Does anyone ever feel...

Options
I Feel...weird. I think this website is amazing, I really do. I think all of you on my friends list, and newcomers here are all wonderful! I have a problem, I know that I am to use this awesome online tool to track my calories (using it has made me so much more aware of what Im putting in my body). I have a problem, although I am still losing weight, I feel unhappy, I feel like I am focusing and obsessing (almost) over the calorie count, the sodium intake (which i should be doing anyway-but i feel weird) too much.

Does anyone ever feel this way? I just feel, really....BLAH. I think that I am well aware of the things that are in foods and would use this site to help me if Im not quite sure. I am thinking of stopping the logging process, but visit daily for motivation and support.

Does anyone have any kind words? Advice? Similar feelings?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that if I don't track, I easily go over my calories. I get 1,200 a day and it doesn't take a ton of food to exceed that.

But if you feel like you're in an unhealthy place, I suggest you read Intuitive Eating. It may help you get a grip on things.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Idk- I try to keep my counting itself in check. It's really easy for it to subsume your life. I see a lot of people who freak out over carbs or cheese or candy and I just think "that's just not for me" I like all those things and I am going to continue to have them and like them.

Maybe try for a few days just writing down the foods you eat, as you eat them but don't log them in here until the end of the day? That way you can still be aware of the food you are eating but you aren't obsessing over every little calorie. If it works than maybe do that on weekends as a regular course so you have "down time" but aren't going over your cals horrendously? You sound like you just need a mental break, which makes me think you've been pushing yourself a bit too hard.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I totally feel this on some days!! You're not alone! It's a lot of work to track everything you're consuming and how many calories you burn, etc. For me, I go through the motions until I'm not sick of it anymore. Some days, I just get on, quickly log my calories, do a quick add if I really don't have the time, just so I'm at least tracking calories and be done with it. Other days, I really enjoy logging on and commenting on forums, seeing how my other fitness friends are doing and encouraging each other, etc. Make this site be what you need for your life and forget about it if it's taking away from your success! Good luck to ya! :)
  • barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yeah i feel that way...SOmtimes i feel so depressed..Im tired of dieting and it makes me feel like u said Blah
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I always go over on Fiber and often on Protein. I quick tracking sugar. It was all coming form fruits anyway.

I try to say within my calorie range, but I honestly don't sweat the rest.
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    I always go over on Fiber and often on Protein. I quick tracking sugar. It was all coming form fruits anyway.

I try to say within my calorie range, but I honestly don't sweat the rest.
  • naguilar210
    Options
    Idk- I try to keep my counting itself in check. It's really easy for it to subsume your life. I see a lot of people who freak out over carbs or cheese or candy and I just think "that's just not for me" I like all those things and I am going to continue to have them and like them.

Maybe try for a few days just writing down the foods you eat, as you eat them but don't log them in here until the end of the day? That way you can still be aware of the food you are eating but you aren't obsessing over every little calorie. If it works than maybe do that on weekends as a regular course so you have "down time" but aren't going over your cals horrendously? You sound like you just need a mental break, which makes me think you've been pushing yourself a bit too hard.

I think thats exactly it...
    I have been focusing too much and working VERY hard toward my goal.
    Although I do have some bad foods (especially lately) I think Im just TOO focused and cant enjoy things.
  • naguilar210
    Options
    Yeah i feel that way...SOmtimes i feel so depressed..Im tired of dieting and it makes me feel like u said Blah

I really dont see everything i take in as a diet, just a lifestyle change now...but I am overthinking things a bit, then just wanna say 'screw it all'. lol.
  • xc600chic
    Options
    Maybe you should delete the calorie and sodium intake on your food intake board....and then later as you feel better and not so worried about the intake of calories and sodium ....you can always add them back in .... you and I both know it is very easy to put weight back on by eating too much...just stay aware of what your eating and rough out the calorie and sodium intake for a bit ! Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I really dont see everything i take in as a diet, just a lifestyle change now...but I am overthinking things a bit, then just wanna say 'screw it all'. lol.

I focus on my health. I eat to be healthy. I track fiber (hello, colon cancer!) and because I'm vegetarian, I track protein, calcium and iron to make sure I'm getting enough.

I eat what I enjoy, but try to make healthier choices (whole grains instead of white -- things like that). I don't worry about fat or sugar because most of mine comes from healthy sources. I don't worry about carbs because I realize they are not my enemy as long as, again, they come from the right sources.

If I want something gooey, I have something gooey. By allowing that into my diet, I don't go overboard with it. I don't overanalyze my diet, just try to keep it clean with whole foods and stay at my calories goal. It helps me not obsess.

And because I eat whole foods and mostly cook at home instead of eating out, I don't have to worry at all about sodium. I don't even get the RDA 99% of the time.
  • Jolly2000
    Options
    I think you're not alone feel that way,,,,,even my busy days I still login my food cuz I feel lost if I dunt
    I've lost 11 lbs so far ,, & that's my 1st time to do that without gaining back,,,,,I'm grateful to the owner of this site & all of my friends here
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have my diary settings so that I only track what I'm concerned with tracking. I only track calories, protein, iron and calcium. I came up with those settings after a bit of trial and error. I realized that when I eat too much protein, I stink (badly). I'm iron-deficient anemic, so I track that. And then, I'm a chick, so I should care about calcium (even if I really don't, but I'm trying). The rest, I've found, isn't really important for me. I'm a much nicer person when I allow myself a bit more sugar, and I work in food service, so low fat is never going to happen.

I track what I need to, and have the rest set not to show up, and then I don't have to worry about them. Try and figure out what really matters to your body, and don't worry about the rest.
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Woman, you've lost 90 pounds. 90 POUNDS!!!!!! Give yourself a break. I've never had to loose 90 pounds in my whole life where it didn't involve childbirth. That is an incredible amount of you GONE.

If you are tired of counting calories, try weightwatchers and do points for a bit. You've come too far to give up, maybe you can switch it up a little bit. Don't get too hung up on the details. You are doing great.

90 POUNDS!!!!!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I get like that too. I'm usually very good staying under everything except my sodium counts. If i have my bad days I try my best to let it pass and go on. You lost 90 pounds so I agree, take a break..just don't go overboard. I would love to see the day come when I lose that much. I'm not even halfway to my total GW yet.
  • ttaylortulsa
    ttaylortulsa Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps to think of this less as "dieting" and more as "life-style change." At first, I had a hard time buying into that mindset. But I've found that the longer I keep at it, the easier it becomes. Making the right decisions eventually becomes the new norm. Keep at it, it WILL get easier :)