Binging issue!

Options
So the past few days I haven't been very faithful to my healthy eating habits. It seems like no matter what I eat-- whether it's foods that are high in protein and fiber or otherwise-- I can't satiate my hunger. I'm always hungry, especially around dinner time. So whenever I get home from classes or work, I raid the fridge and cabinets for anything-- and I mean anything-- to eat.

I somewhat understand that this is probably because I've been a lot more active lately-- I run four times a week, ride my bike to class and to work, do yoga twice a week, and quite recently I'm trying to put circuit training into my regimen for three times a week. So I'm assuming my metabolism is being affected by this too, so I'm getting hungry more often. But I don't want to increase my calorie intake in fear of keeping the weight I have on-- or worse-- gaining the weight I already lost.

So I guess my question is this: What do you guys to do avoid or remedy the monster hunger? What kind of foods or recipes do you have that you could recommend me that might help keep my hunger at a manageable level? And-- if I should increase my calorie intake-- how should I go about that without gaining or keeping weight on? Please let me know your suggestions!

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Are you drinking enough fluids thirst is often mistaken for hunger
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Are you physically hungry? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but think about it. We're you physically hungry because your body was low on nutrients?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Kayleigh,

I don't see where you log anything into your diary. If you use MFP to calculate your goals and accurately log exercise and food, you will be able to tell whether you are actually overeating or not, and whether you will gain weight from your food.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    Options
    Kayleigh,

I don't see where you log anything into your diary. If you use MFP to calculate your goals and accurately log exercise and food, you will be able to tell whether you are actually overeating or not, and whether you will gain weight from your food.

Yes.
  • kayleighlang5
    kayleighlang5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Kayleigh,

Yes.

I know, I know.

Admittedly I haven't been logging in my food appropriately-- which I should do. It's only been a couple of weeks that I haven't logged much though.
  • kayleighlang5
    Options
    Are you physically hungry? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but think about it. We're you physically hungry because your body was low on nutrients?

No, it doesn't sound weird at all!

Uhm, perhaps. I've been trying to keep a general idea of where all my nutrient are going and if I have enough. I try to look at my fiber, protein, and iron intake. I would say that I am physically hungry when I get home around dinner time though.
  • kayleighlang5
    Options
    Are you drinking enough fluids thirst is often mistaken for hunger

I try to drink as much water as I can! But maybe I'm not drinking enough? That could be it.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    Options

Uhm, perhaps. I've been trying to keep a general idea of where all my nutrient are going and if I have enough. I try to look at my fiber, protein, and iron intake. I would say that I am physically hungry when I get home around dinner time though.

Then my darling, eat. I suggest making a wholesome filling meal for yourself (in advance might help) and eat it! Just make sure you stop once you are satisfied. The tummy feels happier when it's full of a good meal rather than snack foods. Good luck!
  • confused_truffle
    confused_truffle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Usually the larger my earlier meals are, the smaller my later meals are.

Maybe if you have a really bulky breakfast or lunch it will change how you feel when you come home.

Also, habits form around binging really quickly. It's vital that you break the cycle however you see fit. Go to the library with a snack before dinner, go shopping at a local thrift store/Target, anything to basically rewire how you respond to coming home for dinner.

Hope this helps.
  • kayleighlang5
    Options
    Usually the larger my earlier meals are, the smaller my later meals are.

Maybe if you have a really bulky breakfast or lunch it will change how you feel when you come home.

Also, habits form around binging really quickly. It's vital that you break the cycle however you see fit. Go to the library with a snack before dinner, go shopping at a local thrift store/Target, anything to basically rewire how you respond to coming home for dinner.

Hope this helps.

Good idea! Perhaps some good grains and fruit? What meals do you eat for breakfast that would be pretty bulky?

Ugh, and I've been seeing that too! I've been getting a lot more comfortable going home and binge eating (which isn't good). I'll have to get some prepared packaged snacks and try to keep my mind busy before dinner (maybe almonds?)
  • kayleighlang5
    Options

Then my darling, eat. I suggest making a wholesome filling meal for yourself (in advance might help) and eat it! Just make sure you stop once you are satisfied. The tummy feels happier when it's full of a good meal rather than snack foods. Good luck!

Thanks a lot! Do you have any meal suggestions that you personally eat that fills the stomach of good nutrients? Just trying to keep my eating possibilities interesting : ) I'm a vegetarian so I'd love to have some cool vegetable meal ideas!
  • kayleighlang5
    Options
    Okay, so thanks to a lot of you, I think I know what I need to focus on in order to avoid these easily tempting binges:

-I need to look at how much water I'm drinking and try to drink more (because I honestly don't think I drink enough of it)

- I need to find some kind of distraction to help me not raid the fridge before dinner time (I really like the library idea!)

- I need to eat filling meals to help keep my hunger satiated and full

- Eating a bulky breakfast and lunch might help me from wanting to eat the entire house

- Also, it looks like I need to get back into logging my food intake again and see what's going on

If you guys have any recipe suggestions for a filling breakfast and lunch, I would love to know about it! I'm a vegetarian so I'm always up for trying new ideas and concoctions!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As others have said you should start logging everything. Even if/when you binge. It may also help to keep a mood diary so you can see if there is a link between your binges and your mood.

If you're hungry, that's your body's natural way of telling you you're not eating enough. What is your calorie goal? Could it be that you've set it too low? Are you eating back exercise calories? Set your goal to lose 0.5 or 1lb per week.

Also be sure you're getting an adequate intake of protein, fat and fibre - these keep you fuller for longer.