Have lost almost 70 lbs but now I don't know what to do

Options
I'm 25 years old and 5'7". I've followed different types of diets through my weight loss journey and lost almost 70 lbs. Now, I'm down to 179 lbs (Actually, my weight fluctuates anywhere between 2-5 lbs) and my goal is to be 125 lbs. Currently, I'm in the midst of my weight loss journey but I do not know how I should continue on my way from now on. I lost most of my weight by counting calories but I noticed some weird things with myself: calorie counting became a sick obsession for me, I was afraid to eat! As soon as I did eat something I was in a state of anxiety. Then, I realized that was not a healthy attitude and did give up calorie counting. Later, I tried Dukan Diet but I did not work for me, I could eat whenever I want but I could not get rid of constipation while dieting. (Normally, I do not have a constipation problem) Lastly, I did fast diet. I was not hungry during fasting, it was easy to follow. But... I lost nothing, huge disappointment! My doc prescribed me with Metformin, I'm taking 1000 mg twice a day. It helps to curb my appetite, I barely eat something but there are some side effects: nausea, diarrhea, dizziness... Although it helps me to stop sugar cravings, I don't want to take this pills anymore. I think this is not a healthy way for me.

In a nutshell, I want to lose weight but I don't know what to do :(

I appreciate your help and support!

Replies

• runlilyrun
    Options
    I calorie count and I think it's a brilliant way to lose weight, but I make myself have non-counting days every so often, and even non-counting weeks where the aim is just to maintain.
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Go back to calorie counting.
    Try to build a positive relationship with food.

Plan ahead and log food beforehand. Then you dont have to think about logging after eating.

Youve successfully lost weight already, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem to continue??
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues, I can get rather obsessive with it.

I keep going, because ultimately I want to eat my food al the time and any other diet will give me recipes and other food and stuff I need to figure out, and even if I have the fortitude to follow the diet (something I'd rarely do) I then would gain it back when I started eating normal again and tbh I would have no idea why. Since I am counting calories I know it is portion size for me and frozen coke. I also figured out that I have days of very low salt (yesterday 177mg) and on those days I feel like crap, so I need to increase my salt and monitor it daily, which is why I am still here. I think I could probably stop now and keep losing, but logging keeps me accountable, despite it's tendency to make me rather obsessive with its values.

Good luck :-)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 years old and 5'7". I've followed different types of diets through my weight loss journey and lost almost 70 lbs. Now, I'm down to 179 lbs (Actually, my weight fluctuates anywhere between 2-5 lbs) and my goal is to be 125 lbs. Currently, I'm in the midst of my weight loss journey but I do not know how I should continue on my way from now on. I lost most of my weight by counting calories but I noticed some weird things with myself: calorie counting became a sick obsession for me, I was afraid to eat! As soon as I did eat something I was in a state of anxiety. Then, I realized that was not a healthy attitude and did give up calorie counting. Later, I tried Dukan Diet but I did not work for me, I could eat whenever I want but I could not get rid of constipation while dieting. (Normally, I do not have a constipation problem) Lastly, I did fast diet. I was not hungry during fasting, it was easy to follow. But... I lost nothing, huge disappointment! My doc prescribed me with Metformin, I'm taking 1000 mg twice a day. It helps to curb my appetite, I barely eat something but there are some side effects: nausea, diarrhea, dizziness... Although it helps me to stop sugar cravings, I don't want to take this pills anymore. I think this is not a healthy way for me.

The hardest part about controlled weight loss is managing your relationship with food. I ordered the "Dukan Diet" from amazon and immediately tossed it in the bin ( I couldn't with a good conscience donate this nonsense to a friend or a library) when in the opening paragraph the author decided vegetarians are an abnormal part of human life.

What you NEED to do is quit with fad diets and fasting...the simple recipe of eat less, move more might be something you want to try, you don't mention any sort of exercise.

Whilst it's true that food management is the way to lose weight, if you combined that with some cardio or lifting, not only will you lose weight, but lose it on a healthy and even more enjoyable way without the need to feel guilty, or even worse, get sick
  • ProudMomNY
    Options
    First of all why did he prescribe Metformin to you? I'm a diabetic and that is the medication normally given to diabetics. Also given to women with polycystic ovary syndrome. If he gave you pills ONLY to help with weight loss I'd see a different doctor. As I've told other women here you also need to see a registered dietician. They are highly trained and registered with the American Dietetic Association. Where on the other hand a plain nutritionist is not accountable at all. You can find one at your local hospital they will gladly make an appt. with you to go over your needs. And they'll also work with your doctor. If you are on Metformin for a medical reason you may not be able to stop taking it. Metformin, by the way also helps to protect your kidneys from damage if you are a type 2 diabetic. So don't knock them too fast.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Go back to counting calories (it works!) but look at your daily calorie goal as just that, a GOAL, not a limit to be afraid of.

That's the way this was meant to work, to get as close to your goal as is realistic.

Also focus more on a weekly average than daily. Don't sweat going over one day by a few hundred, you are still under maintenance.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    If you take the time to read through the forums.. you'll see that so many here have an unhealthy relationship with food. I applaud you for realizing there is something amiss with your weight loss journey.

If you fast, or do a fad diet..you know you'll just gain it all back when you stop. You have to choose calorie counting so you can truly learn that you can eat and still get to your goal. It is just what you eat and how much if your choice is high in calories.

