Over 55 and wanting to lose the extra weight

Options
Hello, I'm brand new to Myfitnesspal.com
Found it yesterday when I googled "free calorie counter". What a wonderful free service!

I have at least 20 pounds to lose, more to get my BMI down. I know it can be done.
I've started a new life living on a ranch in the mountains of Northern NM and taken
a job as a clerk in a nearby small village. I sit all day so I've put on weight.

I'm 56 and want to be fit as I age. I walked off 36 pounds two years ago and I've
allowed 12 lbs. to creep back because I haven't exercised regularly.

That's what I've learned, that over 50 you GOT to move it to lose it. Happy 2008.
May we all be healthier in the new year.

Alixk

Replies

• alixk
    alixk Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello, I'm brand new to Myfitnesspal.com
    Found it yesterday when I googled "free calorie counter". What a wonderful free service!

I have at least 20 pounds to lose, more to get my BMI down. I know it can be done.
    I've started a new life living on a ranch in the mountains of Northern NM and taken
    a job as a clerk in a nearby small village. I sit all day so I've put on weight.

I'm 56 and want to be fit as I age. I walked off 36 pounds two years ago and I've
    allowed 12 lbs. to creep back because I haven't exercised regularly.

That's what I've learned, that over 50 you GOT to move it to lose it. Happy 2008.
    May we all be healthier in the new year.

Alixk
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • alixk
    Options
    Hey thanks, icandoit.
    I like your user name. It's a positive affirmation.
    My password for this website is a positive affirmation too.
    Be well.
  • SaraHeitz
    SaraHeitz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HI I AM 60 AND 5 YEARS AGO UNDERWENT A TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT ON MY LEFT KNEE. BEFORE THE SURGERY I LOST 100 POUNDS. IN 5 YEARS I GAINED ALMOST ALL BACK. MY PROBLEM, I INJURED MY BACK IN A FALL ABOUT THE SAME TIME AND AM NOW ALMOST 100% DISABLED. I CANNOT WALK BUT JUST A FEW FEET AND CANNOT STAND. I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT BUT I ALSO NEED TO FIND A WAY TO EXERCISE, OTHER THAN THE POOL. I CAN GO TO THE POOL OCCASIONALLY BUT NOT ENOUGH TO REALLY HELP. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON EXERCISES i CAN DO IN BED? GLAD TO BE HERE.

SARA
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara,
    My wife had two total knee replacements and a partial hip replacement a year ago. Last fall she hiked with me for six miles in the Ochoco mountains (up and downhill, rough terrain, etc.). She too felt like she would never walk again more than across the living room...and even that was painful. She did it by doing chair exercises, and then slowly just walking up and down our driveway, then to the end of the block...she did gardening and anything that just kept her moving. it was very frustrating for her, as I'm sure it is for you, but those tiny little increments have led to her being able to hike, snow-shoe and horseback ride with me. God bless medical science! You can do it. Don't give up. I'll point my wife to your comment and let someone who has been there encourage you. I know that every situation is different, and it sounds like you have an even tougher road ahead, but we'll stay with you if you'd like us to.
    Cowboy
    Options
    Hi, It seems we have simialr stories. I just found the website today by google. I lost 40 pounds 3 years ago and have now gained 14 pounds back this past year. The culprit is that I stopped exercising on a daily basis. I am 59 and I agree with you - Move it to Lose it. Good luck. I am determined and it sounds like you are too. linda
  • Morecatslady
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HI I AM 60 AND 5 YEARS AGO UNDERWENT A TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT ON MY LEFT KNEE. BEFORE THE SURGERY I LOST 100 POUNDS. IN 5 YEARS I GAINED ALMOST ALL BACK. MY PROBLEM, I INJURED MY BACK IN A FALL ABOUT THE SAME TIME AND AM NOW ALMOST 100% DISABLED. I CANNOT WALK BUT JUST A FEW FEET AND CANNOT STAND. I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT BUT I ALSO NEED TO FIND A WAY TO EXERCISE, OTHER THAN THE POOL. I CAN GO TO THE POOL OCCASIONALLY BUT NOT ENOUGH TO REALLY HELP. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON EXERCISES i CAN DO IN BED? GLAD TO BE HERE.

SARA
  • Morecatslady
    Options

SARA
  • SaraHeitz
    SaraHeitz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG CAUSE SOMEONE ELSE'S PIC IS ON A POST WITH MY QUOTE. i DIDN'T MENTION, I AM COMPUTER ILLITERATE. i TURN IT ON, IT WORKS,:). ANYWAY, I HAVE A CONGENITAL BACK DISEASE THAT IS ONLY GETTING WORSE. REGULAR GRUNT AND GROAN EXERCISE IS OUT, AS I CANNOT PUT ANY EXTRA PRESSURE ON MY LOWER BACK, ITS A MESS. I AM LOOKING FOR EASY TO BEGIN WITH BED EXERCISES. THANKS FOR ANY SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT, CAUSE I REALLY NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. I DON'T GO OVER MY CALORIES, BUT I EAT WRONG.

GRAMS
  • alixk
    Options
    Hi Linda, Thanks for your comment. It's been quite a week. The pipes have frozen up where I live and there's no water. Everyday has been a challenge just trying to keep things clean. I haven't exercised much but I've eaten less. I sure hope tomorrow the weather is better.

Good luck and let me know how you progress.

Alix
  • alixk
    Options
    What an inspirational story, thanks for posting.

I can overcome my ankle then so much easier.

Good luck.

Alix