Powerlifting and cardio?

Options
If you're a powerlifter do you add any cardio into your workouts? If you do, can you list them please? Because I really hate cardio, and I just want to lift hahaha. But I'm thinking about adding some cardio, so that's why I'm asking. :)

Replies

• wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT. It's short (20-30min), killer cardio, fun, and the endorphins are bank!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why are you thinking of adding cardio, especially if you dislike it? And when you say cardio, what types have you tried because just as there are many different types of strength exercises and variations of those exercises, there are a lot of different types of cardio.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I run 6k+, cycle 15k+ and swim 1k+, each twice a week. For me it's a great compliment to power lifting 2x-3x a week.
  • winfreeee
    Options
    I said I dislike it so I obviously would like to add it into my workouts duh lol. I'm just asking for different types of cardio people prefer that's all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio as I hate it.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Boxing is my favourite type of cardio.
  • winfreeee
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • artxe
    artxe Posts: 7
    Options
    yes on rest days something light like jogging for 30-40 mins
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I trail run 3-4x a week. It fits in with my overall fitness goals.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I run sprints twice a week takes about 20 minutes. I also row occasionally.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I spent a decade competing in powerlifting. I still train the powerlifts but don't compete. I add a half an hour run/jog, stationary bike or elliptical session to the end of my workouts (there's a tv to watch). It's helped me prevent weight gain and REALLY helped my blood pressure, pulse rate and other "numbers".

Your profile says you're on "varsity" powerlifting. So high schools in your area have powerlifting teams? What state is that? They don't do that in Missouri.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I started hardcore powerlifting at age 17 with a bunch of bad *kitten* guys in the 80's, all I did was lift weights no cardio at all, I lifted heavy till I was 24 and had my 1st baby, I did not really start doing any cardio till 34 , I did see great results then, more definition, but I believe the reason I was able to build such a good muscle base back then was because I focused on weightlifting, and god and I glad I did now, I've had 3 babies and at 49 I am hanging in there pretty good, You look lean already, so if building up is your goal right now , just do that.. Enjoy powerlifting , I miss lifting heavy do not do that anymore
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Cardio isn't my favorite thing, either, but I do it for my heart and lung health because, let's face it, powerlifting training doesn't do much to get your heart rate up for a significant amount of time.

Having said that, I hate running and it's bad for my lower back stenosis, so twice a week I take a boot camp type of class, which is pretty high intensity. Aside from that, sometimes I'll run the stairs for 1-2 minutes at a time, with a 60-second break, for about 15 minutes. I suppose that qualifies as interval training. I'll also walk on the treadmill and gradually increase the incline to about 15-20% over about 20 minutes. That really gets my heart rate up without stressing my back.

I do sometimes do steady-state rowing on a machine just because I enjoy it. I'll usually do about 30 minutes at a pretty good clip. Sometimes when I row, I'll throw in some intervals where I row really fast for about 30 seconds, then row at a moderate pace for a few minutes, then repeat that.

Cardio isn't really necessary for powerlifting training, but I do think it's necessary for optimal health, at least for me. I do know that many powerlifters cut back on the cardio training in the weeks leading up to a meet. Good luck!