Gaining weight instead of losing

Options
I have been on this site for over three weeks and always try and stay at 1200 calories - walk for 50 minutes daily! when i weighed myself this morning i had gained 2 pounds instead of losing::sad: i drink around ten glasses of water every day!

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Are you eating high sodium foods?
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you eating? Are you eating healthy? You can count calories all you want, but you will only lose weight if you are eating the correct things.

Also, how often do you eat?
  • sairanasir
    sairanasir Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I try and eat as healthy as possible - no pizza's or anything of that sort - mostly my meals consists of grilled chicken and home made stir fry veggies and for dinner normally it is one whole wheat roti (indian) with maybe a small portion of chicken curry or lentils - my snack are normally bananas, fibre one yogurt, nuts, oranges!! i am always under my allocated calories - you think that would be the cause? thank you:smile:
  • sairanasir
    Options
    I try and eat every three hours - for me breakfast is at 6:00 a.m. normally egg white omelete with 45 calories slice toast (2)
  • ErinMarie25
    Options
    How much under? I can go 100 under and still lose weight. Are you exercising?

Also, eat every 2-3 hours.

Eat within an hour after waking up. Have a snack 2-3 hours after. Then lunch 2 hours after. Snack again, 3 hours. Then eat dinner 3-4 hours before bedtime. That's fueling your body. ;) Keeps your body out of starvation mode, which is when it stores fat.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1200 calories total or are you eating 1200 calories plus at least half of what you burn exercising? You shouldn't really end up with less than NET 1200 calories (this is a struggle for me, but I'm working on it) or your body MAY (it isn't a sure thing, but it very well may do this) go into starvation mode and hoard all the calories you do eat.
    Also you may be building lean muscle right now - have you measured to see if you've lost any inches? That can be a better indicator of whether what you are doing is working than what the scale says.
    Regardless, if you eat healthy and exercise, the weight will come off eventually (this is coming from someone who's got a ton to lose and is really impatient, but it's still true).
  • ErinMarie25
    Options
    All I can say is keep trying! Maybe change up some things you are eating. Are you drinking at least 64 oz of water a day? Do you drink soda?
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It could be that you aren't eating enough. 1200 is pretty low for many people and if you are eating even less while getting daily exercise, it could be your problem. Try eating 200-300 more a day and see if that helps.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Are you adding in your exercise cals and you want to stay close to your MBR also if you go to much lower than that and if you are not adding in the exercise cals you might be to far under and your body could be hold on instead on letting go
  • handstand
    handstand Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    do you eat your exercise calories? if not you could be going into starvation mode, hence the weight gain
  • sairanasir
    Options
    i never drink soda, never liked it from the beginning, i am always under 250 calories! do any of you mind giving me your menu, as to what you eat - maybe i am not eating right. i do exercise every single day, walk for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 during my lunch break.
  • sairanasir
    Options
    i never eat my exercise calories - can any one of you give me some ideas as to what i should eat ?
  • andreahutchens
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here, but saw this post and feel your pain! I gained 2 pounds in one day and I'm fairly certain it has to do with my cycle. I should start any day now and I'm attributing the weight gain to water. I am strictly following the guidelines set up for me by myfitness pal of 1460 calories a day and I'm working out (either walking or weights) for an hour a day. I'm not going to weight myself again until my period is over. Hopefully, things will be back to normal then. Just know that you aren't alone!
  • sairanasir
    Options
    Thank you for feeling my pain! good luck to you too:happy:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Almonds, avocados, fruit (bananas are a good one)... lots of choices to up the calories.