Newbie to the gym.. advice needed please

Options
Hello, ive just joined the gym and have been every night this week and i'm taking the weekend as my rest days.
i just wanted to ask a few questions to you all as even though i had my induction they would not give me any advice unless i paid for it??

i need to know what your routine is..
i go in there warm up for 10 on resistance 6 on step machine, then stretch.. do some lifting on various machines.. then 20 min uphill 5km walk which the sweat pours off me! and then 10-15 min cool down on bike...

like i said i have been every night this week and i eat at around 1500 cals and i have gained 2lbs!!
is this normal??
should i eat more should i eat less.... should i different exercise?

sorry for all questions but i want to put my heart and soul into this as i love the feeling of hurting the next day and sweat pour off me!

many thanks in advance
Amy from UK

oh and i'm 242lbs and 5ft 3inches

Replies

• happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
    hellooooooooo..:smile:
  • Frostgtr
    Options
    Hello! Good thing you didnt pay for advice! There are tons of advice that you can find online for free. I have a simple split routine. My routine is M- legs, T- chest, W- back, Th - Shoulder, F - legs and arms. I warm up with some stretches and light weight. I do cardio MWF and abs T,TH after the workout. I do legs twice because one of my goals is to squat 500lb. You can really do anything you want on friday. You can rearrange the body parts however you like. FYI dont worry about being muscular and huge, because it is impossible for women to develop huge muscle like a man naturally. Women do not produce enough testosterone. (I hate that myth)

In regards to your weight question, you could be building muscle. I personally would stick to the 1500 calories. Your already at a deficit. Its bad to have a big calorie deficit and lose weight too fast. If you lose weight to fast, then you will have excess skin hanging. It take time ;)

This site can help you find a workout program that tailor to your fitness goal!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout/programs.html

Regardless what you pick, consistency and intensity is the key! So Good Luck!
  • ronitigre
    ronitigre Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a gym question too! If you're planning on just going to the gym for weight training, would it be foolish to not have a workout partner or trainer to make sure you're doing things right?

I can't get a trainer and no one else I know can afford the gym right now :P I remember from high school fitness class how important form is when working out, if it's not perfect will I still see results?
  • Frostgtr
    Options
    No, It is not foolish to have a workout partner or a trainer. I personally work out alone most of the time. The benefit to have someone work out with you is competition and spot. The competition between two partner will push each other. Your partner can spot you when you are attempting heavy weight or even just critiquing you form. A personal trainer is the same as a partner, but it will cost you money and watch you workout. lol. You will be surprise at the fact of how little a personal trainer knows compare to some of the regulars at the gym.

If your form is not perfect you will still see result, but you will not maximize the potential of your result. More importantly you will have a high risk of injuring yourself.

The only one you need is yourself and the weights.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the jump up in body weight - it's just a temporary reaction to a change in routine (not muscle growth either though!!). Just retaining a bit of water as you have been working your muscles and they are no doubt a little sore. It will go.

A better warm up would be to use an elliptical (hands & feet) or rowing machine rather than a stepper which only works your legs. The aim of the warm up is not to get warm but rather to get everything moving. Stretching after warmup isn't really beneficial unless you are doing dynamic stretches as part of a warmup routine - stretch after you have finished.

As for weights - just build up slowly, you need to be struggling on your last couple of lifts each set or you aren't lifting enough weight. Try and keep a balance of push/pull exercises.

An alternative way is to do cardio and weights on different days - otherwise one tends to compromise the other.

You have made a great start. Well done you! :flowerforyou:
  • Frostgtr
    Options
    Don't worry about the jump up in body weight - it's just a temporary reaction to a change in routine (not muscle growth either though!!). Just retaining a bit of water as you have been working your muscles and they are no doubt a little sore. It will go.

A better warm up would be to use an elliptical (hands & feet) or rowing machine rather than a stepper which only works your legs. The aim of the warm up is not to get warm but rather to get everything moving. Stretching after warmup isn't really beneficial unless you are doing dynamic stretches as part of a warmup routine - stretch after you have finished.

As for weights - just build up slowly, you need to be struggling on your last couple of lifts each set or you aren't lifting enough weight. Try and keep a balance of push/pull exercises.

An alternative way is to do cardio and weights on different days - otherwise one tends to compromise the other.

You have made a great start. Well done you! :flowerforyou:

Ah thats right!! water! lol totally forgot about that.
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

thank you guys!! love you all feel free to add me to keep me on track lol.xx
  • girlsjustwanna13
    girlsjustwanna13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly, stretch after your workout not before or during. It has no benefit to stretch before, it actually weakens muscle fibres and you are not as strong.

