxidents helps fight cancer
    Ginger - Good at combating arthritis
    Tumeric - Good at combating arthritis

MIllet - Complex Carb High in Potassium good for healthy blood pressure (counter acts sodium) Good protein content as well

Sardines - High in Calcium Good for health bones and muscle relaxation Omega 3s and healthy fats Good for heart health, brain function and anti-depression

Garlic - Anti-bacterial properties.

It's really this sort of list I was looking to expand

BTW Allregic to: -Licorice, Anise, fennel, etc -Tofu, -Bananas, -Wine, and more...
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    The nuts have great minerals, too. Even peanuts.

For meat eaters, shellfish also have nice minerals that can be hard to get in food.

Beans help glucose/insulin levels and are packed with vitamins and have good protein levels. If you don't like regular American bean types, try lentils if you never have. Or hummus! Falafel rocks, too.