I say come up with a list ot of got tomeals that fit into your calorie goal (and don't eat just 1200 caloreis or below a day) and rotate them so you don't have to think about your food all the time. LIke have three breakfast meals that are 350... three lunches at 500...four dinners at 400 and 500. Snacks at 100 and 200 calories. And just automate your diet until you relax and realize you're eating and losing at a healthy rate.

Good luck to you.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    On a positive note, you are well on your way to checking things of the big list as to what works for you and what does not. Counting calories, for me, is a way to track more globally how my food choices effect the number on the bathroom scale. Some days I go over my "limit" and other days based on my day: I do not eat all of my calories.

The other aspect I did not see in your post is activity? Not exercise if that is a negative word for you. Take a walk, climb more stairs at work, park at the end of the lot when shopping etc. There is a children's song for health called: Move, Move, Move! Even if you just dance around the house as you pick up and clean each week. I am more diligent in posting my movement than I am posting my foods.

Keep working through the list of what works and does not work for you: the fun thing about being human is we are all different and react biochemically different : therefore one format or system does not work for all!
  • lizz2013
    lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well done for losing so much weight! I'm 5, 7 and 208lbs and have a similar goal to you and I know how hard it can be. I don't know what exercise you are doing but how about trying Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels? it is 3 months long and gives you fantastic focus. I'm on week 3 and I'm finding that I naturally cut back on junk food and sugar because its not what my body craves. You can be a bit more relaxed on the calorie counting because you are burning so much and you'll feel your body toning up by the end of the first week. I'd definitely recommend it :) Feel free to add me if you want to do it with me x
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

The hardest part about controlled weight loss is managing your relationship with food. I ordered the "Dukan Diet" from amazon and immediately tossed it in the bin ( I couldn't with a good conscience donate this nonsense to a friend or a library) when in the opening paragraph the author decided vegetarians are an abnormal part of human life.

What you NEED to do is quit with fad diets and fasting...the simple recipe of eat less, move more might be something you want to try, you don't mention any sort of exercise.

Whilst it's true that food management is the way to lose weight, if you combined that with some cardio or lifting, not only will you lose weight, but lose it on a healthy and even more enjoyable way without the need to feel guilty, or even worse, get sick

^^^ THIS, THIS, THIS^^^.

Please continue counting calories. Planning ahead, and eating everything in moderation. Maybe try strength exercises, building muscle mass while burning fat.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Metformin, by the way also helps to protect your kidneys from damage if you are a type 2 diabetic. So don't knock them too fast.

It should never be taken by people with either Kidney or Liver problems!
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    DO NOT keep losing weight! you should stay at a healthy BMI, and 55kg is much under what's healthy for you. It would probably be my minimum-underweight, and I'm 5"6.
    As for your constipation, I read a post just a moment ago and people recommended to eat fiber reach foods and drink lots of water, so I say you should try that.
    As for your eating anxiety, drop the calorie counting and diets. As a person recovering from an eating disorder, once you get to the point you're afraid to eat, or looking at a normal calorie count and saying 'it's too much' it's a sign something went wrong. I would say, talk to a psychologist. It's not a shame, it's totally fine and would help you a lot :)
    Once you feel more comfortable with eating, you can start counting again, but I honestly would prefer just eating by instinct. I know that after a while of changing my lifestyle, I will be able to know what I should eat without counting, just by listening to what my body wants. And I can tel you, right now I do it partially, and it feels great :)
    If you're looking to lose weight because you're unhappy with your body, rather than losing weight, get to a 20-22 BMI (21 would be perfect, though, I think) and concentrate on lowering body fat % and training your muscles. That would get you nice and lean :) I haven't done it yet, as I am faaar from my goal (60kg), but that's the optimal hing to do, in my opinion. I read a lot of what people advise on this forum, and I tend to find it makes sense.
  • deathend
    Options
    Just going to give my two cents as well~

You should start exercising, eat better and eat decent portions. You'd feel better, your body would start using your nutrients for something other than trying not to die and you wouldn't obsess as much.

Another approach is to eat lots of vegetables (avoid calorie dense things like potatoes), because they are low in calories and healthy so you can stuff your face with them.
  • Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

I'm an active person, I run 3-5 times a week but running increases my appetite. After running or any workout, I eat like a dinasour :)

As most of you suggested, I'll go back to calorie counting and eat back my exercise calories. I hope I'll fix my relationship with food!
  • @ProudMomNY, I'm diagnosed with PCO, I have developed mild insulin resistance and my doc has put me on Metformin. I'm very active person so that I can keep my blood sugar levels within a normal range.

@lizz2013, Yeah, I know Jillian Michaels workout program and I tried it about a year ago, and just didn't have the motivation. Running is a better option for me. It is helpful in reducing stress and honestly, now I am more towards running than any other exercises.

@WinterValen, I absolutely agree with you.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Go back to what worked, calorie counting.

Is it possible to spend a little more time on ere?

I notice when I'm having issues, I can either come here and read about others having the same issues, or I can post and get help. This site is huge and there are a lot of people having the same speed bumps as you. Many of my MFP friends are people who've posted similar problems to what I've gone through or are people who rep
    Sponged when I've posted.

Just don't believe everything you read here.

You can do this, you sound intelligent and motivated.
  • @CheryIP67, Thanks for the reply and encouragement! :)