wake up call horror stories and vent

Options
2»

Replies

• julia9955
    julia9955 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    IT'S THE SAME FOR ME... and the only time my dad thinks I've lost weight is when I wear flattering clothes. I lost 10 pounds a year ago.. nobody noticed.
    but more than 10 pounds have come back, and people haven't noticed that either :wink:
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    about 2 years ago i had lost about 20 pounds and was feeling awesome - until someone at work asked me when my due date was :noway:
    people can be so insensitive - just gotta rise above it and remember you're making strides towards a healthier you!

best of luck!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You have about the same amount of weight to lose as I did when I started July 1. If we were 15 lbs overweight, that 7 lbs would be much more visible! But, 7 lbs is still 7 lbs, so good for you! Despite having lost about 12% of my overall weight, no one - NOT ONE person has noticed that I've lost 23 lbs and I couldn't really see any difference until about a week ago (and it's in my face, not this gosh awful belly I have). Ugh. I know it's coming off because I'm throwing out or giving away clothes that are too big, and when I measure for inches lost every month I know I'm losing girth!

Don't despair! One of these days, someone's going to say to both of us, "Oh, my gosh, you look wonderful! Have you lost weight?" In the interim, you can know you're doing the right thing. You're doing great!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Also, some people will notice but not say anything. Sometimes it's hard to say things the "right" way because it might come out wrong or be taken the wrong way. Sometimes in a business setting it's not appropriate to comment on a person's appearance even in a positive way. Sometimes daddies see you so often that they don't notice the small changes! Give it time, enjoy the benefits that you're already feeling! :) You're doing great.

Thanks for this - I think this is very true and hadn't considered this side.
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    I am down 42 pounds and only now are a few people starting to notice. And the people closest to me are not among them. I think that is natural, they see you more often.
  • sbatz111
    Options
    I think we all get comments. My dad tells me I'm too thin (and I'm still almost 100 pounds overweight) and my doctor thinks I haven't lost enough. You can't make everyone (or sometimes anyone) happy except yourself.

I carry my weight in my stomach, and after losing over 100 pounds, I only went down 2 jean sizes. I notice, some people don't.

You have to do it for you, not for anyone else.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    The only way to win is do this for yourself!
    (My Dad called me, Fat *kitten* my whole adult life, when I lost 100 pounds
    He now says I am to skinny,( I am 61 years old)
    Do it for YOU!
  • Maureen214
    Maureen214 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you vented and I hope you feel better. I also thank u cause u inspired me to just take A quick selfie of my face. I've lost 16 pounds so fAr and cAn't really see it. My dear hubby to told me he could totally see it in my face. So I found a selfie I took about two weeks before I started MFP and posted the two to compare and I can see a small difference. So knowing I'm on
    My way and I know it and he knows it and I can see it I these pics is going to keep me going. I have to do the full pics and measurements but have been putting that off. But two quick photos of just my face made the difference for today!! So THANK YOU and keep going!!!
  • schobbs09
    schobbs09 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I first started people who didn't see me often noticed right away that my clothes looked looser, but in the 8-9 months since I started, not one of my coworkers has said anything. It really depends on who sees you all the time I guess. I just have to keep telling myself it's how I feel.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight I always ask my husband if he can tell and he says I can't tell because I see you every day. You look the same. That always discourages me...

This.

I've lost 40 pounds and the sh*thead still sees me as the big girl.

This is probably one of the many reasons why we are splitting...
  • Posesqueen
    Options
    I try not to let other people dictate how I feel about trying to lose weight. It's been a struggle. I get a lot of "you don't have to lose weight" and "you look just fine" from people who didn't understand how frustrating it is not to be able to wear slacks to work because my pants don't fit! Unless you have an eating disorder or unhealthy gym addiction, realizing healthy goals has to be about what YOU want and what YOU are willing to do to get there. If no one notices, I am ok with it, but I am not ok with having to wear A line dresses to work every day because my pants don't fit. I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but keep in mind you're already here, and you're already working towards your goal. That is the biggest step!
  • barbalari
    barbalari Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Come on gorgeous, you can do it! I've 'only' lost 12 and a half pounds but my clothes are already looser and I've lost 4 inches off my waist (thanks to loads of spinning!). However my incredibly insensitive mother actually looked me up and down when I told her, as if to say "where from exactly?" and didn't offer any sort of pat on the back! I don't care...I can feel it, I can see it and I feel so much fitter, healthier and happier than before. Makes me realise that, like every other aspect of my life, I'm responsible for my progress and how I feel about myself, and I'm the one who'll enjoy it the most! Good luck sweetie :flowerforyou:
  • gluteusassimus
    Options
    When I lose weight I always ask my husband if he can tell and he says I can't tell because I see you every day. You look the same. That always discourages me...
    My boyfriend said the SAME thing to me. I see him everyday, and I could tell he lost weight, and I always let him know he's looking fantastic. But the moment I bring up something about me losing weight, he tells me he can't notice.
This discussion has been closed.