Do you log your veggies?

Options
When I did Weight Watchers, I could eat all the veggies I wanted without logging them. Should I log them in MFP?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Including 0 calorie items. But anything with calories (including veggies) should most definitely be logged.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yes. Log everything.

You didn't have to log them on Weight Watchers because they used the points system and veggies were free.

Here, it's all about the calorie count. :)
  • emilygray7165
    emilygray7165 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I do log them myself but I can see how it might lead to people going wrong with their eating. I mean, some people would rather have 200 calories of chocolate than 200 calories of fruit/veg. If you find it easier not to log them, it shouldn't really affect your weight loss, and it's really more important that you're getting all the nutrition you need. Either way, there aren't many calories in vegetables, so whether you log or not, it shouldn't make much difference. :)

Good luck!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should log them. MFP goes by calorie intake, not points.. I try to log everything I eat, it all has calories.. Good luck..
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Logging your veggies isn't about calories..it's about carbs. Definitely log your veggies. If not...you may be exceeding your recommended intake for carbohydrates.
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, its a good habit to get into to log everything. Some days I could have 300 calories worth of fruit and veggies.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and Weight Watchers works so good for most people... NOT. Log all food. If you eat multiple huge portions of veggies you may in fact be consuming quite a bit of calories. I need to limit sugar, so I need to know my macros. I log everything.
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you don't log everything, you have no idea how many calories you are consuming vs the calories you burn with exercise and could be eating way under what your body needs for fuel, or way over and maybe you shouldn't have that cookie you were contemplating because you already filled your calorie goal. If you are a vegetarian, you wouldn't log most of your intake. Log everything then you know where you stand.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes.

If you're doing WW, the points are set a bit lower to account for the fruits and veg. Even then, some people don't lose on WW because they stuff in so much fruit.

If you're doing MFP, the calories are not set low to account for non-tracked fruit and veg, so you should track them.

Longer answer: It depends. For example, if I eat a chicken sandwich with two leaves of lettuce, I am not going to bother to track two lettuce leaves. Yesterday I ate four carrot sticks and I don't think it's going to kill my weight loss if I don't track those. If I eat a larger quantity or a more calorific vegetable (for example, corn, potatoes, or eating a pound of broccoli) I definitely track that.
  • PamelaGailJacobucci
    Options
    I used to log veggies, but don't anymore. I've never heard of people getting fat from veggies.....but then again, I'm very strict with my diet (because of food intolerances) so I guess it depends what the rest of your diet looks like.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yes. I log everything that has calories, even black coffee. Vegetables don't have that many calories, it's true, but fruits other than berries do, even if eaten in the raw state. A very large apple has nearly 100 calories. Also if you add butter or cheese to flavor vegatables--extra calories. It doesn't take that much time to log it, in my opinion, and provides valuable information.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I track most of my veggies. It depends on how much I'm eating and what type I'm eating. For example, if its a just a tablespoon of onions on my burger, often times i'll opt not to log them... or something like that. However, I also keep track of how much fiber I'm eating... which is why I log my veggies. When I wasn't tracking my fiber, I'd only log calorie dense vegetables like Eggplant and carrots... but wouldn't bother logging iceberg lettuce. Honestly - not logging them didn't really affect my weight loss at all. I guess its up to you on how OCD you want to be with your logging. If you're just starting out, it might be better just so you can get in the habit of logging everything. :) Good luck!
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    considering a typical dinner for me includes 200-300cals in veggies alone (yes, I eat like a brachiosaurus) plus if I snack on carrots or steamed edamame through the day, i think i'd have a lot of unaccounted calories by now and wondering why i'm still 5lbs heavier than I thought I should be by now... that's just me though.
  • Flabulousss
    Options
    I could easily go over by 500 some days not logging veggies... They may be healthy but everything has calories. It would only make sense if you hardly eat any and stick to low calorie veggies. It's not about the ability to get fat on veggies, but adding them on top of the calories you've already consumed which could screw up your deficit.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Having a salad/bunch of broccoli? I log it.

Putting a bit of spinach on my sandwich? I don't go through the trouble.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I see no point calorie counting if I don't count the calories in everything I eat.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    yes i like to log them in to make sure i get my vegetable nutrition, i think they are important, and i might forget that i ate them.

i think its good to include a wide variety of food in my week.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I had about 450 calories today coming from veggies and fruits. It's about 1.5 pounds of raw fruits and veggies I had today.
    For sure I count it.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    When I did Weight Watchers, I could eat all the veggies I wanted without logging them. Should I log them in MFP?

YES.

My Fitness Pal counts calories and other things like carbohydrates, one of them being fiber. If you didn't count veggies you wouldn't have an accurate count of calories, carbs, fiber or other nutrients like vitamins and minerals. I may be here to lose weight which means I must count calories but I also track my fiber and iron. If I didn't count my veggies I'd have a hard time figuring out my weight loss or for example, why I was constipated. Too much iron? Too little fiber? Or is it something else like lack of water or fats? I wouldn't know without tracking the veggies!!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I'm not anal about it. I just input fruits or vegetables by inspection a lot of times.. I won't be too far off if I use "large red apple" or "one cup of ___" instead of using a food scale.