Secondly, because you are not used to exercise your muscles will be storing water. It is perfectly normal to gain weight after new workouts for a while. Once your muscles get used to the routine this will settle but when you work a new muscle group it will re-occur. Don't worry about it!
  • joytrot65
    Options
    Hi
    It is not possible that you put on 2 lbs of muscle in a week. Your weight normally fluctuates, and you may be holding on to some water. Be sure you are not overestimating your calories burned and eating too much....that is a weight loss killer. What I do is log all my food for the day WITHOUT adding the exersize til the end, otherwise I eat a bunch of calories that I "earned" and sometimes go overboard. I have gone to the gym for years and have a fair amount of muscle due to weight training. My best advice is this....find what works for YOU and makes you want to come back. If you are torturing yourself you won't stick with it. Set your own mini-goals when you get there, ...like going one more minute when you feel like stopping. You can do weights first, or cardio first, just do what you like best.
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Great questions- i'm going to friend request you as I've just joined the gym too and have these exact same questions. I have actually asked the friendly and knowedgeable duo over at Eat, Train, Progress (it's a MFP group you can join) to assess what I've been doing and give me feed back.

What I've been doing is this, and after reading the responses on here I can already see how I can improve, so thanks!

warm-up on bike (will change this to elliptical to warm up upper and lower) 5 mins and do some light stretching
    Then I work through the machines in this order, doing 3 sets of 12 reps with the following weights:

leg press- 140lbs
    chest press- 50lbs
    seated row- 50lbs
    leg curl- 50lbs
    outer leg- 80 lbs
    inner leg- 80lbs
    shoulder press- 40lbs (weakling I am!)
    triceps- 80 lbs
    bicep curls with bar- 60lbs
    abdominal crunches- 50 reps of 50lbs

If I can manage it, I get on the chin/dip combo @ 110lbs

Then, I do another 15 mins of HIIT on the bike and try to burn >250 calories

I'm awaiting a reponse with advice from Eat, Train, Progress, but I'm expecting they'll advise me to split me upper and lower. I think it is a better idea as you can do a greater range of exercises.

I also asked if it was better to do cardio before or after.

I'll let you know what info they give me, but you should look up that group- they give great advice :)
  • Frostgtr
    Options
    Hi
    It is not possible that you put on 2 lbs of muscle in a week. Your weight normally fluctuates, and you may be holding on to some water. Be sure you are not overestimating your calories burned and eating too much....that is a weight loss killer. What I do is log all my food for the day WITHOUT adding the exersize til the end, otherwise I eat a bunch of calories that I "earned" and sometimes go overboard. I have gone to the gym for years and have a fair amount of muscle due to weight training. My best advice is this....find what works for YOU and makes you want to come back. If you are torturing yourself you won't stick with it. Set your own mini-goals when you get there, ...like going one more minute when you feel like stopping. You can do weights first, or cardio first, just do what you like best.

Your right! It's water not muscle. I couldn't put my finger on it! It's water retention not muscle. Sorry op if I confuse you.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio on the same day does not contradict strength, otherwise I've been doing it all wrong! Shame its been working though ;-)
  • tredilla
    Options
    the best money spent is on a personal trainer. he or she will see that you are working hard enough without injuring your self and be ableto provide personal nutritioal help
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I work out with a trainer three times a week for 30 minute sessions.One day we typically do total body, one day lower body/core, one day upper body/low back. I do anywhere from 15-45 minutes of cardio before the sessions (depending on how much time I have between work & my session). I only stretch after. The upper body days he'll have me get on the rowing machine to warm up my shoulders. I do other cardio and/or Pilates three days of each week that I don't work out with my trainer, and then I take a rest day.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can think of adding is with your weights routine, don't be doing the same thing everyday as your muscles need time to repair and strengthen. Work out how many days you're able to do your strength training and find a program/split that suits the time you can commit to it.

For me personally, I'm able to lift weights 5 times a week and picked a program that works on a 5 day split giving me 2 full days off from any lifting to recover. I'll also have 2 days between hitting each major muscle group, again, to help with continued recovery and repair.

Hopefully my contribution makes sense and is of use. Good work on getting yourself into the gym and getting active. I joined my first gym back in May last year and the experience was a little daunting at first. This feeling goes away quickly as the confidence builds. Enjoy!