Suggestions for meeting caloric intake goal...

Options
Hi All...
I am wondering how do people meet their caloric intake goals daily. My problem is when I exercise I blow out the number of calories I have eaten in the day and don't want to eat a dinner that is too chuck full of calories. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    plan ahead. estimate your exercise calories and plan your day's nutrition accordingly. there's no need to have a giant dinner, just increase all your meals by smaller amounts.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I just talked to my trainer who told me strength / weight training can burn 400 - 500 calories for 1/2 hour depending on how hard you work out. I do this 3-4 times a week and am not getting any credit on the exercise tracker for calories. Anyone else running into this same issue?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    hoyahen, dried fruit and nuts are a great way to boost your calories...it's nutritional and 1 cup is 350 calories...that's insane! That's my "snack" when i come home at night from the gym...you aren't going to be dead on your calories every day...just stay above 1200 and try your best.

SMarie10, I hate that we can't track our weight training either...your best bet is to ask Santa for a heart rate monitor like i did...that way we can track it ourselves...everyone is so different when weight training that there isn't one set way to calculate calories...it's just like when you're doing cardio on a machine...write down what the machine says not what MFP says...because i certainly do NOT burn 600 calories on the bike like MFP was telling me...the best i can do is 210 lol...
  • leighclayton
    leighclayton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes I have noticed that calories burned for strength training are really low on the exercise database too . I've heard that strength training burns calories for 24 + hours afterwards so maybe it is hard to calculate?
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Add-ons to your meals & snacks:

Whole milk
    Nuts or nut butters (try something like almond for a change)
    Cottage Cheese (not the fat free kind)
    Apples or berries
    Greek yogurt