Losing weight, keeping belly.

ashleighk2010
ashleighk2010 Posts: 135
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Thanks.

Replies

• Also, I know I may yet see results from my current diet when I get farther down in weight, but I'd like to help it along in any way possible. I was just reading an article about some people not being able to get rid of it because of genetics and I sure hope I'm not one of them. =]
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Sadly, you really can't "spot reduce" fat in one area by doing exercises in that area. Tightening the muscles do help, but as you've noticed it doesn't make much of a difference if it's hiding under fat. The best way to reduce fat overall is just to maintain a diet low in fat and high in protein and get in lots of cardio. Cardio is great for burning fat, but don't neglect strength training. Building muscle all over burns more calories at rest. Just stick with it and eventually your stomach will shrink. I started at 200 lbs and I didn't really notice a big difference until I lost at least 30lbs. Even now at 157, my tummy is still a trouble area but it is flattening out. You're doing everything right, just make sure you follow some of these tips and it will help.
  • I say Liposuction or eat a peice of cheese before you faint. ehhhhhhhhhhhh jk. I know exactly what your talking about and I'm going through the same thing! I'm going to listen to what others are saying so I can do the same!!! ;)
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Sadly, the first fat on, is the last fat off, so if you had a tummy at 125, it's probably never going to go entirely away. It could definitely be genetics. Some people just can't have a six-pack regardless of how hard they work.

Cardio is the best for burning fat. Toning the muscles will help, but it won't get rid of the fat that covers them. (Though muscle burns fat, too...)
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    I am in the same boat as you. I've seen pretty good results throughout my body, but I still have a belly. But I have been told first on, last off. So, I will just keep up the fat burning until I reach my goal and will do my best to not get discouraged. I try to concentrate on the positive achievements and not be distracted by anything negative. This has been a great journey so far.
  • pizzy
    pizzy Posts: 47
    stomach fat is the last place that you lose, and is usually the hardest to go away, you just have to keep pusing, do ab strength, to help tighten so when you do lose the stubborn fat itll show.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    My little pudge is my current goal. I still have it, I can definitely tell from 2 months ago, that it is coming off. I do cardio and strength training. It just takes time. It's one of the first places you gain weight in and it's one of the last places you lose weight in. It sucks! Definitely cardio is one of the best to take it off!
  • In the past I lost a lot of weight and got my body fat down to 12%. I still could not see my abs through all the work I'd done. Unfortunately many people need to be in single digit body fat percentages to see their abs. Even then genetics might be working against you (and me) and they might never show through. I'm going to keep working at it.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Sadly, the first fat on, is the last fat off, so if you had a tummy at 125, it's probably never going to go entirely away. It could definitely be genetics. Some people just can't have a six-pack regardless of how hard they work.

Cardio is the best for burning fat. Toning the muscles will help, but it won't get rid of the fat that covers them. (Though muscle burns fat, too...)

I keep seeing this last paragraph everywhere, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Can someone please explain to me why building muscle can not get rid of the tummy flab if muscle "burns fat, too"?
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    I got down to my goal weight through weight watchers but still had a pooch!! I found that limiting my sugar to 15 grams or less a day was a huge help!! In WW we don't even count sugar, just calories, fat & fiber, so until I started limiting my sugars I wasn't able to see an improvement. I read Jorge Cruise's book, The Belly Fat Cure, and started limiting my sugar and saw results, maybe it will work for you as well!
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    I keep seeing this last paragraph everywhere, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Can someone please explain to me why building muscle can not get rid of the tummy flab if muscle "burns fat, too"?

It doesn't burn the fat as quickly as doing cardio. Muscle changes the make-up of your body and so you burn calories/fat more effectively throughout the day. But if you're trying to get rid of stored fat, cardio will make a bigger difference in a shorter amount of time. What I meant was building up your abs is not going to the burn the fat in your stomach area. Your metabolism will be better in general, but it's not going to get rid of that fat.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    I have had the same experience, however when I really limit my sugar and watch my carbs I see a significant difference in my belly. I pretty much cut out all of my bread, rice and noodles, but stayed at roughly the same caloric intake and looked and felt much leaner through the mid-section.
This discussion has been closed.