Food intolerance

Options
Hello :) I'm looking for advise on what to eat! I feel like I can't eat anymore without my stomach going mad! I have the bloating nausea etc. My doctor has always told me that I had IBS and I used to eat a high fibre diet but then it got worse! When I seen him again a couple of times he told me I defiantly have some sort of food intolerance and to keep a diary to monitor the foods that trigger my symptoms. None of the doctors do food intolerance testing in their surgeries! I lost weight without changing my diet or exercising and was constantly tired and hungry. The reason was that my body wasn't digesting or absorbing food and now my doctor is concerned it's gluten intolerance. I've sent off my bloods for the coeliac screening test and am still waiting on results, it's been over a month! He said in the meantime continue eating as normal and don't cut out gluten as it will interfere with further testing. The problem is that now no matter what I eat I am in constant discomfort anyway! I'm tired feeling like this. Does anyone have any experience regarding my problem? Thanks :)

Replies

• Baba_Roxy
    Baba_Roxy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hiii! I have VERY similar issues from ages 19-22! I was ALWAYS sick; I could barely eat anything without having some sort of abdominal/stomach discomfort! After a long series of BS from doctors, and after having CRAZY symptoms (random skin rashes, Iritis, etc.) I found out I have Celiac Disease; an allergy to gluten! I am also lactose intolerant, but if I do happen to have dairy (which is rare) I take lactaid pills for it.

It is a STRUGGLE to find these things out! It took my mom's doctor MONTHS before finally getting results for her, and she's got a wide variety of food allergies. My advice to you is to BE PERSISTENT! I called my doctor so many times once I felt I was waiting too long for results, and he finally stepped up and got me the information I needed. I also had to change doctors twice before I found one who didn't just send me on my way with some diagnosis he pulled out of his *kitten*. Some doctors are fantastic, and some...not so much.

If you do have a gluten allergy, don't fret! It will be difficult at first, but now, after a year of being gluten free, I RARELY miss it! On top of that, my weight isn't all over the place and I'm almost never sick!

I hope the best for you! Keep us posted!
  • Arlz_20
    Options
    Thanks a million for your response! It's very frustrating dealing with it day in and day out especially when I'm in work and some sort of flare up occurs and my stomach ends up crippled but I've to work through it :( but thanks I'll defo keep at the doctor :D lots of people told me that it was difficult to diagnose it through bloods alone so I asked him would I have to have a biopsy and he said I was reading too much! Hopefully something will show up soon :)
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh this happened to me last year - I went through months of being sick. I've always been dairy intolerant, but this took it to a new level. I went through months of testing & finally a colonoscopy to determine I had an unusual form of colitis. Even after that it took a few months to get on meds that worked! You might want to find a Gastroenterologist to see - they'll do more testing and better capable to determine what's wrong.
  • lynwalker31
    Options
    Certainly sounds loke coeliac been one for a few years now, apart from the food more expensive and having to read all labels of food, its quiet easy to follow. Good luck