Acorn Squash Recipes?

Options
Famzav8
Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
I have a few acorn squash sitting on my counter I wanted to use tonight. Does anyone have any favorite recipes they'd like to share with me? Last time I made them I baked them and then stuffed them with mushrooms & wild rice.... but looking for something a little different. I'd love to hear how you like to use them. Thanks in advance!! ;)

Replies

• a_better_me_for_me
    Options
    I like mine roasted with cinnamon and a little brown sugar on them.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Cut in half, scoop out seeds, back face down, in last 15 minutes add a tbls. of butter or margarine and a little brown sugar or maple syrup......just had this over the weekend. The sweet of the maple syrup really goes well with acorn squash!
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the butter and brown sugar. Maple syrup sounds good too.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like mine roasted with cinnamon and a little brown sugar on them.

LOVE! Had some earlier this week.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just made this and liked it alot. But, be forewarned... the stats they posted with it are totally bogus. Without the walnuts was like 159 calories per half (not the B.S. 87 calories they list) and with the optional walnuts was 209 calories. I used MFPs recipe calculator... and its take per 1/2 squash serving was: 209 calories, 38 carbs, 8 fat, 4 protein, 30 sodium, 11 fiber

Here's the recipe and I added 1/8 of a cup of broken walnuts pieces to the filling. Yummy. If you omit the walnuts, then per MFPs recipe calculator, it would be 159 calories, 37 carbs, 3 fat, 2 protein, 29.5 sodium, and 10.5 fiber.

BAKED ACORN SQUASH WITH APPLE STUFFING

Yield: 4 stuffed squash halves (4 servings) View Online: http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/html/803.shtml Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes Book Info: http://diabeticgourmet.com/book_archive/details/26.shtml

Ingredients

- 2 small acorn squash (1-1/2 pounds total), halved and seeded - 1 large or 2 small apples, peeled, diced - 2 tablespoons diced celery - 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion - 2 teaspoons margarine, melted (I used Earth Balance to keep it dairy free for my needs) - Pinch of salt - Pinch of freshly ground pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a square baking pan with nonstick pan spray.

Place the squash cut side down in a baking pan. Bake 20 minutes.

While the squash is baking, combine the apples, celery, onion, margarine, and 2 tablespoons water in a medium bowl; mix well.

Turn the squash, cut sides up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Divide the apple mixture to fill the cavities of the squash. Bake the stuffed squash halves, covered with foil, for 30 minutes more. Serve hot.

Nutritional Information (Per Serving) Calories: 87; Protein: 1 g; Sodium: 63 mg; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Fat: 2 g; Dietary Fiber: 5 g; Sugars: 10 g; Carbohydrates: 18 g Exchanges: 1 Starch <-bogus! I call BS on this... read my stats from MFPs recipe caculator above.

Suggested adds are cinnamon & walnuts
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am having mine with almond slivers and lite syrup if I have enough calories!
  • violet456
    violet456 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    We make a variety of soups from squashes. Acorn squash puree, coconut milk, vegetable stock, a bit of cumin and ginger and other seasonings you like. We also melt some tofu into it sometimes for added protein.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Yours sounds more interesting than mine.. Mine is kind of basic

Cut your acorn in half, so that you have two bowls.
    Place on foil covered cookie sheet.
    Just put your desired butter or I can't believe its not butter, or smart balance, inside those bowls.
    Sprinkle your desired brown sugar.. Maybe nutmeg or cinnamon... Poke a tiny bit with a fork.. But don't poke thru the entire bowl..
    Place in oven... Chill, take a bath, or exercise... Ooops it almost done..
    Take out of oven....
    Relax and eat your cute little acorn bowl. : )

Could you post your delish recipe for the stuffed one?? Yours sounds good.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cbuggin22
    cbuggin22 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump. Just bought an acorn squash. Can't wait to try one of these recipes!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Yummy ideas! Thanks!