Replacing cereal

Options
There is nothing I want to do more then replace cereal. I've tried and tried best so far is to get a healthy one and use almond milk. The kicker is I eat so much of the damn stuff because it's so easy to set up.

I mainly only eat it in the morning or if I wake up during sleep hungry.

I just can't seem to find a good replacement that is as easy to set up and filling >< 800+ cal from cereal is not ok with me lol.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Nytehunter
    Nytehunter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Steamer bags of veggies. Pop in microwave put on clothes poor into dish add olive oil and favorite seasoning blend. Power breakfast!
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Breakfast wrap, pancakes, waffles, bagels, biscuits, English muffins, oatmeal...?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    What's so wrong with cereal? It has lots of great nutrients, is high in fiber, and keeps you full for a while. I eat Kashi Go Lean almost every day, normally with 1% milk. It's a 270 calorie breakfast. I feel fine all morning and stay regular :) Now, if you're eating 800 calories worth of cereal, that's a whole other problem!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Bread perhaps, or scrambled egss with beans...
    Tortilla wraps are a good alternative as well

How about oatmeal or natural muesli?
  • giorgioc722
    giorgioc722 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I need smaller bowls ><

I have this weird thing where I wake up every night and eat, and I'm insanely hungry,

Cereal seems to be my go to and I guess cause it's easy for me to make in my sleepy walk.

Eggs in the morning sound nice. So does pancakes. I would do oatmeal but normally I save that for mid day or before sleep.

muesli? Never heard. Ignorant me,
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Eat the cereal if you enjoy it.

Its not that many calories really. And has good stuff in it.
  • jphoto801
    Options
    You didn't specify the motivation of ditching cereal. What would you replace it with?

Two cups of Cheerios and some skim milk would be an exceedingly healthy snack or breakfast, especially before going out for a jog or whatever.
  • Daerina8
    Daerina8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try 1 tbsp of holy crap breakfast cereal mixed with 4 tbsp of greek yogurt (I use yoplait source vanilla greek yogurt). It's very healthy and very good for you. It can be pricey, so if you want you can make your own holy crap cereal from scratch (it's pretty easy really) for a fraction of the cost.
    http://www.healthy-weight-loss-help.com/how-to-make-Holy-Crap-Cereal.html
  • Ottawa_Randy
    Ottawa_Randy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Fiber1 (original) is a great Cereal for low cals and lower carb as well. Fiber-1, 3/4 cup, cup of Raspberries and an Premier Vanilla shake over top just tops 400 cals and is very filling.
    There is a low carb granola recipe as well, featuring TVP, unsweetened cocnut, nuts and seeds "JANINE'S LOW CARB "GRANOLA" but is higher in cals. about 15g protein, 3g Effective carbs/serving.

Thanks Derina, I posted just a minute later but that looks interesting.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think cereal is great - I have Weetabix just about every day! When I have anything else, its usually with far more calories (either vast amounts of bread, or a fried breakfast - so I try to stick to the cereal!)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are we missing the real issue here - you waking up in teh middle of teh night and eating?

If thats the case then you're not giving your body and your digestive system a chance to rest.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    what's your objective when replacing the cereal? a lower calorie option? a higher protein option? something habitual to break the middle of the night eating habit?

for lower calories - veggies (carrots, celery, cauliflower peppers,etc) already cut up and ready for snacking might help. you could portion them into a cereal bowl in the fridge and place them in front of the milk to remind you.

for higher protein, Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder might be a good replacement because it would be a similar bowl/spoon ritual.

if the problem is waking up and not being able to get back to sleep without eating, you might try a self-hypnosis recording. I've used Glenn Harold's recordings weight loss recordings to stop me from eating in the middle of the night. I listen to the recording in bed instead of letting myself get up. it puts me back to sleep.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    We eat hardboiled eggs instead of cereal.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I want to do more then replace cereal. I've tried and tried best so far is to get a healthy one and use almond milk. The kicker is I eat so much of the damn stuff because it's so easy to set up.

I mainly only eat it in the morning or if I wake up during sleep hungry.

I just can't seem to find a good replacement that is as easy to set up and filling >< 800+ cal from cereal is not ok with me lol.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem as you until I found: Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus Multibran Flakes: Fat: 1.5 grams; Sodium: 135Mg; Potassium: 125MG; Carbs: 23g; Fibre: 5g; Sugar 4g; Protein 4g - 3/4 cup = 110 calories. It is very filling, cost $6.99 for 35 ounces/1kg box from Whole Foods. Give it a try.
  • giorgioc722
    Options
    I have very well mannered self control till it comes to waking up at night and for some reason at 1am I'm just mister idgaf and pour whatever amount into the bowl.

My goal was to hopefully find some kind of food to help the issue till I could totally fix it. Like currently I had cereal and I made sure that it was only one cup and all is well.

So yes the real issue is me waking up and I can't seem to fix it. I'm pretty active I can burn up to 2k exercise cal in a day sometimes. The issue is I'm afraid of over eating. On some days I already eat at 3100cal. That's scary. Been stalled on weight loss for a few months, crazy I lost more weight when I did less.

I'm currently trying to find a fix to that problem. If it's over eating, under. I'm unsure.

It's not bored eating either, my body is legit hungry. Kinda sucks.

I'm going to look into that natures path.
  • giorgioc722
    Options
    what's your objective when replacing the cereal? a lower calorie option? a higher protein option? something habitual to break the middle of the night eating habit?

for lower calories - veggies (carrots, celery, cauliflower peppers,etc) already cut up and ready for snacking might help. you could portion them into a cereal bowl in the fridge and place them in front of the milk to remind you.

for higher protein, Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder might be a good replacement because it would be a similar bowl/spoon ritual.

if the problem is waking up and not being able to get back to sleep without eating, you might try a self-hypnosis recording. I've used Glenn Harold's recordings weight loss recordings to stop me from eating in the middle of the night. I listen to the recording in bed instead of letting myself get up. it puts me back to sleep.

I like the veggie idea, I kinda want to try and prepare that tonight before I go to bed.

Also thank you for all the great ideas and concern thus far :D
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The kicker is I eat so much of the damn stuff because it's so easy to set up.

I used to eat a LOT of cereal for the same reason, plus I just love cereal. There are only a few foods I love that I've mostly cut out, but cereals is one of them. It's such a big box of yummy, easy to eat too much of it. Now, I only keep Cheerios in the house. They are good, but not good enough to eat 8 cups of regularly.

Also, I've decided that I am worth the extra time it takes to prepare a wider variety of snacks.
  • giorgioc722
    Options
    The kicker is I eat so much of the damn stuff because it's so easy to set up.

I used to eat a LOT of cereal for the same reason, plus I just love cereal. There are only a few foods I love that I've mostly cut out, but cereals is one of them. It's such a big box of yummy, easy to eat too much of it. Now, I only keep Cheerios in the house. They are good, but not good enough to eat 8 cups of regularly.

Also, I've decided that I am worth the extra time it takes to prepare a wider variety of snacks.

Indeed, I freaking love it. I tend to find it easier not to have problem foods around, but that can't be the case in my house.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I eat cut up fruit/thawed frozen fruit , like blueberries, cherries, a small banana, etc. with about 150 grams (5 oz or so) of low fat greek yogurt and sprinkle cereal on that. Usually a half serving of a high fibre cereal. That way you still the taste/crunch of cereal, but eat way less. It's still works out to 350-400 calories, but way less carbs, more protein. Sometimes I add almonds. Yum!